Yet another "Amp for my RTiA9" thread

ab0tj
ab0tj Posts: 40
Hi all... I picked up a used set of RTiA9's last year for a smokin' deal. I did read that these speakers need an amp to sound their best, but I guess I dismissed that (like many others have done) with a thought along the lines of "my receiver has plenty of power, it will be fine". I have since learned why that is not true so I just run them crossed over to a pair of PSW505's.

I recently picked up a Marantz SR6012, mainly to get preouts. Next I need to get an amp to pair with it. I've been reading all the threads on this same subject and it sounds like my best bet is a Parasound HCA-1500A, but they seem to be hard to come by right now. So my question is if anyone has been using these with a Carver amp? The TFM-35X looks like a pretty good fit, not to mention I like the looks of it and they seem to be easier to find. Carver also has a reputation for making warm sounding amps so that may be a good match for the RTi's. I just wanted to run this past you guys before pulling the trigger, or is it worth it to wait for a Parasound amp to come along?
Marantz SR6012, Parasound HCA-2200II, LSiM705 L/R, S35 center (yeah, I know...), 2x PSW505

Comments

• ab0tj
    I forgot to mention... My setup is used for basically 50/50 HT and 2ch, but I care more about 2ch quality than HT. My next upgrade might be a preamp with HT bypass, but for now I'm just trying to make the best "all rounder" system possible within my budget.
    Marantz SR6012, Parasound HCA-2200II, LSiM705 L/R, S35 center (yeah, I know...), 2x PSW505
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    The Carver would work, just that you'll have to check with the seller if any work has been done to it. Those amps are pretty old and may need some updating if nothing has ever been done to them.

Look for a Parasound 1200 also, or B&k amp to pair up with the 9's.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    I had both a Carver TFM-45 and a TFM-55, though I never ran them with RTi's. Very nice amps that look and run very cool.

Agree with Tony on checking to see if any work has been done. I was fortunate in that both Carver's I owned had been re-capped.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • ab0tj
    Thanks for the input, guys. I am handy with electronics so re-capping would not be a problem for me.

I have seen B&K amps mentioned quite a few times as well, but not much in the way of specific model numbers. Is there a specific model or series I should be looking at? Trying to stay around $500 (used).
  • ab0tj
    Another thing I should add... I kinda like a "bright" presentation, as long as that means "detailed in the high end" and not "shrill and ear piercing". Am I going to lose some of that detail going with a "warmer" amp?