Tree removal in Charlotte.....long shot but it doesn't hurt to ask....

treitz3
treitz3 Posts: 18,230
Alright Polk forum peeps, serious question for those who may know a reputable tree company in or around Charlotte (Technically, Rock Hill SC). We lost a Hybrid Bradford Pair tree last year. It was #4 in a row of 4 trees that provided shade for the front yard in the afternoon.

Yesterday, as I was mowing the jungle of a lawn with all of the rain we have had, the wind was at a standstill and through the earmuffs and tractor roaring, I heard this "crack".

Yup, tree #1 this time lost about a 1/4 of itself. I'm done. It's time for them all to come down. I am looking for a reputable, yet reasonable tree company to come and remove them all. I have found an AWESOME stump grinding company but do not have a good tree removal company that doesn't require a 2nd mortgage to remove the trees. (Said very sarcastically)

All recommendations welcome. What say you?

Tom
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    why can't you drop them yourself? Pics of the trees might be in order.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    If you like the Bradford look check out the Cleveland pear. It's a tad smaller and considerably stronger than the Bradford.
  • treitz3
    I am done with Bradford's. I know full well the life expectancy of the normal and the Hybrids. I would never plant one myself because of the short life expectancy before they start falling apart when someone sneezes but these were already existing when we purchased the property about 3 and a half years ago.

They have provided shade up until tree #4 split last year and truth be told, if ANY tree fell in the yard? I would have been okay with it. Unfortunately, that was the one tree that shaded our front porch, which was where we spent most of our outdoor time when we got off work (it's expansive).

I want to actually redesign the gardens where they were planted, so no worries there and we have already discussed trees to replace them as we knew this was coming someday.....just didn't realize it would be this soon.

John, pic's of the trees won't help anybody. They are the standard, run of the mill Bradford Pear. Larger than most because they were hybrid but still the same tree. Only larger.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    My local tree service grinds the stumps as part of the deal, no extra charge, which is beyond reasonable. Have you called around for estimates?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    Yes sir. Most of them are "bend me over" type companies. 2K a tree is not a value.

Tom
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    I didn't think Pear trees got that big......At least not 2k per tree big. How big is the stump?

If it is not in a tight place and won't do expensive damage if it is cut down wrong why get a reputable tree company? Please don't take this as wrong or racist but find a Mexican company driving around with older trucks. Then when you are negotiating ask for the cash price.

I had a dead hemlock about 20+ ft tall with a 16 inch trunk. Some guy knocked on my door asking if he could take it out. He said $300. I said I would think about it and mentioned cash price. He said $250 and I said sold. He cut it down in a few days then came by to get paid.

This tree was right next to a road so it was an easy job. And the price did not include grinding down the stump. He did cut it about 3 inches from the ground though.

Is the tree in an obvious place where tree guys can see it? I get cards on my mailbox all of the time.
  • treitz3
    We have those same folks driving around from time to time who are willing to work their (***) off for next to nothing, @delkal. They aren't from any race or nationality, they are just human beings trying to make a buck. Illegally or legally.

These big boys are about 40' tall and the trunk is an estimated......

Well, let me go out and measure the trunk....

Hang loose.
  • treitz3
    70" at the base.

Tom
  • nooshinjohn
    I did not think pear trees got that big.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited June 2018
    Wow! That is a big pear tree! How did you get the pears?

I have no experience with trees that big so all I can say is get all of the estimates you can (and subtly mention cash). Good luck!

On the bright side look up the recent post about smoking with mesquite. Lots of people love smoking with pear wood.

Just for a clarification. My stump was 16 inches in diameter.
  • treitz3
    They do get taller but these are massive at the trunk. I have had many a person compliment me on the sheer size and maintenance of the trunks going up to about 10' tall. (I cleared out all of the undergrowth).

They are not pear trees though gentlemen, They are Bradford Pear trees, hybrid. The pear trees (for real) are next door.

Tom
  • treitz3
    edited June 2018
    Here is what is left of what fell down as I was mowing...80% of it is gone and in the utility trailer to be hauled off. What's left is what we could not fit on the trailer that is now 14' tall. It is what it is....

34411839_1290276011104627_8428760326400376832_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=AeHB1Q4SQ6fwY5ubj1g2FdJuaYeLzLxu-i5zdL0pFuudkH-BuZR9TMSP6CZie-cfF_iavJ9PLmeruJdmZWnGQhzJE2tM_jiWjqv6c-kHAMqozA&oh=6971955b18dff3c1f18af73cb848f95a&oe=5BB18938

Tom

• treitz3
    Tree #2, which is behind what you see? Yeah, that base is what I measured at it's skinniest. 70" at the base before "blooming" out.

Tom
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    But where will the partridges go?
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • treitz3
    Don't Frankly give a ...

Tom
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,967
    your mowing lines are a little crooked... just saying

:wink:
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    Trey, I will abolish your life sir. Love ya' mean it bye!

You suck. Give me a freakin' recommendation man!

Tom
  • VR3
    love ya puddin
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    My cheap tree guy died, is all I can surmise. His number has been disconnected
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    What's your address, Tom? I'll fix those pesky trees for you.
  • treitz3
    10-4 sir. His clearing was abnormal.
  • treitz3
    You know my address Russ. Awe S***t son. It ain't gonna happen. If it does? Make it happen man. NOT at the current rate. Jeebus, it will make me take out a second and third mortgage.

How about a legit quote via PM?

Tom
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Find a place that sells BBQ wood
    Tell them come gettem' for free...send them pics
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • treitz3
    Please do not pee on my bushes Russ. Kimmie likes them.

Tom
  • treitz3
    Hahaha, what is funny is that the straight lines are from when I was drunk as a skunk. I am anal when it comes to certain things....the lawn being one. Audio, the other.

Tom
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    treitz3 wrote: »
    drunk as a skunk. I am anal when it comes to certain things....like sleeping

Tom

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • treitz3
    Ed Zachary!

Tom
  • treitz3
    The sleeping part? No one will know. Like, ever. Except Tony. He was the one and only. He should feel blessed.

Tom
  • nooshinjohn
    edited June 2018
    But where will the partridges go?

I think those birds are an endangered species. If they find even a feather on his property, they will turn his property into a bird sanctuary and give him ten years for even thinking about touching those beautiful trees.

I think I know somebody in the local tree hugger community Tom. I think I will send them over so they can camp out and protect the planet from your evil chainsaw. ;)

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Tom,

Those trees are not that big, certainly not 2k a tree worth big. Actually, you have enough open space to drop them yourself if your so inclined.

Check your local craigslist for a cheaper guy if you want someone else to do it. Should be no more than 1k a tree, including stump grinding. Tree's twice that size go for about 1500-2000 by me. Also, it's cheaper in the late fall/winter when they have nothing to do.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable