PSW505 humming and no audio

I just bought 2 of these and out of the box all I get from either is humming. All the switches and knobs seem to be working properly but once anything is plugged into the audio in ports they just hum loudly and don't respond to audio being sent. I tried plugging it into a different outlet than the receiver and I tried both the filtered and unfiltered ports. The receiver is an Onkyo tx-nr575 and I have used a sub with it before with no problems. Am I doa on this or not trying hard enough?

Answers

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    Have you tried a different cable?
  • tsobeck
    tsobeck Posts: 3
    Have you tried a different cable?

I have tried 4 different cords and none seemed to change anything
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    Odd that both subs have the issue. Can you return them?
  • tsobeck
    tsobeck Posts: 3
    Odd that both subs have the issue. Can you return them?

I hadn't looked into it yet because I was hoping by some grace there would be a solution considering it was both, but that was going to have to be the next step
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Sounds like a ground loop hum. Try plugging them in at the same location as the avr. Does the humming quit when the source cable is removed?
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Or, try removing other components and add them back to see if the issue persists or subsides. Cable box’s are usually a good place to start.

Or try going the other direction with the source cable.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    2 units with the exact same symptoms points to something other than the units.