Audio Files

I am going to try HD Tracks for the first time. Thry want me to select either-AIFF, ALAC, FLAC or WAV. I don't no one from another. What should I do?

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    The cost is the same regardless. Any of those versions can be converted to another version after downloading using JRiver or some similar media player. I just download the WAV version since it's the largest and universally supported, although it's entirely possible the files they have may have originated in the FLAC format when they received them from the music publisher. AIFF and ALAC are Apple specific formats, although they play on a Windows PC too. All are lossless formats, although ALAC and FLAC require "unpacking" on the fly for playback. AIFF is the Apple version of WAV.

I usually convert a WAV file to FLAC and MP3 once I get it so I can use it on a portable player, in the car, on a smartphone, etc. I archive everything in the WAV format, so it's an easy decision for me to download the WAV files from HDTracks.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    I usually go for FLAC because it contains metadata.
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    If you're not using apple products, then FLAC will work fine. If you're using iTunes/apple products then stick with ALAC.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra