Biamping Questions

smglbrth
smglbrth Posts: 1,458
edited April 2002 in Technical/Setup
I need some help with biamping. This is my first time entering this arena and I have some questions. I'll soon have two Carver M-200t amplifiers and a preamp and the speakers I own are RTA-8t's. How do I hook these up so I'll have one amp running each speaker for stereo sound? Am I running into more than I plan to deal with or is it simply having two "y" RCA cables to hook up? One for the left and one for the right channels from the preamp to each amplifier? The Carvers are capable of running into 300 watts with one speaker in 8 ohms. They are bridgeable.
Any insight you folks could give me would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks in advance!!
:cool:
Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
Post edited by smglbrth on

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2002
    Do the RTA-8t's have two sets of inputs for each speaker? (high and low frequency inputs) If they do you can use 1 amp per channel with one channel going to the low and the other channel going to the high of each speaker. I have heard that called vertical bi-amping. In that case you would use a Y connector to feed the signal into each amp. If your speakers only have a single pair of inputs (full-range) and you can bridge each amp that would work also.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • smglbrth
    edited April 2002
    Madmax (like the name),
    They only have the full-range terminals, two wires. These were made back when things were simpler with only two wires running things.
    That's what I thought also. Run each amplifier mono with each speaker, which to me would make stereo sound with both speakers and amps.
    The thing I question is how would I hook up the amplifiers to the preamp. Would I hook up single RCA's? Meaning, would I only hook up the right channel, single RCA, to the amp that I would be using for the right channel and vise versa? Could I actually run only one single RCA to the one of the two RCA inputs on the amplifier, one being left, one being right? Or do I have to get a "y" RCA and hook the one single right the preamp then the two on the other end to the one amplifier running the right side and vise versa?
    :(
    I hope you see what I mean since things I've tried to find on the web make this much more difficult than it should seem.
  • BBUBBA
    BBUBBA Posts: 66
    edited April 2002
    One thing you want to watch out for is a uneven load when bi-amping. Its better to use a amp for both high drivers and another for both low drivers. When getting into Bi-amping you don't need a huge amp to run your highs and also some amps will sound aweful just driving tweeters. lots to think about and listen to.
    but you need to split the audio signal with a active crossover. to get the cutoff frequencys . This is providing that your speakers are bypassing the passive crossovers. I really don't feel that Bi-amping is worth it if your still feeding a low or high signal into a passive crossover (eats watts). No real benifit.
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited April 2002
    I think I know what you are asking? If the amp's are bridgeable(run mono),you will only need to run one single interconnect from the pre-amp to the amp. It will tell you on the back of the amp which input to run the signal.(l or r) So, from the pre-amp the left out to one amp and the right out to the other amp. You can't bi-amp the RT-8's. Did I even come close to answering what you were asking? ;)
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • madmax
    edited April 2002
    Most people think of bi-amping as running separate high and low but I do understand your question. It all depends on the particular amp you have. When you bridge it you have to hook up the speaker outputs a certain way and as for the inputs sometimes you have to use a Y and sometimes only the left channel input. Again, it depends solely on your amplifier and how it was designed. What kind is it? Hooking a separate amp up to each speaker like you are considering works great.
    Probably the question you really need to ask is "I have a (brand/model number) amp and I need to know how to bridge it?"

Hope this helps.
    madmax

PS: madmax from the Road Warrior is where I got the name.

• Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited April 2002
    He has a Carver M200t.

Aaron
  • madmax
    edited April 2002
    I found this in a review of the M500t (different but similar):

"Since I had the second amp, I went ahead and bridged the 2 for my left and right. Let me tell you, the soundstage has opened dramtically. I cannot believe that by "doubling" the power, music can sound more "real." When I listen to piano music, its as if the piano is in my living room! Sure, it sounded great before, but the difference between having the 1 amp for left and right, to dedicating an amp for the left and right is like night and day."

With that said, Does anyone know the specifics of bridging this particular amp? I couldn't find anything.

madmax

• smglbrth
    edited April 2002
    To all who replied, Thank You!
    Just a small note to let you know that I finally talked to someone who knew the Carver M-200t and he stated exactly how it's supposed to be hooked up, including the speakers and the RCA cords. Oh Boy!, Can't Wait!!:D
    Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate it!!
  • whitj07
    whitj07 Posts: 10
    edited April 2002
    Just out of curiousity, if you had a speaker that was bi-ampable, but didn't have the funds to buy 2 amps. How would hook it up so it would sound the best?
  • madmax
    edited April 2002
    You would bi-wire them. Run seperate speaker wires to the lows and highs and hook them together back at the amp.
    madmax

• whitj07
    whitj07 Posts: 10
    edited April 2002
    Ok that makes sense, thanks.