Looking for budget friendly DSLR camera...

shawn474
shawn474 Posts: 3,047
Figured I would ask here to get some opinions. I am in the market to replace a 15 year old DSLR camera. I am mainly looking to have something to take some nice pictures on vacations, outings and kids functions (band recitals, shooting matches, gymnastics), and just everyday picture taking. I am not into tons of features and prefer something more “point and shoot” but want the zoom lens compatibility. So......I have been looking at the canon rebel t6 and Nikon d3400. Any experience with either? Any other brands or models? Nothing fancy and I don’t have the time or interest to take a class - I would consider it if I enjoy photography as much as I hope to but not in the cards right now. Any feedback is appreciated.
Shawn
AVR: Marantz SR-5011
Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
Front: Polk LsiM703
Rear: LSI fx
Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
DVD Player: Sony PS4

Comments

• scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Shawn - I have a canon 7D. Takes good pics, but it’s heavy! My daughter has a t3i and it is a bit smaller and a LOT lighter. Takes great pics. It’s an older (6-7 years) model, but does everything she needs. Nice thing with the t3i is the screen is on a hinge and rotates. You can often find nice used ones with a kit lens for $200-$250. Hard to beat that price.

I’ve never used Nikon DSLRs, but they seem very nice. I’d find the smallest/lightest one of either brand if you’re intention is for vacations. Can’t tell you how many times we took the 7D on vacation, but didn’t want to lug it around all day.

We also had a really nice Panasonic LUMIX camera with a killer zoom that would fit in your shirt pocket. The picture quality was amazing and it was our go to camera for vacations before it started with the fatal “lens error”.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Well -- Canon and Nikon's sort of like Democrats & Republicans, or Ford and GM.

We're a Nikon household :) -- so I'd say Nikon. What I like about Nikon is the backwards-compatibility of their lens mounting system (Canon changed lens mounts as they moved into automatic SLRs and then DSLRs). Obviously, a 60 year old Nikon F mount lens can only be used manually on a Nikon DSLR -- but it can be used! :) I like that.

24661250279_6fe0916a8e_b.jpg013 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Full disclosure, in this day and age, adaptors for many more or less obsolete lens mounts are available, allowing one to use many extremely high quality lenses on modern cameras.

Bottom line: both are very good cameras, from makers of outstanding optics (although the entry level products are sort of meh). I doubt you'd go wrong with either one.

15943881434_f515674b21_b.jpgDSC_3315 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

PS As always, I'll put in a plug for our son's photoblog. Even though he's a mathematics professor by trade, he's the photographer in the family :)

http://icouldbeahero.blogspot.com
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    I've owned Nikon cameras for a long time but frankly am getting sick of them. I have had too much bad hardware at this point that it has left a bad view of them.

I am one of those lucky few with the D600 that didn't get oil spots on the sensor so no warranty claim. Nikon then releases the D610 and almost instantly drops the value of my camera in half. I experienced this same thing with a Nikon 35mm film camera too. So having it happen twice sucks.

Had a SB600 flash go bad with little use and of course after the warranty period. Come to find out, Nikon no longer sells parts for it. 30 years ago you could get parts for any part of the camera - not any longer. I got a replacement flash tube from China but it didn't fix the issue. So it's a paper weight. This was my second bad flash.

And last I knew Nikon was having some tough times financially.

Someday I am going to flip all my Nikon gear on Ebay and go Canon.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    I would suggest Canon, my mom was a professional photographer and she did her photo shoots with Canon cameras, and once I get editing software figured out I’m going to shoot YouTube videos with her 7D. Both of her cameras (5D and 7D) take awesome pictures and videos, but you can tell that both were really made for pictures. They are very straight forward and easy to use. The 7D I think must be made out of solid steel or something because it ways a hefty 3-4 pounds! But it’s pictures are worth it, and besides, I can use a tripod. :grin:
    Anyway, all that to say, I vote Canon. My friend has a Nikon camera and it takes fairly poor pictures, it is hard to use, and it feels kinda cheap in your hands (although I don’t know where it falls in the Nikon lineup, it could be a bottom model). I much prefer our Canons.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    edited May 2018
    Nikon user, checking in as ordered sir. I used to be an Olympus guy (how's that for outside the mentions!), my sister always a Canon girl along with my parents, so there are many great options out there, but to sum it up for me - "what Doc Hardy says".

ANY camera, in my experience, when bought new dumps its value drastically in the first couple years just like a new car does, used is always the best value, but also carries risk. I almost always bought used and figured win, lose or draw, you buy a camera for the pictures you can craft with it, not for resale.

Currently I have an ancient Nikon D70 (and several even more ancient cameras), the reality is, once you have the comparable sensor size and basic features you want, it's all about great glass, a camera's a box that collects light. (I'm sure I'll get flamed for that, but there's a good bit of truth in it) Buy the one thats feature set float your boat and spend the real money on good glass, unless you're into a lot of Photoshop (which IMO, has a great place, but isn't really photography, it's processing)
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited May 2018
    The T6 is a good option for a basic camera body. Any of the modern DSLR cameras can be used as a point and shoot camera. One consideration to keep in mind with an SLR is that the lenses are more important than the camera body in the long run. Typically someone who gets a DSLR will eventually want to have more than one lens, and a lens can cost multiples of what the camera body cost. But, an excellent lens can last and be useful forever. If someone already has access to lenses or peripheral devices like external flash units from a certain company it may be a good choice to stick with that brand. Sony or Fuji also make good cameras with lots of features for consumer use. I prefer Canon, but mainly because that's the choice I made years ago. Good video capabilities are also now built into SLR cameras, so that may be something to distinguish between brands. My main consideration with an SLR would be the lenses.

Another option is to consider a "super zoom" camera like a Panasonic FZ80. Some pros carry something like this around with them when they don't want to lug their big camera gear with them because they are so versatile:

https://www.amazon.com/PANASONIC-Camera-Megapixels-20-1200mm-F2-8-5-9/dp/B01MS16V42/ref=pd_cp_421_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01MS16V42&pd_rd_r=1898d734-6424-11e8-82cb-956118da8fd6&pd_rd_w=ZrXd6&pd_rd_wg=Xxtvs&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=80460301815383741&pf_rd_r=S0CSACPJJFNRN13XANDE&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=S0CSACPJJFNRN13XANDE
  • mhardy6647
    As has been implied by a couple of other folks, I'll echo the notion that used or "remanufactured" bodies are (IMO/IME) a good, cost-effective option.

My D5000 was a refurbished one from Nikon (which my son bought for me quite a few years ago); I've put quite a few miles on it with no complaints to date. In fact, it's probably nearing the end of its life... but at this point it owes me/us nothing.

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    shawn474 wrote: »
    Figured I would ask here to get some opinions. I am in the market to replace a 15 year old DSLR camera. I am mainly looking to have something to take some nice pictures on vacations, outings and kids functions (band recitals, shooting matches, gymnastics), and just everyday picture taking. I am not into tons of features and prefer something more “point and shoot” but want the zoom lens compatibility. So......I have been looking at the canon rebel t6 and Nikon d3400. Any experience with either? Any other brands or models? Nothing fancy and I don’t have the time or interest to take a class - I would consider it if I enjoy photography as much as I hope to but not in the cards right now. Any feedback is appreciated.

I guess the real question is what are you replacing? A 15-year old Nikon, Canon, Pentax, or other? If you have more than just the original kit lens, then stick with that brand/mount. If you never moved beyond the kit 3-4x zoom lens, then there is probably no reason to be loyal, however, learning the new camera will be easier if you stick to the same brand.

You might also consider a mirrorless camera that uses a full or APS-C sized sensor. They will do pretty much everything you want in a more compact setup with fewer moving parts.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    Thanks all. I currently have a nikon d60, so I have quite a few accessories and familiarity with the nikon. That may put me closer to the d3400 in the end. I would definitely invest in better glass later on down the line if i were to get more serious. Still going to do some shopping around and read many more reviews, but seems in the price point the nikon and canon are hard to beat. Cons seem limited to add-on features that I am unlikely to use, at least in this point of my interest. Would love to stay under $500 if possible and they both can be had relatively close to that. I will also look at the Fuji and Pentax offerings......so many choices...
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Given any thought to a mirrorless?

I have a couple of buddies who moved that route (one is a photo journalist, the other has a part time photography business) and love the compactness coupled with the solid availability of glass for them.

I also have another photog buddy who will cut me for even suggesting the "toy cameras" as he calls them.

I have a Canon DSLR and love it but then I also have some serious coin invested in good glass for shooting motorsports so I am biased. But I spent a lot of time with my old roommate's Nikon and I like both. As Doc said, like dems and pubs.

But going back to the original ask, I would stick with what you know and what you already have glass for. Makes the initial "bite" a bit less painful.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    The Nikon 3400 is the one I went with. It offered a lot for the money, and, my favorite scope when I use to hunt, was a Nikon. I had several scopes, all the big brands, but nothing captured the first light like the Nikon.

Calling me a novice photographer would be an insult to a novice, but, it offered good quality and a good package for a very fair price. Will probably be all I ever need.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    I use a SONY A65 that must be 5 or 6 years old now.... I moved to SONY as all of my old stuff was Minolta and KonicaMinolta became Sony. It is simple enough and gives you all the manual flexibility that I need and has been very reliable.

24.3 MP

You can still buy them new for app $300 with a sony 18-55 lens.

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Mikey081057

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    One thing I like about Sony DLSRs is the image stabilization is built into the camera body rather than into their lenses. Can save money and lens complexity in the long run, and Minolta/Sony does make some really good lenses that can compete with Canon or Nikon. A Sony A77 is my secondary camera, mainly because I only use the f/2.8 16-50mm lens with it.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    I had a Nikon D3300 when I took a photography class at DePaul a few years ago. Many of my classmates were using Canon DSLR cameras and I always preferred the image quality of the Canon cameras over my Nikon. I sold the Nikon some time ago but never replaced it. If I do replace it, I will go with a Canon this time around.

16662426304_48e3c32f7b_b.jpg
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    How much $ do you have tied up in Nikon lenses? That would be the first factor to consider in my opinion.

I have always put much more thought and $ into my lenses than the camera body. I have been shooting seriously for about 18 years, and I am currently on my 5th body - started with a rebel, and now with a 5d mkIII. HOWEVER, I still have my first lens, and use it often - 24-105L.

My mentor told me early on, pick Canon or Nikon, and plan to stay, as your lens investment will make switching cost prohibitive. He also told me that if you are going to be primarily shooting people (portraits, weddings, etc) go Nikon. If shooting more landscape/wildlife, go Canon.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I bought the Sony a6000 for my trip to the Amazon in Peru. It came with a 16-50mm lense, and I also bought a 55-210mm lense. I forgot what size memory card I bought, but it was pretty large.

w4bjxu231og9.jpeg
    0wcqcc8tuure.jpeg
    v5ul82ezc9oh.jpeg
    oaikg9h1t1ar.jpeg

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
  • Mikey081057
    Sony is very nice.... I use a Tamron 28-300 lens on mine most all of the time and with the digital zoom modes it give you a lot of flexibility and the internal image stabilization works great.

• Mikey081057
    Very nice shots Bud!

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Thanks. Point and shoot. :)

The one thing I didn't like about the Sony is the auto-focus. While it was okay most of the time, there were a few times I was trying to get something back in the jungle, but the camera kept focusing on something in the foreground. I went through the manual, but didn't notice any way to switch to manual focus. I should probably revisit that item.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    Just to echo a subtext in the past few posts (and, yes, terrific photos above!):

The DSLRs and the mirrorless cameras with interchangeable lenses make (IMO) excellent point-n-shoot cameras -- because (I think) they have enough processor grunt on board to do everything fast. They autofocus fast, they respond fast to a touch of the shutter button, they write the files fast. They handle a lot more like a good ol' film camera sans electronics -- back in the old days (you whippersnappers, you...), you set the exposure, framed, focused, and pushed the shutter - and instantly the picture was took ;)

16896989705_f022c020b3_b.jpgno stinkin meter mono by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    I concur with the key points made above.

1.) DSLR & MILC nowadays make perfectly cromulent point & shoot cameras.

2.) They will both give you the option to get as fussy as you want in the "let me make my own adjustments" realm. How far down that rabbithole you go will be dependent upon your own comfort level, desires & the flexibility of the camera.

3.) The amount of existing glass you have now can (and should) be a key determinant in which way you go.

I shoot with a Pentax (a K-3 now) because I have lenses dating from my first "real" camera (a Pentax K1000 35mm SLR)

Look used/refurb from places like Adorama, B&H or Roberts. You can get a screaming deal on a one generation older model that will be a great bang for the buck.

pmk8fu1fs6hh.png
    6htin2opxopd.jpg
    srgoze9f7v16.jpg
  • Mikey081057
    I have a nice Minolta film 35mm AF SLR with manual mode and some lenses if anyone is interested.

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    KEH is also another place to look for used camera bodies and/or lenses. They have been around for many years.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Mikey081057
    I have a nice Minolta film 35mm AF SLR with manual mode and some lenses if anyone is interested.

It's a Minolta XTsi with Minolta 28-80 AF lens and a Tamron 28-300 AF lens

• Mikey081057
    gyzbkq0jud56.jpg

• mhardy6647
    billbillw wrote: »
    KEH is also another place to look for used camera bodies and/or lenses. They have been around for many years.

Besides Adorama, KEH, and B&H, here are two other vendors of (used) glass that our son's used and found to be good as well (FWIW):

http://www.precision-camera.com/categories/used-camera-equipment/used-camera-lenses/used-nikon-mounts.html
    http://www.lezotcameras.com/lenses/nikon-f-non-ai-mount-manual-focus-lenses-mounts-on/

got the links from my son -- so of course they're for Nikon glass ;) They do have other manufacturers' products, too! :)