Preamplifier Specifications

2»

Comments

• alucididea
    alucididea Posts: 113
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Nice, this is actually one type of product I wouldn't mind buying a refurb of.
    Safe & Sound has them for a decent price. Give them a call and they’ll probabaly do better than their listed price...
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited June 2018
    Still way too much for my budget. Plus I'm good on the preamp and amp front at the moment.

Thanks for the tip on Safe & Sound though, always nice to have another reputable retailer to shop at.
    alucididea wrote: »
    Safe & Sound has them for a decent price. Give them a call and they’ll probabaly do better than their listed price...

• alucididea
    @Clipdat
    Thought you’d want to see.
    The empty spot on my rack is for my Yamaha RX-A3070 (Yamaha is sending me a new one after a servicing issue)
    wby61220ace2.jpeg
    jjwngwz26tvi.jpeg
    e63i7ohy4v5v.jpeg
    q5ys9her41rv.jpeg
  • Clipdat
    edited June 2018
    Looks great! The backlit glowing NAD logo for a power LED is a nice touch. Nice looking room setup, I'm sure it sounds great.

Any initial impressions so far? Did you hook it up SE or balanced to start?

• alucididea
    Looks great! The backlit glowing NAD logo for a power LED is a nice touch. Nice looking room setup, I'm sure it sounds great.

Any initial impressions so far? Did you hook it up SE or balanced to start?
    Honestly, it sounds quite amazing. It definitely deciphers a crisp, clean signal. Lovely details with a powerful bass response, especially with some Tidal Masters tracks I tried so far.

Monoprice XLRs came in today as well, so I hooked it up balanced.

I’ve run into an issue, however. Not huge. But considering I bought it for this expressed purpose, I’m a bit let down.

So every time I turn off the M12, it resets the BluOS card. Have to go in and reset the network and reconnect the card to the app. From a usability point of view, its completely unacceptable. The only way around this is to leave “Network Standby” On, but then it doesn’t turn off the M22 connected via trigger. Overall, even this little aspect feels like quite a wrench in the gears.

I’m going to email NAD. But I have a feeling it just is what it is. :neutral:
  • Clipdat
    I don't fully understand what you're talking about here, because I don't know what a "BluOS card" is. Would you be willing to expand on exactly what that is and how it communicates to the M12?

From what you are describing, it definitely seems like some sort of design oversight that could/should have been caught at the factory.
    So every time I turn off the M12, it resets the BluOS card. Have to go in and reset the network and reconnect the card to the app. From a usability point of view, its completely unacceptable. The only way around this is to leave “Network Standby” On, but then it doesn’t turn off the M22 connected via trigger. Overall, even this little aspect feels like quite a wrench in the gears.

I’m going to email NAD. But I have a feeling it just is what it is. :neutral:

• Clipdat
    Yeah I think you might be right! I guess this thing is more like a mini computer than a preamp/DAC! Lots of advanced stuff inside. Hopefully it's just a software/settings issue.
    DSkip wrote: »
    I'm assuming it's a network issue. It usually is.

• alucididea
    I don't fully understand what you're talking about here, because I don't know what a "BluOS card" is. Would you be willing to expand on exactly what that is and how it communicates to the M12?

From what you are describing, it definitely seems like some sort of design oversight that could/should have been caught at the factory.
    The MDC BluOS card is a modular optional (internal) addition to the M12. Basically, it provides the same functionality as the Bluesound Node 2, if you’re familiar with the Bluesound line of products at all.
    I'm assuming it's a network issue. It usually is.
    I’m almost certain the issue is coming from the BluOS card and not the main unit. I just NAD will have some more detailed information and have some ideas on the actual problem.
  • Clipdat
    Thank you, that helps clarify for sure!

It sounds like the issue is with the integration or communication between the app and the add-in card.

Is the app exclusively designed to work with the add-in card, or does it work without it as well?
    Basically, it provides the same functionality as the Bluesound Node 2, if you’re familiar with the Bluesound line of products at all.

• alucididea
    Thank you, that helps clarify for sure!

It sounds like the issue is with the integration or communication between the app and the add-in card.

Is the app exclusively designed to work with the add-in card, or does it work without it as well?
    The app is designed to work with all Bluesound products and does need to recognize a local player to function.

What it seems like to me is that the card isn’t retaining the network information once it’s turned off.
  • alucididea
    edited June 2018
    Speaking from experience with multiple similar units and clients, generally the issue you are describing is a network unable to fully support it. I could always be wrong though. That's the first area I look at now.
    I believe I already figured out the fix with some googling. Seems I just had to factory reset the card and set it up again. Maybe it had something to do with me updating the firmware? None of the threads pointed to a cause, just a solution that seemingly works. I wonder for how long...

• Clipdat
    Any updates on this?
  • alucididea
    Any updates on this?
    Yeah, it actually sounded rather amazing. Everyone had been hating on the MQA thing, but I noticed a dramatic sound quality improvement. Actually, I noticed that because the BluOS card was integrated into the M22, the quality went up drastically even for lower bit rate tracks.

Unfortunately I had to send the M22 back. I just couldn’t afford to keep it at the moment.
  • Clipdat
    Thanks for the update. Hope you can revisit it (or something even better) at some point in the future.