Adding PSW505 to A7's and A6

Moving into a new house and setting up audio in the living room with a Denon 730H Receiver, 2 floor standing A7's A6 Center, and have a PSW505 arriving today for my sub. Any suggestions at setting or speaker placement to best maximize sound in a 12x22 ft room with 12 foot ceilings? Thanks for the help!

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Get a second sub. That's a lot of room to fill.

Then do the subwoofer crawl for placement.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    edited May 2018
    eeks! Send the 505 back and get an HSU or SVS.

The 505 is a good sub for the money but a HSU VTF2 will in most cases out perform two.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • FestYboy
    Agree, I should have added that tidbit myself.
  • jwb0007
    jwb0007 Posts: 62
    jaugustine, had the RTi12s and CSi A6 myself, until fairly recently (moved, different layout now).

Anyway, my questions:

1. Do you listen at "loud" levels often?
    2. Do you often listen to music with notes/instruments going below about 25Hz--at volume?

I also had a large cubic foot area, and I had one Outlaw sub. I now have 2 of the PSW505s, and love their sound. Plenty of volume, rumble, and subtlety (to me). Admission: don't often listen to a 32' organ pipe at about 20 or 19Hz.

Of course, it could be that I simply have learned to want what I have, rather than have what I want (which can change so frequently). :)
    Jim
    St. Louis, MO

AVRs: Yamaha RX-A2030, Onkyo TX-NR646
    Speakers: BIC FH6-LCR x 3, BIC FH-65B x 2, Polk RTi6 x 2, Infinity Primus P362, Klipsch KSF-C5
    Subs: Polk PSW505 x 2, Polk PSW10, Klipsch Synergy Sub-10
  • Jaugustine
    Jaugustine Posts: 3
    Mostly the audio setup is used for home theater for the family. I set up the new sub last night and re calibrated the speakers and feel as if I need to do a bit more tweaking. I put on "The Last Jedi" and tested out some battle scenes and the sub did a commendable job, however I did find aiming it at the back wall helped. No complaints about the sound quality, just trying to manage expectations with the room, Spousal Acceptance Factor, and budget I have. Any opinions on setting the speakers to "Large" vs small and adjusting the crossover on these speakers based on the size of the room?

Thank you for the input...

James
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    For HT the 505 is acceptable IMO. I use one also, but like so many others the amp failed and needed to be replaced after a couple years or so and perhaps sooner if used frequently.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • FestYboy
    I'm running 3 (505s) in HT mode and have approx the same volume to fill. One would never cut it for me.
  • jwb0007
    jwb0007 Posts: 62
    jaugustine, make sure to set your speakers to "small". Has nothing at all to do with the physical size of the cabinets/woofers, but rather the fact that you have one or more subs to do the low frequency lifting, and enable your L/C/R & surround speakers to handle the frequencies above where you set the crossover. FYI, I and others, set the Polk RTi12s to "small". Worked great!
    Jim
    St. Louis, MO

AVRs: Yamaha RX-A2030, Onkyo TX-NR646
    Speakers: BIC FH6-LCR x 3, BIC FH-65B x 2, Polk RTi6 x 2, Infinity Primus P362, Klipsch KSF-C5
    Subs: Polk PSW505 x 2, Polk PSW10, Klipsch Synergy Sub-10
  • Jaugustine
    Jaugustine Posts: 3
    Thank you for the tips. Have the speakers set to "small" and after listening and watching Saving Private Ryan this weekend I was really impressed with the overall sound. I dont see an Atmos setup being approved by my wife in the near future, but there is always hope!!! Thanks again for the help!