Reissued LP's

We all know how great Steele Dan's Aja sounds. Has anyone bought and been dissaopinted with the 180g reissue? I got it and it does not sound as alive as the original. I didn't expect it to sound better, but for $35, I was hoping for a new clean copy that sounds as good. I called Music Direct and they told me their just the distributor and that I should call the label, which I have not done yet. I'm going to give it another listen first. I also spent $60 on a reissue of All Thinks Must Pass. Same deal as Aja. Where's the snap of the snare drum? At this stage of my life I don't mind paying up for a new copy of an album I have enjoyed for decades. I do mind being duped into buying a product that is not as advertised. Let me state that I have purchased many reissues that sound great, some go back to the 50's, so I know it can be done. I am looking forward to hearing your comments and advise.
Hafler DH220 Power amp Recapped
Hafler DH110 Preamp Recapped
Hafler Digital FM Tuner
Virtue Audio M1 Piano CD Player
Technics SL-1210-MK5 with a Rega Exact Cartridge
Polk SDA1c's(Rebuilt XO's by Ben) RDO194 Tweeters

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Which reissue of Aja is it exactly?
  • gdphoto
    gdphoto Posts: 182
    Steely Dan ‎– Aja
    Label:
    ABC Records ‎– 0076732168813
    Series:
    Back To Black –
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue, Remastered, Gatefold, 180g
    Europe
    Released:
    22 Oct 2008
    Genre:
    Jazz, Rock, Pop
    Style:
    Pop Rock, Fusion
    Hafler DH220 Power amp Recapped
    Hafler DH110 Preamp Recapped
    Hafler Digital FM Tuner
    Virtue Audio M1 Piano CD Player
    Technics SL-1210-MK5 with a Rega Exact Cartridge
    Polk SDA1c's(Rebuilt XO's by Ben) RDO194 Tweeters
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited June 2018
    Nice, I see you already commented here: https://www.discogs.com/Steely-Dan-Aja/release/2884821

This is the same version that I have. To me it sounded like the dynamics were a bit muted, and that it was pressed from a mediocre "remastered" (read: brickwalled, especially for Steely Dan standards) edition. I feel it lacks emotion and dynamic swing. It sounds "good", but not "great" as it should.

Edit: I just remembered that the 320 mp3s they provided on the download code also sound mediocre. Made from the same source?

I feel the particular copy I have on CD sounds way better. Here's the CD version of it that I have: https://www.discogs.com/Steely-Dan-Aja/release/9757554

gdphoto wrote: »
    Steely Dan ‎– Aja
    Label:
    ABC Records ‎– 0076732168813
    Series:
    Back To Black –
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue, Remastered, Gatefold, 180g
    Europe
    Released:
    22 Oct 2008
    Genre:
    Jazz, Rock, Pop
    Style:
    Pop Rock, Fusion

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Black Sabbath - self-titled debut album, "Collectors Limited Edition, High-Quality Colored Vinyl", 180g on red vinyl is not even close to the original copy I had back in the day. So much seems to be missing from this recording that I clearly remember hearing on a decent, but not great, stereo setup (compared to what I have today that is).

R-2878887-1434807973-2451.png.jpg
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10