Zu Audio Dirty Weekend...

2»

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    The problem with higher watt output w/ high eff. speakers is the sensitivity of the volume control

That's a preamp problem (gain and or volume control taper) not an amp problem.

I agree, it has to do with attenuation in the volume control sensitivity itself pre/integrated
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited June 2018
    Indeed -- in the olden days, sometimes folks would buy themselves some low-level volume control resolution by actuating the "-20 dB mute" switch (when was available) on a preamp or integrated amp.

:)

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    edited June 2018
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Just making sure you are aware

I've been seriously wanting to test some Zu's with my Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated 12watt. I still have some NOS tubes still in the box that I purchased from Brock ...a couple years ago :D:D:D

Looking forward to your thoughts bro

Feel free to PM me and give me a shout

I think I saw that amp at LS year before last, really nice.

I probably should have gone with the Sangria. Had them in the cart and changed my mind. Just wanted to keep it as cheap as possible for a whim purchase. This I'll email them and see if I can change it. They look the best I think.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    yes you did sir,
    It actually ran the debut of the LSiM 705's at LSAF

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/128877/lsaf-lone-star-audio-fest-2012-may-4-6/p3
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    That Simply Italy is a nice looking piece.
  • kharp1
    Impressive little amp!
  • kharp1
    I reached out to Zu about changing from rustic hickory to sangria. Hopefully it's not too late. Should have just gotten what I wanted and not worried about a few hundred bucks. I'm a dumbazz sometimes.
  • Clipdat
    I'm going to go against the grain (see what I did there?) and say you should stay with the rustic hickory finish. I just like it more. Shrug.
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I reached out to Zu about changing from rustic hickory to sangria. Hopefully it's not too late. Should have just gotten what I wanted and not worried about a few hundred bucks. I'm a dumbazz sometimes.

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Personal preference is the rustic hickory with Walnut being a close second.

I just find colored stains on light woods (maple with a red chestnut or similar) to be a bit...cliche. I prefer natural colors of woods myself.

Besides...I think the hickory will look better with the ACAs in my bar. ;)
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • kharp1
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Personal preference is the rustic hickory with Walnut being a close second.

I just find colored stains on light woods (maple with a red chestnut or similar) to be a bit...cliche. I prefer natural colors of woods myself.

Besides...I think the hickory will look better with the ACAs in my bar. ;)

Yeah, about those amp camps...
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2018
    I am just wondering about rustic vs. unrustic (or maybe urban?) hickory...
  • Clipdat
    Regarding WAF, I showed the various finishes to my wife and she said the Rustic Hickory looked "cheap and tacky" and that she very much preferred the American Walnut instead.
  • mhardy6647
    Walnut is timeless and very "American" as an aesthetic, I'd opine (and not negatively).

• Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    Sweet! I have a pair of original Omens in the Sangria Maple. They are a very involving and fun speaker. I have tried them on all sorts of tube and solid state amps and they sound good on everything I've tried. To date the best they have sounded was with a Marantz 2220B vintage receiver. I do have a single ended EL-34 tube amp on the way that I'm going to try with them. To date all of my tube amps have been push-pull. Congrats and can't wait to hear your opinion on them.
  • kharp1
    That's good to know Dawgfish, I've got a 2220b looking for a spot.
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    Sweet! I think you'll really like that combo!
  • ThomasD
    ThomasD Posts: 260
    Thread Resurrection !!!
    As much as I love my M7c's & SDA4a's, I've been 'lusting' after any of the Zu speakers in American Walnut since I first saw them online a few years ago. Got an email update from Zu that they were having a 'Skeleton' sale that included the DW's with free shipping to me (Alaska), which was a $500 saving in itself. Couldn't resist the urge and figured this would be the least expensive opportunity I'd ever see and ordered them on the spot. Got confirmation from Garret this morning that the order was placed and realized that in my initial excitement I had neglected to upgrade to Clarity Caps. Quick $100 fix. Anyway, really enjoy the way my Marantz 2230 sounds with my M7's & hoping it will sound just as 'liquid' but perhaps more detailed with the DW's. @Dawgfish & @kharp1 do the DW's seem 'bright' with your Marantz ? Many of the reviews seem to suggest a 'forwardness' similar to Klipsch horn speakers. Perhaps due in part to their high efficiency. Hoping to find that these DW's are as versatile as advertised. Thanks
    Carver M4.0t, M1.0t, M200t, TX2, C1, C2, Marantz 2230, 2010, 4070, 1030, APPJ 2013, Rega Brio, Marantz Imperial 7's, Klipsch Heresy III, Quartets, KG4's, KG1's, 'The Sixes', R-12SW, Polk SDA 2a's, Monitor 7cTL's, SDA CRS's, 4a's, Zu Audio Dirty Weekends, Pro-ject Acryl TT, Cambridge 851N, 351C, Panamax 5300PM
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    ThomasD wrote: »
    Thread Resurrection !!!
    As much as I love my M7c's & SDA4a's, I've been 'lusting' after any of the Zu speakers in American Walnut since I first saw them online a few years ago. Got an email update from Zu that they were having a 'Skeleton' sale that included the DW's with free shipping to me (Alaska), which was a $500 saving in itself. Couldn't resist the urge and figured this would be the least expensive opportunity I'd ever see and ordered them on the spot. Got confirmation from Garret this morning that the order was placed and realized that in my initial excitement I had neglected to upgrade to Clarity Caps. Quick $100 fix. Anyway, really enjoy the way my Marantz 2230 sounds with my M7's & hoping it will sound just as 'liquid' but perhaps more detailed with the DW's. @Dawgfish & @kharp1 do the DW's seem 'bright' with your Marantz ? Many of the reviews seem to suggest a 'forwardness' similar to Klipsch horn speakers. Perhaps due in part to their high efficiency. Hoping to find that these DW's are as versatile as advertised. Thanks

Congrats on you purchase!

If you are so inclined, the Monoprice 10 wpc all tube integrated may be a great , low-cost, option. It's on sale now for 25% off. Use the code RAKE25 at checkout.

https://monoprice.com/product?c_id=109&cp_id=10919&cs_id=1091903&p_id=27222&seq=1&format=2
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10