FS: JM Lab Focal Mezzo Utopia Pair

So, I said I would never sell these, and I guess it is still a true statement because I am replacing them with the exact same speaker, but they had the covers and such, so... yeah.

Easily my favorite speaker I have heard, perfect size for most peoples house. Excellent bass response to around 30hz, do not need a subwoofer for music. Huge soundstage... honestly just a phenominal speaker.

Sold new for 13k back in 1998, the current production replacement sells for north of 20k …

Weighs around 140 to 160 pounds a piece, has a top notch point to point crossover already... hand made in france…

Truly something you can pass on to your children

So these particular speakers, they are a 6-7/10 - they have some marks and dings here and there, but are overall more than acceptable from a normal viewing distance for their age.

So interesting facts about the speaker

Each enclosure is separate, you can see through it
The tweeters are still available from JM labs, atleast the diaphragm, so in the event you blow one, it is $100 and you pop them in. These are original though as the new ones are a shiny silver.

Each woofer is no longer available from Focal, but they will rebuild them at 75% of the price of a replacement. You simply pay shipping to Focal USA and they actually pay shipping to and from France as they send them by container, takes 2 to 3 months to turn around.

Again, these are original and have not been serviced.

People think the crossover is in the middle compartment, its actually on the bottom and by removing the bottom plate, it is easily accessible for service.

Anyways, fantastic set of speakers. You cant go wrong.

$3,800 + freight (pallet) or $250 for up to 400 mile delivery or meeting

fa2wwm5wkckb.jpg
bmqeurfazkan.jpg
z15zbj6vme2z.jpg
3wqa99zazr1q.jpg
4fylgu31gha7.jpg
tcuer87jwf4a.jpg
2oji39lpdz5t.jpg
0li9bk7b8f3m.jpg
a2bmpembg2ap.jpg

- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    No brainer here kids, fantastic speakers. If I was in a different position, these would be mine.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    Thanks Tony!

First speaker I experienced where I describe their sound to people as a "presentation" versus a reproduction. You feel like you are hearing a display of art versus like a flat response reproduction from most speakers. Truly an enjoyable sound. I just couldn't pass up a set with the wood covers and such... Im OCD as they come.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    I have personally seen these speakers. These are not photoshopped, they are actually real speakers that Trey has.

Sound good too. Pristine shape.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    LOL!
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    Did you update the xovers at all ? Also where is local? If my wifey liked me better at the moment I would try to get these. GLWYS . Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • VR3
    These are stock

Will drive 400 miles from 28088

Better to ask for forgiveness than permission
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Wow

Correction, the Focal Scala Evo are now $39,999.... this is a steal.

https://overtureav.com/speakers/floor-standing/focal/focal-scala-utopia-evo-detail
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • VR3
    That is a hefty price tag for sure. While this one does not use the Beryllium tweeter, the tioxid is nothing to pass over, beautiful smooth and detailed highs.
  • tonyb
    If any of youz guys need a push, here's a review from 1998....

https://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/273/index.html
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • VR3
    Yep, and like I said, I am replacing them with the exact same speaker, very happy with their sound and build quality
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Mmmm sandwich...... technology
  • VR3
    Taste like fiberglass and foam!!!
  • VR3
    I may be having grills made for these by my fabricator, now that I have covers this will be easy to do...

May be willing to offer them at cost to an interested party
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    Damn nice speakers, i bet they sound great!
  • jonicont
    jonicont Posts: 277
    Wish I had a larger room. Only 50 miles away
    SDA 2BTL, VPI Prime, Soundsmith Zephyr MKIII, Rogue Ares Magnum, McCormack DNA 0.5 Gold, ARC LS-17se, Cambridge cxn v2, MIT AVT MA ic’s and speaker cables, ps audio stellar power plant 3

• VR3
    The room I keep them in is like 22 x 14 I think, they do not need a huge room, this is the smallest utopia tower so they are fairly easy to get good sound
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    jonicont wrote: »

I'm only 20 miles away. If you buy them I'll come over and listen to them and drink all your beer.
    Mooresville is where the warehouse is located.
  • VR3
    You back in NC?
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Not yet. Soon though.
  • VR3
    Let me know, see ya soon
  • jonicont
    VR3 wrote: »
    The room I keep them in is like 22 x 14 I think, they do not need a huge room, this is the smallest utopia tower so they are fairly easy to get good sound

13x18 but that would put the listening position close to the back wall and block the bathroom and my vinyl storage closet
    SDA 2BTL, VPI Prime, Soundsmith Zephyr MKIII, Rogue Ares Magnum, McCormack DNA 0.5 Gold, ARC LS-17se, Cambridge cxn v2, MIT AVT MA ic’s and speaker cables, ps audio stellar power plant 3

• jonicont
    lightman1 wrote: »
    jonicont wrote: »

I'm only 20 miles away. If you buy them I'll come over and listen to them and drink all your beer.
    Mooresville is where the warehouse is located.

Usually only stock tequila but I guess I could buy some beer--down in Marvin. Anyone local is welcome to drop by

• VR3
    Yeah, small spaces can be tough. When I had them in the room last I had them 6 inches or some from the back wall and about 4 ft or so from side walls, sounded fantastic
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    tonyb wrote: »
    No brainer here kids, fantastic speakers. If I was in a different position, these would be mine.
    I just need to find the $3800 in my mattress or buried out back.....

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    WLDock wrote: »

Just don't dig in Tonyb's yard...... that could get you new shoe's >:)
  • VR3
    You guys are a trip

• tonyb
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    WLDock wrote: »

Just don't dig in Tonyb's yard...... that could get you new shoe's >:)

Dig in my yard and you might find someone else's shoes. ;)

These speakers still here ?? Guys, these are sweet....anyone wanting to up their game, here it is. Buy these speakers, buy everyone else socks for Christmas, they'll get over it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • VR3
    Alright guys, let's move these to a new home... Free delivery and setup, 500 miles

Last bit I am selling except for. Another small Amp... Need to make room!
  • VR3
    Hmmmm jamming on these today and they sure sound sweet
  • haimoc
    haimoc Posts: 1,030
    I wished I had room for these fantastic speakers.