Jimi Hendrix - What album to buy first?

Clipdat
Clipdat Posts: 12,558
edited June 2018 in Music & Movies
I've been on a bit of a journey lately exploring some classic albums that I've never heard or been exposed to, and I've gotten some great recommendations from fellow members.

Having never really listened to any Jimi Hendrix, and certainly haven't listned to any of his albums from start to finish, I'm unsure of where I should begin.

Can anyone recommend which album I should pick up first, and on what format? CD, Vinyl, SACD? I was thinking maybe Electric Ladyland?

Comments

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Are You Experienced, this will wet your appetite for all things Hendrix. The format is not important, although I prefer black licorice.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • 55LS70
    55LS70 Posts: 184
    My suggestion is Hendrix in the West. If for nothing else. its version of "Red House." Current vinyl and CD versions (I have both) are fairly good and reasonably priced.
    Decware CSP3 Preamp, RCA 6DJ8, 2 X Rocket 6N1P-EV's, Cary SLA70B Signature V2 Amplifier: 2 X Mullard GZ32's, 2 X RCA/GE 5691's, 4 X Tung-Sol 6550's

Cambridge Audio 640C V2 CD Player & Dacmagic DAC

Rega Planar 3: Deep Groove Subplatter, P3 Motor
    upgrade, Dynavector 10x5, JA Michell counterwieght, Cardas tonearm wiring and Mapleshade stand

Parks Audio Budgie Hybrid Phonostage with BEL 6922 tubes, Polk Audio LS70's

H.H. Scott 330D AM/FM Tuner with H.H. Scott 335 Multiplex adaptor.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I would just go in chronological order: "Are You Experienced", then "Axis: Bold As Love", then "Electric Ladyland", then "Cry of Love". Or maybe just try "Smash Hits" as a good "Best Of" to start. I would become familiar with the studio stuff before venturing into the live material.
  • Clipdat
    Thanks talking Pug! I wanted to stick with a formal album as opposed to a best of type compilation, just to get the full experience/journey of listening to it start to finish.
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I would just go in chronological order: "Are You Experienced", then "Axis: Bold As Love", then "Electric Ladyland", then "Cry of Love". Or maybe just try "Smash Hits" as a good "Best Of" to start. I would become familiar with the studio stuff before venturing into the live material.

• motorhead43026
    edited June 2018
    I agree with Viking on the first 3 and in that order. Don't forget the BBC sessions bringing up the rear.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• Viking64
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Thanks talking Pug! I wanted to stick with a formal album as opposed to a best of type compilation, just to get the full experience/journey of listening to it start to finish.
    I believe none of his studio albums have been released on SACD yet. The first 2 will be in August. There is a thread about that on this forum. I have the first 4 albums on CD and they all sound great to me.
  • Clipdat
    edited June 2018
    It looks like there's two versions of "Are You Experienced"? A mono and a stereo?

Edit: Hm, might wait for the SACDs.
  • Viking64
    It looks like there's two versions of "Are You Experienced"? A mono and a stereo?

Edit: Hm, might wait for the SACDs.

Another thing about that album is there is a U.S. version and a U.K. version, with considerable differences in track listings. The thing to do is buy one of the newer versions that contain ALL 17 tracks from BOTH versions.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Essential Jimi Hendrix is a good starter set. You can pick it up on amazon for around a fiver used. Two discs all kinds of good stuff, but no Red House for some weird reason. I was about 12 when Are You Experienced came out and when I first heard it I'd never heard anything like it. I still think The Wind Cries Mary is one of the best songs ever written. Even after 50 years. Eventually, you need to get the studio albums, and in order is a good suggestion, but Essential is a good collection. I think the English version of Are You Experienced had Red House on it. Hendrix:Blues is a good record, flies under the radar for the most part. There was a deal that I posted several weeks ago where ElectricLadyland was on sale for $11 on 180 gram vinyl. I got one delivered about a week ago, great deal, super album, if that's still available its a NO BRAINER. Look back and find that thread and if its still available do it now.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/813BoUcVjTL._SX522_.jpg
  • dromunds
    In addition, after a while you may want to pick up the purple velvet box set shown here, which I've always liked a lot:
    https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71g3L8BwpZL._SY550_.jpg
  • dromunds
    This is the Smash Hits referenced above. Real good track list, not as inclusive as Essential Jimi Hendrix but in some ways the track list runs tighter from start to finish... Each has its positives ....
    https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/813nY0h0nsL._SX522_.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited June 2018
    Reading through this thread is interesting for me.
    I am not a huge fan, but I like the soft Hendrix best, FWIW.

The Wind Cries Mary is just a heck of a song, as is Little Wing.

As mentioned at the covers thread, I quite like his version of Hey Joe, too.

Also top-notch, I think, is Castles Made of Sand, although, old audiophile schmuck that I am, I really do quite like Tuck & Patti's cover :p
    YMMV, of course -- maybe too twee for Hendrix fans.

https://youtu.be/VSSpJ9_y6iA

A lot of his other music is just too self-consciously, bombastically Important to really grab me -- I am pretty much a Greatest Hits kind of guy vis-a-vis Hendrix.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Little Wing is essential Hendrix, but IMHO SRV's cover is better...
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    ok
    I admit, I skimmed all of the above, EVERYONE

always OMITS the best live JH album "LIVE AT THE FILMOR EAST"

You may have missed it cuz it's known as Band Of Gypsys

"Machine Gun" is my FAV . . . .
    Thank me L8R
    I guarantee you'll dig it
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited June 2018
    I would buy "Electric Ladyland" - UK vinyl version, the original release with that nasty cover from 1969. These can be a little pricey.

Sadly, I don't have one.
    Carl

• Clipdat
    Thanks for all the replies so far, appreciate it!
  • stuwee
    stuwee Posts: 1,508
    Clipdat, grab everything you can!! The man was unreal, no one ever played the guitar like he did, and Never will again, unless the Universe blesses us with another prodigy!!

I'm a HUGE Concrete Blonde fan, and love her version of 'Little Wing' https://www.bing.com/search?q=concrete+blonde+little+wing+video&form=EDGEAR&qs=PF&cvid=86be4c9567a248f8b075ea605b13c23c&cc=US&setlang=en-US&PC=HCTS

not my fav, you have to see them live doing this song it's due

"Bloodletting" is a very good, must have for a speaker workout, never fails to impress music fans at casa de la stu...
    Thorens TD125MKII, SME3009,Shure V15/ Teac V-8000S, Denon DN-790R cass, Teac 3340 RtR decks, Onix CD2...Sumo Electra Plus pre>SAE A1001 amp>Martin Logan Summit's
  • Clipdat
    I decided to order Electric Ladyland for now and wait until the SACD release of "Are You Experienced" and "Axis: Bold As Love".
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I hope you bought Electric Ladyland with the original cover.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    Looks like this:

hlmfcn2fixes.jpg
  • Viking64
    Looks like this:

That's the original U.S. cover.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • motorhead43026
    edited June 2018
    ^^That is the UK version, nice.

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    The first three and BOG,,, his Woodstock performance was not shabby either,, try to get your mind right,, thank goodness for the 60’s
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    ^^ hey - you don't do vinyl! ^^
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• Clipdat
    3o6ozC2VM9R0XSMNKo.gif
    MrBuhl wrote: »

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    MrBuhl wrote: »

I was wonderin' about that myself.
    Maybe he has a copy of Roxy Music's Country Life on licorice pizza, too.
    You know, just 'cuz.