Cleaning Vinyl Records?

2»

Comments

• halohalo Posts: 4,652
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I guess I've been lucky, I just use a CF brush like that, and/or a quick wipe with a microfiber towel.

Sometimes a few blasts from a compressed air can if there's a lot of dust on a record.

Yes sir! You’re lucky!

• ClipdatClipdat Posts: 5,250
    Or I'm just stupid, and I've never actually played back a "clean" record, since supposedly even brand new records straight out of the shrink wrap are not "clean".
    halo wrote: »
    Yes sir! You’re lucky!

• "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
    edited May 2018
    Or I'm just stupid, and I've never actually played back a "clean" record, since supposedly even brand new records straight out of the shrink wrap are not "clean”

I just cleaned some brand new records and I got a bunch of junk off the Doors album but hardly anything came off the Pink Floyd or Halsey albums. You never know and I think it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Even after cleaning the new Halsey album, the last track on side A is all static. Every other track is dead quiet. The last track on side B has some static but nowhere near as bad as side A. Weird
    Could be a manufacturing issue with the way it was pressed? Might try returning it for another copy if you purchased it from Amazon or somewhere with a nice return policy.
    Even after cleaning the new Halsey album, the last track on side A is all static. Every other track is dead quiet. The last track on side B has some static but nowhere near as bad as side A. Weird

• "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
    edited May 2018
    Time to write a "sob story" email to the record label and see if they'll hook you up with a new copy. :)

I've had mixed experiences with this route. Sometimes labels reply and are helpful, other times they ignore.
    I got it before I went into the hospital so I think the 30 days are up.

• ManticoreManticore Posts: 295
    Its amazing how much gunk comes off some albums. As stated some more than others. I wash them all, even new ones. More times than not there is a noticeable difference in sound quality when washing your previous familiar albums. Its rare that i will spin a record before washing it at least once myself.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound HCA 1500A amplifier
    Adcom GFA 555 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    NAD pp 4 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk RTiA 7's
    Polk CSi A6
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
    You guys are welcome anytime to come over and wash my 900+ records.
    Got Beer?/\/\/\
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Adcom GFA 555 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    NAD pp 4 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk RTiA 7's
    Polk CSi A6
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    Nope. Not for 11 months now. My fridge is stocked with La Croix sparkling water instead.

Manticore wrote: »
    Got Beer?/\/\/\

Ha...water juice. Funny stuff.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Adcom GFA 555 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    NAD pp 4 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk RTiA 7's
    Polk CSi A6
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    It’s a labor of love and I don’t love doing it, even to my own records. You couldn’t pay me enough to do this for someone else. It’s a PITA IMHO.
  • muncybobmuncybob Posts: 1,944
    Too true, never thought I would get through my measly 250+. But it's really a once and done for me I hope. Did the US cleaning routine including pre and post cleaning rinse. Very happy with the results.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500, Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Oppo BDP93, "upgraded" Polk SDA 2B.
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 6,887

No wonder you don't have any storage space left. :D B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
2»