Parasound HCA 3500 question

2»

Comments

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Don't sell the 3500 short, it is not your Parasound standard fare. This amp has John Curls DNA all over it. It. All components are selected by John and are of the highest quality. It was manufactured to his standards, not Parasounds. To say it is of lesser quality than MF is not accurate.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    That 3500 sold anyway so it's a mute point now but it is interesting to hear what others think of it compared to other gear.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    I hate to sound like a broken record but that 2200 II is still sitting on US Audiomart for 750 plus shipping. I know its older and will need to go back to Parasound somebday, but I wonder how it compares to the 3500 other than current. Im also eying a McCormack DNA 1 and Butler 2 channel amp since I may be able to upgrade soon and want my next amp to be a keeper ie 5 or more years.....
  • motorhead43026
    That's too bad, those don't come up often.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    $1300 + a recap gets you close to an A21 which is very solid. When I chose my A21 I tested it against a used HCA 2200A. SQ on the A21 was much more refined and made it the winner. Not sure how it stacks vs the 3500 but the Halo's sound great at their price point.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    I hate to sound like a broken record but that 2200 II is still sitting on US Audiomart for 750 plus shipping. I know its older and will need to go back to Parasound somebday, but I wonder how it compares to the 3500 other than current. Im also eying a McCormack DNA 1 and Butler 2 channel amp since I may be able to upgrade soon and want my next amp to be a keeper ie 5 or more years.....

Since you mention McCormack, there's two McCormack DNA 500's for sale in my general area right now. I know those are supposed to be excellent amps but they are a little spendy at around 3k for either one.
  • motorhead43026
    The HCA-2200II is head and shoulders above the standard HCA-2200.

The 2200 is Parasounds based on a John Curl design, the 2200II is a Curl design.

• motorhead43026
    edited July 2018
    Gerres26 wrote: »

Since you mention McCormack, there's two McCormack DNA 500's for sale in my general area right now. I know those are supposed to be excellent amps but they are a little spendy at around 3k for either one.

Those were like 7k new I think.

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    7000k ? That's $7,000,000 LOL
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • motorhead43026
    edited July 2018
    You missed my revision at 8:45......LOL.

• kevhed72
    Little bit a background info on my room
    - There is a door opening to the right of the right speaker, so some type of balance control on the amp OR pre is a must. Right now I find myself moving the balance to the right 2 to 4 clicks, depending on the song, to even out the stereo effect
    - Im sold on monitors for speakers and plan on adding a send REL t5 sub in the future. Given the room and portability, I dont see going to floorstanders for a long time.
    - I would like to avoid a 'space heater' for an amp, since my room tends to hold heat very well. Im guessing most amo dont have this issue, even in class A, if they are driving my Totem Rainmakers (?)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Don't sell the 3500 short, it is not your Parasound standard fare. This amp has John Curls DNA all over it. It. All components are selected by John and are of the highest quality. It was manufactured to his standards, not Parasounds. To say it is of lesser quality than MF is not accurate.

Ah, not true. The modified version of the 3500, the BBQ replaced 200 components with better ones. That's the amp which is not standard fare.

However, the comments were not about build quality, they were about sound quality and in that regard I too prefer Musical Fidelity.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• motorhead43026
    My remark meant to be higher quality not highest than Parasond products based on Curl designs. Wasn't that BBQ what later became the JC series.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Yes, the stereo BBQ was the model for the JC1 mono blocks.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902

Either the McCormack or the Butler would be my preference. Might lean a bit more heavily towards the Butler. Runs quiet and cool as a cucumber.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ab0tj
    ab0tj Posts: 40
    I hate to sound like a broken record but that 2200 II is still sitting on US Audiomart for 750 plus shipping.
    Nope, it's been bought and paid for. Just waiting on him to ship now :#
    Marantz SR6012, Parasound HCA-2200II, LSiM705 L/R, S35 center (yeah, I know...), 2x PSW505
  • kevhed72
    ab0tj wrote: »
    I hate to sound like a broken record but that 2200 II is still sitting on US Audiomart for 750 plus shipping.
    Nope, it's been bought and paid for. Just waiting on him to ship now :#
    Let us know what you think....I will probably keep himming and hawing before I make a decision. It looks like you got a pretty good deal.

• ab0tj
    ab0tj Posts: 40
    I am definitely excited to see what my RTi's sound like with some real power behind them.
    BTW, didn't mean to step on any toes here, I bought it before I came across this thread...
    Marantz SR6012, Parasound HCA-2200II, LSiM705 L/R, S35 center (yeah, I know...), 2x PSW505
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    psssh... freakin' toe-stepper...
    I disabled signatures.