Directionality of subs: Rearward or inward?

LittleCar_w/12s
LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
edited December 2004 in Custom Fabrication
Just wondering if anyone has reccomendations on whether it is more efficient to fire subs rearward from the back of the back seat, of if they fire inward (toward each other) from the sides of the rear. We are working with a hatchback here....
-Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
Post edited by LittleCar_w/12s on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2004
    def. rearward
    this will also produce the cabin gain effect and make it a couple of DBs louder
    never point subs toward each other...you will have massive cancelation
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited August 2004
    With my old hatchbacks (2 Mustangs), I had good luck firing them upwards(towards the glass in the hatch). With my current ride that has a trunk, they sound best pointing towards the rear.

Also I have had subs angled towards each other at 90 degrees *V*, However the speaker enclosure took up the entire hatch and backseat area. Yeah, it hit hard, but too much space was sacrificed.

Regards,
    PolkThug

edit: 90 degrees
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2004
    Right now Im running a JL Audio Micrsub box with 2 8's in it and it sits between the front and rear seat in the middle.

They work the best, and by a wide margin, firing to the rear and down at an angle.

I tried them rearward, facing up and firing straight down but this worked best.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    edited August 2004
    Only reason I had asked is I had seen a car where the guy put a 12" in each side facing inwards, it looked great, and used up very little room in the back. Ahh well, I guess I have to build the ultimate back of the back-seat box so I can have room left in the hatch... all that and I am gonna make it detatcheable if possible... it'll be keyed down though.. maybe a slide-out style with pin-locks?
    -Jerry
    The pic of this guys back trunk is below:

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited August 2004
    The reason that you'll typically find subs facing the rear of the car and angled upward is cause bass is actually magnified by reflecting off of other surfaces, this is also why most HT subs are either downfiring or reccomended to be placed a certin distance from the wall... I wish i had more specifics which i why i'm hoping to be able to get into the "physics of sound" class for my science class next semester :D that'd be a fun one :)
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    Subs work best in corners for the most part. Have you though of using a single 12" sub and putting it on the left side and use the right side for amps? This would leave a lot of room as well and a single 12 getting 500 watts will be about as loud as 2 12's getting 250 each. Just a thought.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited August 2004
    you could do something like that pic...just angle it 20-30 degrees and you shouldnt have a problem
    -Cody
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    edited August 2004
    the design I am working on has the subs facing rearward, basically each one facing the center of the rear... and the amp will be prominently displayed in between them if possible.. though the new amp has the wording horizontally spelled.... that might be hard...
    -Jerry
    edit: the reason I am doing this is I want to be able to access my spare tire WITHOUT taking my box out... man that sucks... I had to go through that at a tire shop.. they were gonna just air up my tires, but one of them had a HUGE rim dent, so they needed my spare's rim.
    -Jerry

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited August 2004
    hey, you idea thief :p the 2 subs w/ amp rack in between was gonna be my idea... anyways, that should work well; make sure we get pix when you're done
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited August 2004
    just duct tape the tire to the roof...problem solved:D
    man...i should get paid for all the great ideas i share with everyone;)
    -Cody
  • PolkThug
    edited August 2004
    Originally posted by LittleCar_w/12s

edit: the reason I am doing this is I want to be able to access my spare tire WITHOUT taking my box out... man that sucks... I had to go through that at a tire shop.. they were gonna just air up my tires, but one of them had a HUGE rim dent, so they needed my spare's rim.
    -Jerry

Nothing like pulling out the sub box out on the side of the highway while you change your tire. been there, done that. :(
  • exalted512
    edited August 2004
    well....i blew my tire out once...bad thing is my sub box is where my jack and stuff go...i had them in my tool box but the day before i rotated my mom's tires and left the jack out...
    that was fun
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    It does get irritating figuring out where to put all this stuff.

When I first bought my Ram, I said I wasnt going to mess with a stereo. I didnt have enough room and didnt want to deal with it. I went and bought a good Alpine head unit and some Infinty 6x9's and 5.25's and called it a day.

Funny this is that I lived with that for about a year. Then I got bored one day and decided to hook up a 14 year old Coustic 2 channel I had lying around, but I promised myself that was it!

Well once I started wiring I realized how much I missed this stuff and one I actually had clean solid power again I was immediately hooked again.

• exalted512
    edited August 2004
    i hope when my next system of usamps and dls iridiums and brahmas is complete...i wont want anymore...its too expensive...lol
    -Cody
  • MTXMAN
    edited August 2004
    yeah... i think the main reason i'm going for my doctorate in psychology is so i can pay for my massive audio addiction....
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • exalted512
    edited August 2004
    how much do you make with a doctrate in that?
    im getting my masters in electrical engineering which comes out to ~80k right out of college....im sure that your field is probably more though
    -Cody
  • MTXMAN
    edited August 2004
    with my doctorate i will probably make upwards of 250k per year... if i get into the right circles and do well i could make .5-.75mill a year... if i write books that sell well i could make millions... worst case scenario i'd estimate just over 100k for the first year or so after getting my doctorate...

so yeah... lots of audio :cool:
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    edited September 2004
    (Tire on top.. duct-tape)
    Well, actually I was wondering something... I want to eventually get a s-10 brush guard or something, a moon-visor, and maybe...... a top-rack... keep in mind that this is a very small car, it's just that I am quite a beach-goer, and would love the extra top-cary. Anyone know of anything that would not look too bad? (pic of outside below)
    (pics...)
    welll.. as far as pics go, i have to see if I can fix my front brake first, much more important than the sub enclosure.. but yeah, I won't forget about it. I was also wondering if anyone has recommedations on a grille, I am not very particular, but would like to have something strong, but since it's the older DB12 series, the X-Max isnt a big problem... I just don't want to use the waffles anymore. OOOH! (I'm pissed off again...) those f'kin stupid **** theives... they tried to pull em out that back window and marred my surrounds up because they smashed the waffles in.. GRR!!!

• LittleCar_w/12s
    edited September 2004
    The one above is a good pic of an identical car... but... I found my actual pictures (yay for archiving...)
    One day I'll find 13" rim atv tires... one day...
    Here's my car...

• LittleCar_w/12s
    edited September 2004
    forgot to attach (ahh.. now I'm a tripple poster... it's the end of the world...)

• exalted512
    edited September 2004
    grills are pretty much universal
    if you to the beach in atv tires youre going to bury your car...lol
    -Cody
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited December 2004
    actuley in ht if you want the best place you buy more subs and put then in the center od the side and not the corner. if you dont have that good of a sub you will want to put it in a corner. by faceing a sub tward the rear in a car you get less thd but you will get a sub with is more booyey. i am a sq type of person so i like my subs in a large sealed box but i did fase my sub back so i get a little lower thd. and so i can show it when o open the trunk.
  • exalted512
    edited December 2004
    what are you talking about??
    distortion has nothing to do with the position of your subs...
  • PolkThug
    edited December 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    what are you talking about??
    distortion has nothing to do with the position of your subs...

I think he's drunk! Somebody call goingganzo a cab!

edit: His banter sounds like another certain somebody that was kicked from here. Maybe his login was stolen.

"actuley in ht if you want the best place you buy more subs and put then in the center od the side and not the corner. if you dont have that good of a sub you will want to put it in a corner. by faceing a sub tward the rear in a car you get less thd but you will get a sub with is more booyey. i am a sq type of person so i like my subs in a large sealed box but i did fase my sub back so i get a little lower thd. and so i can show it when o open the trunk."

• MacLeod
    edited December 2004
    I think what he meant was by facing the sub away, you wont get the higher frequencies the sub produces and will make it sound a little deeper. ?? :confused:

• exalted512
    edited December 2004
    thats why they have crossovers...
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited December 2004
    The twin 10" subs that come in the Mustang Mach 1000 audio package are in the sides of the trunk pointed directly at each other. I wonder how much cancellation that actually causes...
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2004
    I would imagine it causes quite a bit. But who are we to doubt the masterminds that engineer OEM audio systems? :rolleyes: