Tree removal in Charlotte.....long shot but it doesn't hurt to ask....

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    lots of Tannerite.....
    here hold my beer....
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    I took my Bradford pear down myself. Yours look to be about the same size. They are pretty easy to take down limb by limb. You don't need to fell the entire tree in one shot. Any overhead power lines? Buy a chain saw an git er done.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Buy some Beavers....and wait. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Or termites
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    Too bad we are not local to each other, I would do it for you. BUT...if you have never dropped a tree have an experienced person so it. They ain't that big but will still hurt ya if you screw up.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I would have them taken down myself, and had that done by my HOA before for one that split in front of my house along the street, but another option is severe pruning. It's amazing to see how Bradford Pear trees will regrow even after most of the heavy growth has been cut out of them. I have seen some along streets in surrounding neighborhoods cut back to about 1/2 their size and looking like they were scalped but they still spring back the next year. If they are not pruned routinely and heavily, they become hazardous. In my mind, it's better to get rid of them in the long run but they can hang in there if someone wants to spend the money for pruning. Once pruned out they can last for several years without much risk.

A tree cutter should give a discount for a number of trees. That could still just be a one day job for those. I'd guess in the neighborhood of $4-$5K is fair. The last tree I had taken down was a 100 foot tulip poplar for $2700 but then they also took down a diseased 50 foot elm for $800 since they were already there. The tulip poplar is another bad tree species to keep around a house.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    We have no HOA here. That was one of the conditions we told our realtor about. Been there, done that. I hate them with a passion and I was even the VP and President of ours for almost a decade.

I *could* do it myself but time is valuable to me and scarce to boot. Shoot, it takes me 3 and a half hours just to mow the yard with the tractor. I'll pay someone to do this as I don't feel like having 5 or 6 weekends tied up working all day in the heat.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited June 2018
    Those trees look like an easy job. Cut off the branches and feed them into your chipper. The trunk is not that big. A few guys can get it done in an afternoon so what is their hourly rate for $8000?

$2000 per tree sounds like an "I don't want/need to do it" price. Keep looking.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    Ah, need to find my guy, he took down literally 50 trees spanning 150 ft to 30 ft for like 2k
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited June 2018
    treitz3 wrote: »
    We have no HOA here. That was one of the conditions we told our realtor about. Been there, done that. I hate them with a passion and I was even the VP and President of ours for almost a decade.

I *could* do it myself but time is valuable to me and scarce to boot. Shoot, it takes me 3 and a half hours just to mow the yard with the tractor. I'll pay someone to do this as I don't feel like having 5 or 6 weekends tied up working all day in the heat.

Tom

Sounds like a good reason to get some Carverites and Polkies together if you ask me. Light the grill, throw some steaks and brats on, plenty of beer, and do some lumberjack stuff. Just don’t invite the Lightman or it will turn into this...

https://youtu.be/sZa26_esLBE
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    If you get someone to do it then make sure they have insurance. Otherwise you could end up in it for a lot more than $2K a tree.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • treitz3
    No doubt on that one!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • muncybob
    3.5 hours to mow the grass...how many acres you got?
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    muncybob wrote: »
    3.5 hours to mow the grass...how many acres you got?

Like he said, he's anal
    Makes a pass, recalculates, drinks beer....wash, rinse, repeat
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyb
    VR3 wrote: »
    Ah, need to find my guy, he took down literally 50 trees spanning 150 ft to 30 ft for like 2k

That's like...prison wages there. :) I took down 13 trees in the last 15 years on my property, and I still have 9 to go but 3 I need to hire someone for as they are over the house.

Tom,
    3.5 hours to cut the grass....on a rider yet ? Dude...kick it up out of 1st gear bro. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • muncybob
    I'm told that I'm anal too about our property. I alternate e/o cutting the mowing patterns on the "lawn" and it makes my wife laugh.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I used to cut in different patterns all the time. Arcs and circles, diamond patterns. It was fun when it could be seen from the street. Now the only real grass I have is in the back yard for my son to run around on.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    muncybob wrote: »
    I'm told that I'm anal too about our property. I alternate e/o cutting the mowing patterns on the "lawn" and it makes my wife laugh.

Haha! Me too and my wife laughs at me too!!
  • treitz3
    Yup, I alternate cut patterns every time I mow. It's only 1.3 acres but it is mostly grass. Very thick, healthy grass. We only have two tree lines, the house and a long driveway. Quite a few cut ins though. My record for cutting it is 2 hours and 45 minutes but it's usually so thick that I can't go that fast all of the time.

After having 6 straight days of rain this past week, it took me close to 5 hours to mow it and I'm on the highest setting it has with a 42 or 44" deck. I had to run it at about half speed otherwise it would just fold it over and clump up out of the shoot. I mowed it the day the rain started and it rained for 6 straight days. What can ya' do?

Tom

• tonyb
    Either you need a new mower or a new operator. Lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    edited June 2018
    Yup, I alternate cut patterns every time I mow. It's only 1.3 acres but it is mostly grass. Very thick, healthy grass. We only have two tree lines, the house and a long driveway. Quite a few cut ins though. My record for cutting it is 2 hours and 45 minutes but it's usually so thick that I can't go that fast all of the time.

After having 6 straight days of rain this past week, it took me close to 5 hours to mow it and I'm on the highest setting it has with a 42 or 44" deck. I had to run it at about half speed otherwise it would just fold it over and clump up out of the shoot. I mowed it the day the rain started and it rained for 6 straight days. What can ya' do?

Tom

We had this problem down here in FL. It turned out that the smaller mower and my Dad’s driving wasn’t working out. So now I mow and we have a Husqvarna with 24 horse power. LOL
    It still gets bogged down from time to time, especially above the septic tank when we come home after a 2-3 week vacation. At times I have to only do about a quarter foot per pass because it’s so thick. It has a 65” deck I think. The things a beast, and a tank. I also worry a little bit about blowing up every time I start it, because upon starting after a week of sitting, it smells strongly of smoke for about a minute, and then goes away.
  • treitz3
    edited June 2018
    tonyb wrote: »
    Either you need a new mower or a new operator. Lol

I'm going for new operator! LOL

Thing is, I was so busy last year that I did just that. Hired a landscaper to mow. Discovered early this year that perhaps that wasn't a good decision. It introduced so many daggum weeds into the yard that I hired a pro lawn care company to get rid of them. Now the lawn is serviced year round. The LAST thing I want to come home to after a hard day's work is weeds F'n up my lawn.

Tom
  • treitz3
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    We had this problem down here in FL. It turned out that the smaller mower and my Dad’s driving wasn’t working out. So now I mow and we have a Husqvarna with 24 horse power. LOL
    It still gets bogged down from time to time, especially above the septic tank when we come home after a 2-3 week vacation. At times I have to only do about a quarter foot per pass because it’s so thick. It has a 65” deck I think. The things a beast, and a tank. I also worry a little bit about blowing up every time I start it, because upon starting after a week of sitting, it smells strongly of smoke for about a minute, and then goes away.
    2-3 week vacation with no one mowing? *drops to floor*

Holy Moly man. I think mine has 29HP and I change the blades twice a year (have rotating blades that I sharpen or buy). It's just THICK. If I waited 2-3 weeks?

I would die.

......or at least want too.

It's already grown another 2" since the photo earlier on in the thread was taken. It's only been 2 days. Think about that for a second.

Tom

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited June 2018
    Was your neighborhood built where a farm or garden used to be?

My neighbors house was built where a garden used to be. They've had beautiful grass since the house was built and seeds planted. Their's thrived while mine died since I over weed and feed'ed it.

I love your lawn too. <3

Yards like yours and Daves' TAKE WORK and MAINTENANCE and CARE. ;)

There was a yard around the corner from me and going to a yardsale he had, I commented on it's beauty. He said IT SHOULD LOOK GREAT. He said it was like a full-time job for him the previous 3 years or so. He also said the real reason and most important part of great yards is WATERING.

That's the truth... plus killing those frikn white grubs that eat grass roots like kids eat candy after Halloween. :s
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • VR3
    Have you considered mild explosives at the base?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGNvDVKOxCk
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    OK, 70" must be the circumference...most people would refer to the diameter when talking about tree size. So you are looking at ~22" diameter? If there are no structures close, I would drop them myself.

Pear is easy to cut. Fairly soft and doesn't need a monster chainsaw. Take the branches down one by one (I'd wait till after leaves fall.)

I've had one that has lost 4 of 5 branches in the last 4 years. There is one large branch left standing and the only reason I haven't taken it down is because it leans towards my covered walkway and I haven't been brave enough to try and take it down. I will sometime this fall after the leaves come off.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • treitz3
    Tony M wrote: »
    Was your neighborhood built where a farm or garden used to be?
    Yes but 30 years ago. Thank you for the kind words.

I simply do not have the time to cut all of them myself. It is what it is.

Tom

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    VR3 wrote: »
    Have you considered mild explosives at the base?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGNvDVKOxCk

This is a great idea! :#
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    2-3 week vacation with no one mowing? *drops to floor*

Holy Moly man. I think mine has 29HP and I change the blades twice a year (have rotating blades that I sharpen or buy). It's just THICK. If I waited 2-3 weeks?

I would die.

......or at least want too.

It's already grown another 2" since the photo earlier on in the thread was taken. It's only been 2 days. Think about that for a second.

Tom

We probably change the blades 4-5 times a year because there is just so much sand that the blades are pretty much gone in 2 months or so.
    2” in 2 days!?!that is insane!!
  • VR3
    I will attest to the amazing ability for grass to grow around here after it has rained for a while... now when it is not raining, yeah.... weed central