5x7/6x8 vs 6.5?

Hey All,

I just bought a used 2007 F-150 Lariat, which has a really nice leather interior and trim, but boy... the sound system could not be WORSE! The quality of the sound at the Lariat level is literally criminal, imo.

Maybe it's just due to the age of 11 year old speakers not performing their best, but, still... they need to go.

From the factory, the truck seems to have come with 4 5x7 or 6x8s, whatever they are, I know they are interchangeable, and so for an easy upgrade I was simply going to install a nice set of coaxial speakers in the same size, but then started to wonder if a nice set of 6.5in Momo series Polks might be better?!

Has anyone compared 5x7 or 6x8 speakers to a 6.5 in the same vehicle and noticed any benefit to the 6.5s?
Living Room 7.1 HT Rig:

M70 | CS2 | M60 | Atrium5 - Surr. | SUB - Emotiva ULTRA12 + Tara Labs sub cable | Pioneer Elite VSX-52 | Parasound HCAs 1000A | Sony BDP-S790 | Belkin PureAV PF60 | MIT Exp2 Wires

Bedroom 5.0 HT Rig (Music/Movies/Gaming) :

LSi9 | LsiC | Lsi/fx | Marantz SR7002 | NAD T955 | Sony BDP-S360 | Belkin PureAV PF30 | AQ Blue Racer II ICs & AQ Type 4 wires | PS3

Comments

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    I think it would probably be harder to do because the hole is cut for a 5x7/6x8. You would have to resize the hole, or find a way to put a different cabinet in there.
    I imagine the Polk 6.5 would sound a lot better than the stock ones, but any well designed speaker should sound good no matter the size or shape. I would stick with the oval drivers just so you don’t have to resize the holes for the drivers.
    Do you plan on replacing the old radio/CDP with something newer?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Car audio AND truck related question. Paging @nbrowser
  • Lietuvis91
    Lietuvis91 Posts: 908
    edited May 2018
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    I think it would probably be harder to do because the hole is cut for a 5x7/6x8. You would have to resize the hole, or find a way to put a different cabinet in there.
    I imagine the Polk 6.5 would sound a lot better than the stock ones, but any well designed speaker should sound good no matter the size or shape. I would stick with the oval drivers just so you don’t have to resize the holes for the drivers.

There are a number of companies that make an adapter plate to go from 5x7 to 6.5. At crutchfield they are $10/pair. So for that reason the fitment does not concern me.

I will most definitely be replacing the head unit. I really want a backup camera in this truck, so I will be getting a double din capable of this feature. In fact, my friend has a brand new ATOTO A6 that he wants to sell me cheap. He ended up with two, and it's brand new. I'm skeptical of the quality, but he says the one he has installed has worked great, so far.
    https://amazon.com/ATOTO-Navigation-A62721P-Entertainment-Multimedia/dp/B075W9GMPF

My biggest concern would be low sound quality due to low quality components... so TBD on that purchase.
    Living Room 7.1 HT Rig:

M70 | CS2 | M60 | Atrium5 - Surr. | SUB - Emotiva ULTRA12 + Tara Labs sub cable | Pioneer Elite VSX-52 | Parasound HCAs 1000A | Sony BDP-S790 | Belkin PureAV PF60 | MIT Exp2 Wires

LSi9 | LsiC | Lsi/fx | Marantz SR7002 | NAD T955 | Sony BDP-S360 | Belkin PureAV PF30 | AQ Blue Racer II ICs & AQ Type 4 wires | PS3
  • Lietuvis91
    edited May 2018

The fitment should not be in issue with these brackets from Crutchfield. At $10 a pair that's a minor expense.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SA68/Scosche-SA-68-Speaker-Mounting-Brackets.html

I will most definitely be replacing the head unit because I want a backup camera. My friend accidentally ended up with 2 ATOTO A6 units and wants to sell me the 2nd one cheap. I am skeptical of the component quality at this price, but the one he installed seems to have worked ok so far. Has pre-outs, gps, backup camera capability, microphone... basically all the good stuff.

He want's a $150 for it, and at that price, it's really tempting to give it a shot, especially because ATOTO makes a bunch of accessories for it that are plug and play.

https://www.amazon.com/ATOTO-Navigation-A62721P-Entertainment-Multimedia/dp/B075W9GMPF
    Living Room 7.1 HT Rig:

• mlistens03
    For that little I’d go for it! I would get separate amps if I was you.
  • Lietuvis91
    edited May 2018

Read my mind. I already have 2x Polk PA D2000.2 amps sitting in my closet. One will power the fronts, the 2nd will power the rears.

I am hoping with this amplification I will not want/need a sub. Not looking for slamming bass, but definitely need it to have a cheerful bump. :D

I know this is where sound deadening can help a lot. Need to research that some as well.
    Living Room 7.1 HT Rig:

• mlistens03
    Lietuvis91 wrote: »

Read my mind. I already have 2x Polk PA D2000.2 amps sitting in my closet. One will power the fronts, the 2nd will power the rears.

I am hoping with this amplification I will not want/need a sub. Not looking for slamming bass, but definitely need it to have a cheerful bump. :D

That will probably do just fine for most music. If it’s really necessary, you can always add one later, ya know?
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    This is an interesting question. Sub'd.

Still running some 4" Polk component speakers in an old truck with 6.5s in the rear, along with a JL Audio Microsub 8.1 with a Directed amp, installed 15yrs ago. Modest, but probably the best vehicle stereo I ever had B)
    I disabled signatures.
  • Lietuvis91
    Lietuvis91 wrote: »

That will probably do just fine for most music. If it’s really necessary, you can always add one later, ya know?

Yep, exactly what I was thinking. The amps I have put out 125w RMS, so they should drive any good quality 6.5 well. Definitely hoping for decent performance across the full frequency range.

In fact, I think I have a set of Polk MM6500 component speakers in a car my brother has borrowed. I should be getting it back shortly, so I might pull them out and see how well they do in this truck. That car is getting sold soon anyway.

Living Room 7.1 HT Rig: