Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited May 2018
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    make no assumptions; ask.

:)

I will, but first I have to accumulate the funds for the purchase, and I can’t ask until I’m ready to buy... I think that’s the courteous thing to do anyway ;)

Well -- I don' t it would be discourteous to message the seller and ask if the shipping includes insurance.

That said, if you really cannot afford them at this time -- you're probably just torturing yourself by even thinking about them.

PS (and FWIW) I have no idea what sort of value/risk such a purchase represents, so I offer no "advice" (solicited or otherwise) on that! :)
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Hot...forward same thing

Oh ok.
    Maybe I need to get used to more normal speakers. I used my Missions with dried ferrofluid in the tweeters for so long that I love the overly brightness of them. Still have yet to replace that stuff actually... need to get around to that :#

I could be wrong, and probably am, but I don't believe dried up ferrofluid would affect the sound signature of a tweeter, only its ability to remove heat and therefore lowers the RMS watts it can deal with.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mhardy6647
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Hot...forward same thing

Oh ok.
    Maybe I need to get used to more normal speakers. I used my Missions with dried ferrofluid in the tweeters for so long that I love the overly brightness of them. Still have yet to replace that stuff actually... need to get around to that :#

I could be wrong, and probably am, but I don't believe dried up ferrofluid would affect the sound signature of a tweeter, only its ability to remove heat and therefore lowers the RMS watts it can deal with.

I believe (more faith-based audio engineering ;) ) that ferrofluid alters the T-S parameters of a driver. A quick googling suggests that it markedly reduces the impedance peak at resonance. Not sure what if any audible impact (or, more to the point, I guess, impact on crossover performance) a lack of ferrofluid would have.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    make no assumptions; ask.

:)

I will, but first I have to accumulate the funds for the purchase, and I can’t ask until I’m ready to buy... I think that’s the courteous thing to do anyway ;)

Well -- I don' t it would be discourteous to message the seller and ask if the shipping includes insurance.

That said, if you really cannot afford them at this time -- you're probably just torturing yourself by even thinking about them.

PS (and FWIW) I have no idea what sort of value/risk such a purchase represents, so I offer no "advice" (solicited or otherwise) on that! :)

I can’t afford them at all right now, but that is why I’m selling the Infinities and :cry: the LSis.
    Hot...forward same thing

Oh ok.

The ferrofluid dampens the tweeter, causing it to be a little less efficient and sound a little warmer and laid back. It also effects the RMS wattage, like you said.
    Hot...forward same thing

Oh ok.

I believe (more faith-based audio engineering ;) ) that ferrofluid alters the T-S parameters of a driver. A quick googling suggests that it markedly reduces the impedance peak at resonance. Not sure what if any audible impact (or, more to the point, I guess, impact on crossover performance) a lack of ferrofluid would have.

I’ve never heard them with ferrofluid, so I don’t know if it really makes a difference, but according to others, it can make the speakers much more forward and bright, and cause a peak in the treble.
  • mlistens03
    So just out of interest, how would the 703s compare to Signature bookies (or maybe S50s)? I was reading the signature series official thread, and got to around page 18 where msg compared them to the 703s, and he called them different. How are they different sound quality wise between the two? Would I be better off with the S20s or S50s instead of the 703s (and eventually 2 eight inch subs which I will put under the stands)?
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    If you’re looking for a more forward sound the Signatures are probably the better option. They have more of what I’d call a consumer tuning, an accentuated too end and low end.

The LSiM are more tonally correct but also need better gear to get the most out of them.

Based on what I’ve picked up skimming this thread I’d recommend taking a serious look at the Sognature.
  • mlistens03
    edited May 2018
    If you’re looking for a more forward sound the Signatures are probably the better option. They have more of what I’d call a consumer tuning, an accentuated too end and low end.

The LSiM are more tonally correct but also need better gear to get the most out of them.

Based on what I’ve picked up skimming this thread I’d recommend taking a serious look at the Sognature.

If the LSiM are more totally correct, that is what I want. I will get some real gear behind them eventually, but at least for the time being it’ll probably be the Technics.
    Post edited by mlistens03 on
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    I'd say Danny about nailed it.

Best compliment I can pay the S20s where compared to 703s is to say that, for as much as I love the 703s - and I *really* love 703s - I realized I wasn't immediately missing the 703s when I was breaking in some S20s back when I contributed my impressions to the Signature series thread.

It wasn't until I swapped the 703s back in after a few weeks, while demoing some speakers with a friend ending on the 703s, that we both realized the extra they can contribute, musically. But yes, to get the most out of 703s (or any speaker) for straight 2ch listening, I'd say you'd want a powerful, musical AVR at the least, and a quality 2ch integrated or separates, ideally, if you want to get more serious.

