10.5 Reels

Just a feeler as I'm not sure if I'm actually getting this RTR.

The one I'm looking at does not come with reels, thankfully it has the hubs.

I have plenty 7" reels but no 10.5's.

If anyone has a couple they might be willing to sell down the road, let me know.

Much appreciated.

David

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited July 2018
    Do you "just" want a take up reel or do you want a reel with tape on it -- or both?

• oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Take up reels would be fine for now.
  • oldrocker
    Actually one with tape on it and one take up reel would be awesome.

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    Hey David - Which R2R you looking at?
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • mhardy6647
    tratliff wrote: »
    Hey David - Which R2R you looking at?

I was ahem curious, too :)

Pretty sure I can come up with a take up reel for the price of postage (I'm assuming you're somewhere in the US). Most of the tape I have is scratch 'n' dent, so to speak (i.e., recorded tape of questionable provenance). I'd be happy to 'check stock' and send you one if I have some surplus, but it'll be luck of the draw in terms of both tape type & contents :p I would try hard not to send one suffering from SSS*, though.

I do not have a strategic 10.5 inch tape reserve, unfortunately, so if you're looking for serious start-up supplies, I won't be able to help. :|

Shoot me a PM if you wish. Always happy to be an enabler -- as much as my resources permit me to! ;)

There is fresh production tape available that is reputed to be pretty good. Not cheap, but the price is commensurate with the value if one's serious about tape, I'd say.
    Mr. T.

Looking at a GX 635D.

Doc,

Pm sent.

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    Let us know what you think.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • mhardy6647
    :)

ijcwxcxed44s.png

(source: www.hifiengine.com)

• pongshi
    pongshi Posts: 376
    Vinyl may be a rabbit hole, but R2R is a sink hole :).
    Living Room
    Parasound Model 2250v2 amplifier
    Parasound P5 preamp
    Turntable 1 - Technics SL-1210Mk2 turntable with Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Turntable 2 - Dual 1229 turntable, Dual AS-12 45 RPM stacker, Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Schiit Mani Phono Preamp for Turntable 2
    Oppo UDP-205 CD/SACD USB and FLAC duties
    Technics RS-1500US reel to reel
    Polk SDA SRS (2nd Gen) fully modded
  • oldrocker
    Someone else got it.

Still got a couple others I'm chasing.
  • Did you find tape and reels? I have Maxell UDXL tape and metal reels
  • oldrocker
    I found a Pioneer RT-1020 L that has some reels but thanks for the offer.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    Not sure why but I've been thinking about looking for a RTR. I loved cassette and had a 3M Wollensak portable RTR for a while but never had a decent RTR. Then I'd need some music to play on it...
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2018
    deleted (irrelevant content)
    Post edited by mhardy6647 on
  • oldrocker
    Sk

I've enjoyed the ones I have.

Mine are not great quality machines but they do work.

For me, the engineering that went into these things along with listening to music and just watching the reels go round and round is the biggest thing I enjoy about them.

I got lucky on my first one, it came with 15-20 unopened blank tapes which I've made a few recordings of my favorite songs.

I would like to find a quad receiver someday.

I'll send you a pm of one I know for sale that might make a good starter deck. It doesn't come with any reels but I have a few 7" reels I could send you if you decide to go down the RTR path.

David
  • oldrocker
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    You can make your own 'music to play on it' once you have the deck! ;)

The only problem with finding a "decent RTR" is financial. Buying a cheap used deck is like buying a cheap used Mercedes. As it is said:
    The most expensive car you'll ever own is a cheap Mercedes.

For tape decks, one either buys restored (and pays for it), or one buys a hobby :|
    I have quite a few hobby pieces floating around here.

I agree Doc.

I just got lucky on most of the ones I have found.
    The RT 1020 L being a not so lucky one and go figure, it plays the 10.5" reels which is what I wanted. D'oh!!!