Another new component??

2»

Comments

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited May 2018
    ^^^
    That's really not what you described. I think you may be confusing things. This feature is sometimes referred to as dynamic range compression.
    Compression Function
    The DVD-1000 includes a compression feature that is convenient late at night or other times when you want to listen to a recording at low volume. During normal playback, when the volume is turned down, the gaps between the loud and soft sounds are too great, making it more difficultto hear the sound effects or lyrics. The compression function, however,improves sound clarity at low volume levels.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited May 2018
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Tony M wrote: »
    I like historic speakers and electronics. I might 've bought it for the cool factor too. ;)

me, too. ;)

I have a few early-ish CDPs (FWIW).
    10439534934_cebf00108a_b.jpgSony old CDP by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

10439523565_14246b7f5c_b.jpgTechnics old CDP by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

30123363084_4508d4d7a2_b.jpgDSC_6315_zps1998048c by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    (that latter one, sadly, was a brick)

I do not have any of the first generation players (Sony or Magnavox/Philips), though. As implied above, they're collectors' items (of a sort), but not really great to listen to.

Ooh, nice players! Do they sound good?

Not particularly, no.
    That last one, sadly, I'll never know.
    It was found with its last meal still ingested -- a Kenny G CD.
    It seemed to have been too much for the CDP, which had given up any pretense of ever spinning another disk after such treatment :|

That said, it was held, in some circles, to be a pretty decent deck.
    http://www.thevintageknob.org/SONY/sonyes/CDP456ES/CDP456ES.html
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    ^^^
    That's really not what you described. I think you may be confusing things. This feature is sometimes referred to as dynamic range compression.
    Compression Function
    The DVD-1000 includes a compression feature that is convenient late at night or other times when you want to listen to a recording at low volume. During normal playback, when the volume is turned down, the gaps between the loud and soft sounds are too great, making it more difficultto hear the sound effects or lyrics. The compression function, however,improves sound clarity at low volume levels.

Oh
    ok, interesting. I thought that meant compression to MP3. The old Sony CD changer actually did compress the files, it said in the features list “compresses audio down to MP3 because blah blah blah” I can’t remember why, I’ll find it later and tell you why it did.
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Tony M wrote: »
    I like historic speakers and electronics. I might 've bought it for the cool factor too. ;)

me, too. ;)

I have a few early-ish CDPs (FWIW).
    10439534934_cebf00108a_b.jpgSony old CDP by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

10439523565_14246b7f5c_b.jpgTechnics old CDP by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

30123363084_4508d4d7a2_b.jpgDSC_6315_zps1998048c by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    (that latter one, sadly, was a brick)

I do not have any of the first generation players (Sony or Magnavox/Philips), though. As implied above, they're collectors' items (of a sort), but not really great to listen to.

Ooh, nice players! Do they sound good?

Not particularly, no.
    That last one, sadly, I'll never know.
    It was found with its last meal still ingested -- a Kenny G CD.
    It seemed to have been too much for the CDP, which had given up any pretense of ever spinning another disk after such treatment :|

That said, it was held, in some circles, to be a pretty decent deck.
    http://www.thevintageknob.org/SONY/sonyes/CDP456ES/CDP456ES.html

They all look to be pretty decent CDPs, that last one does look to be of very good quality at least in the picture. Wish you could listen to it, I’d love to hear your opinions on it, but oh well.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    What an appropriate last meal! That Kenny G cd could likely gag many players.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Consider mp3 was not even invented when the first CD players came out I'm having a hard time believing any CD player would compress to a lossy output. Then on another note would the receiver be able to recognize the stream coming to it since it would now be a digital file stream?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    I agree, I've never heard of this either. Only thing I've seen that would compress is a ripper product like this:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=2COX12
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Consider mp3 was not even invented when the first CD players came out I'm having a hard time believing any CD player would compress to a lossy output. Then on another note would the receiver be able to recognize the stream coming to it since it would now be a digital file stream?

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    ^^^
    Compression Function

Bingo!

No such thing is a CDP compressing the output to an MP3 format.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I had a CD player that was resting on Missing Persons' 3rd album, and the feet of the player compressed the album cover. So, you could say that the CD player compressed MP (Missing Person) 3 (3rd album).

And speaking of Missing Persons, here is a song on which MP drummer Terry Bozzio plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwxt2MwFMJA
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    speaking of Terry Bozzio & FZ:

https://youtu.be/Kemf6dGpYhc

Pretty darned good recording, too (not sure how well that translates to YT).
  • mlistens03
    F1nut wrote: »
    ^^^
    Compression Function

Bingo!

No such thing is a CDP compressing the output to an MP3 format.

Oops, I guess I miss interpreted the meaning of that in the specs. Not the first time that has happened to be honest though.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    edited May 2018
    And continuing the theme (though it may be considered NSFW):
    Please ignore... :#
    That was a tangent that swung way out and should have in no way gotten on this thread. Sry
  • mlistens03
    Ive been listening to it for the past few days, it I can say that it sounds MUCH better than the Sony IMO. Maybe it’s just synergy with all the Technics gear, but with the Technics amp, CDP, and the Missions, I’m hearing details that I’ve never heard before. I’ll give a better review later but I don’t have a ton of time right now.
    Micah