Rega Planar 2 opinions

mlzmboknv6za.jpg
It's time to upgrade from my Audio Technica LP-120 and on to something that's a couple steps above.
In my browsing around I keep stumbling across Rega's "Planar" series (specifically the 2) and all its positive reviews.
I'm not familiar with the Rega brand, but I've never heard anything bad about them. So I guess that's a good thing.
Digging deeper into this turntable it looks like the Planar 2 has the right price tag and has almost all the features I'm looking for.
The only thing that I'm not particularly fond of is how they've eliminated the ground wire and integrated it into the shielding of the RCA cables.
But if any of you guys have any experience with the Planar 2. I'd like to hear your thoughts. Or am I barking up the wrong tree, and there's something way better out there?
The Night is Dark and Full of Terrors

Comments

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited July 2018
    Excellent entry if you're looking to buy a brand new turntable. Great reviews all over the place. Fixed headshell and weighted for the OE cart so, if you make a change, it won't be very "easy." You can upgrade to the glass platter and some other features on some sales sites.

Performance Pack etc...
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    I have a P3 w/ the same arm in the pic which, BTW, to upgrade, would set you back about double of that table & arm*. Its* way under priced considering the SQ it delivers. A major pain to set up but it’s a set & forget package.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • stainless0steel2
    stainless0steel2 Posts: 193
    edited July 2018
    I've noticed there's alot of aftermarket options for these tables... I like that. B) And most of that stuff I can reproduce at work.
    The more and more I read the Planar 3 is actually the better option. I'll wait until I can find a used or refurbished one to pop up.
    The Night is Dark and Full of Terrors
  • Montoya
    Montoya Posts: 506
    If you need a Polkie price on one of these bad boys hit me up.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    How about a cart suggestion for a mid ‘80s Planar 3 - a low output MC?
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Montoya
    Montoya Posts: 506
    Quintet bronze is good.
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    How about a cart suggestion for a mid ‘80s Planar 3 - a low output MC?