SVS SB-4000 vs. SB-16 Ultra

alucididea
alucididea Posts: 113
So I’m trying to decide between these two subs without having the opportunity to listen to them since I live in an area without any reasonable audio store. The power on both are great. The size is irrelevant to me. But after examining the SPL chart, it seems the 4000 slightly bests the 16 Ultra. I’m mostly interested in musical quality but also enjoy the low extension for electronica and rap/hip-hop as well as movies.

The app available is also a decent consideration although I realize the YPAO equalization does a reasonable.

LSIM 707s as my mains powered by an NAD M22/Yamaha 3070.

Price isn’t really an issue, I’ll probably end up with 2 of them by the end of the year anyways.

Am I missing anything? Might any of you have any input I could consider?

Thanks in advance!

I’m also open to hearing other suggestions from other companies though I’m really not trying to spend more than $2k each.

Comments

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    The 16?ultra will have more head room than the 4000, or more reserve if it needs it for bass intensive material.

Hsu and Rythmik are also very good subs at reasonable prices.
  • alucididea
    edited April 2018
    rpf65 wrote: »
    The 16?ultra will have more head room than the 4000, or more reserve if it needs it for bass intensive material.

Hsu and Rythmik are also very good subs at reasonable prices.
    The Rythmic F18 looks pretty solid...
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    I have a Rythmik F12 SE and it's very nice with music and no slouch with HT duty. I can only imagine how much deeper that F18 would go.
  • gwh
    gwh Posts: 1,451
    Check Svs's scratch & dent section I picked up a 16 for $1399 delivered a few months back, one small scratch by the amp. The app is very handy for setting the phase at your listening position.
    HT:
    Martin Logan Motion 40
    Martin Logan Motion 50XT
    Emotiva Airmotiv E2
    SVS SB16 Ultra
    Def Tech Reference Sub
    Yamaha RX-A3070

Signal Cable speaker wires & interconnects.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    What did you end up getting?
  • alucididea
    joecoulson wrote: »
    What did you end up getting?
    I didn’t end up getting one yet. Just for cost effectiveness I’m thinking I might go with the SB-4000. Eventually I want to have duals, so once that happens I’m sure they’ll be plenty.

I’m also going to explore a couple Rythmic models, specifically the F15HP & the F18. They don’t have quite as much power but I’m liking the idea of a rumble filter more and more, esp silly while I have housemates.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Ok so just thought I would throw this out there, the SB16 continues to amaze me. The depth of this thing is unprecedented but it’s the speed that surprises me. It’s as fast as a 10 but as much depth as an 18. Totally blown away by this thing. Totally worth the $$
  • alucididea
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Ok so just thought I would throw this out there, the SB16 continues to amaze me. The depth of this thing is unprecedented but it’s the speed that surprises me. It’s as fast as a 10 but as much depth as an 18. Totally blown away by this thing. Totally worth the $$
    Well that’s good to hear because the SB16 is definitey in contention. It stands out for so many reasons; I just wish it had a rumble filter.