Broken IC Plug Pin

zingo
zingo Posts: 11,256
I noticed that the signal IC to my living room subwoofer (Atlantic Technology 372-PBM) had been disconnected, probably from the dog or the 5 year old running behind the couch. I went to plug it back in and realized that the center pin had sheared off inside the female RCA plug on plate amp!

Any idea how I can get it out?!? The broken pin is about half-way down the "barrel" of the female RCA connector, and it's keeping me from plugging a new one in, so I can't use it right now.

Any ideas would be great as I don't want to replace a plate amp (that probably isn't made anymore) just because of a broken pin in one connector.

Thanks!

Comments

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    I have an idea, but you'd have to be careful and I'd probably wait for someone else's input first. Assuming the center pin is hollow, take a mini screwdriver (the kind for fixing eye glasses) and put a tiny drop of crazy glue on the tip. Then carefully stick it in the hole and inside the pin and make contact for a couple minutes and then then try slowly pulling it out. Not sure if the glue will hold, but I remember the old commercials of a construction worker gluing his hat to something up high and suspending himself.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    edited July 2018
    How did you get the word "Audiophile" next to your screen name? I've never seen an option to add a word there. I'd have fun with that!

u1vydhajeg8i.jpg
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Maybe a magnet would work? But probably not, most connectors I've used are not magnetic.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited July 2018
    Even if it is not hollow no reason that shouldn't work on a solid pin. Could you use the old rca to mate up with it? How hard would it be to just replace the phono jack?
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Appropriately sized drill bit if it's hollow. Use finger tips only, but once it grabs, it should come out easily. The other option is push it the rest of the way through and fish it out when it drops. UNPLUG THE AMP FIRST BEFORE DOING ANYTHING
  • zingo
    Hermitism wrote: »
    How did you get the word "Audiophile" next to your screen name? I've never seen an option to add a word there. I'd have fun with that!

I was given that when the forum was in its old software, and it's a relic to my understanding. :smiley:
  • zingo
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Even if it is not hollow no reason that shouldn't work on a solid pin. Could you use the old rca to mate up with it? How hard would it be to just replace the phono jack?

It is a solid pin, and I'm going to take the plate amp off tonight to see what access I have to those connectors.
  • zingo
    The model is actually the 452 PBM now that I’m looking at the back.