Minidisc

joecoulson
joecoulson Posts: 4,943
Anyone still holding on to their minidiscs and players?

Comments

• mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    Right next to my Rio PMP.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • joecoulson
    Would love to get my hands on some of the released music on MD. I remember visiting a B.B. in 1994 and seeing U2 and others with MD albums in retail packaging. That would be so cool to have. I have seen a few around on the net but $$$
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Is there any advantage to it in terms of sound quality? Or are you just after it for the novelty/collectability aspect?
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Would love to get my hands on some of the released music on MD. I remember visiting a B.B. in 1994 and seeing U2 and others with MD albums in retail packaging. That would be so cool to have. I have seen a few around on the net but $$$

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    No real advantage to sound...its marketing was as a more compact method of carrying digital music.

The concept was great but it was just not pushed hard enough to become a mainstay. Plus the cost vs a regular CD was hard for most people to swallow at that point too. (Worked at Best Buy at the time)
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • joecoulson
    Novelty for sure. I know that my LP’s and hi res cd’s would always do better. Just love the technology.
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Anyone still holding on to their minidiscs and players?

I still use a Sony portable MD player and have a component MD player/recorder which I purchased directly from Sony.

When my local Target put the blank MDs on clearance, I purchased all of the blank MDs they had.

Occasionally, I will buy a pre-recorded MD off of eBay. It's more of a "curiosity" for me.
  • joecoulson
    I have a Sony MX-R35 and a JVC XM-448
    Both work flawlessly. But full disclosure, they are in my audio storage closet (with a bunch of other gear) not hooked up. Supppose I should but I don’t have room in my current furniture. I do love the JVC though. The remote is one of the most unique remotes I have ever seen.
  • joecoulson
    Just hooked these back up. Going to start recording the great music from internet radio streams on the CA.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I have a portable MD recorder thanks to the profound generosity of a MA-based audiokarma denizen. I keep meaning to use it for field recording of birds.
    I guess nowadays folks use smart phones :p