The second best compliment I can offer the Signature series is to say that, were they available around the time I began this hobby back in late 2013, and had I bought them instead of RTi10s, I seriously wonder whether I'd have fallen as deeply into audio as I have. I don't think that I would have, because I had much less exposure then and I think I would have been relatively satisfied, not having been exposed to anything "better".

As Ron mentioned, 703s can probably run your room without a sub.
    S20ssssssssss... not quite as fat and full, with a touch more edge, but with proper placement and a dedicated listening position, still respectable "full range". I'd want a sub if I were using S20s as mains. That's not a flaw, per se, but more just a consideration if you want to run straight 2ch, no sub. I still use a sub with 703s in the main, all around, fwiw. BR 703s run on a B&K AVR 507, no sub, and I really enjoy that system.

703s still sound good and full even off axis without a pinpoint listening seat. They also sound pretty good at lower listening levels once broken/burned in, whereas other speakers seem to take greater volume to output fuller sound.

I noticed that I liked the S20s a bit better for TV use than the 703s, fwiw. They were a bit crisper and more engaging for film.

If you're dying to get rid of the LSi25s, I'd say go with S20s and a sub for now, and save up for some 703s.

If you can hold off for a bit and plan to go further in this hobby, I'd say save up a bit more and hold out for 703s if you have your heart set on them. This, instead of making intermediate moves now, and possibly left wondering whether you should have held out for the 703s.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mlistens03
    In my post before I said I would use the Technics for the time being, what I didn’t say is I would later buy a Parasound amp and use it with the Yamaha, and then I would eventually buy a proper 2ch pre amp.

I would probably still get a sub for the 703s, so that I can (every once in a while) crank the bass to 11 and rock out. That’s not something I usually do, but I have a friend who is a basshead and my system has to impress :wink:

The fact that they sound good off-axis will be a massive advantage to me, because I often times have trouble listening to the LSis when I’m cleaning my room or something, because they just sound sooo bad in certain places. The fact they still sound good at lower levels is great too.

S20s as a temporary speaker would not work for me, just because I don’t usually have the dough for large price tag items like this. That’s why I’m selling the Infinities and the LSis. If I was to buy S20s, who knows when I’ll have the money to buy 703s again. It could possibly be years (I’m not very good at saving, as some of you can probably relate to. :tongue: )

I plan to go as far as I can in this hobby, until I’m either sick of it or (option 2 is probably more likely) I’m dead. :wink:

I do have the Missions to use in the time being, so I’m not left dead in the water here. I do have something to use that sound system good for now. Once I get the 703s I will keep the Missions and probably switch back and forth between the two for a LOONG time.

I did brainstorm a little bit about building my own stands, but I can’t share the details right now, I’ll probably show you the plans and designs tomorrow.

Thanks again for your help,
    Micah
  • mhardy6647
    edited May 2018
    I plan to go as far as I can in this hobby, until I’m either sick of it or (option 2 is probably more likely) I’m dead. :wink:
    Micah

1. My advice to you -- "Careful what you wish for".

24708699480_e3e975f643_b.jpg012 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

2. You know -- measuring Thiele-Small parameters of a good 'extended range' driver and designing and building optimal loudspeaker enclosures for a pair of them is an excellent Science Fair type of project.
    http://sound.whsites.net/tsp.htm

kdd8dgl7sogm.png
    (especially since now a smartphone or laptop can substitute for the signal generator)

I'm just sayin', you know...?

;)

• mlistens03
    Micah

1. My advice to you -- "Careful what you wish for".

24708699480_e3e975f643_b.jpg012 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

2. You know -- measuring Thiele-Small parameters of a good 'extended range' driver and designing and building optimal loudspeaker enclosures for a pair of them is an excellent Science Fair type of project.
    http://sound.whsites.net/tsp.htm

kdd8dgl7sogm.png
    (especially since now a smartphone or laptop can substitute for the signal generator)

I'm just sayin', you know...?

;)

That picture is almost what I dream about :tongue:
    Look at all that gear. That’s definitely what I wish for!
    II know that extended range drivers are a real option, and a good one at that, but I’ve had poor experiences with full range drivers in the past, and don’t want to invest money into something that might disappoint. And I know those are a different animal than the speakers I played with. I also know it’s possible that the LSiMs will disappoint, but I find that unlikely. An enclosure for a extended range driver would probably have to be HUGE, right? That wouldnt work out well in my small room. Overall, I like the idea of it, but past experiences and room size say no unfortunately.
  • mlistens03
    You edited your post before I commented, so I’ll continue here.
    A science fair sounds fun, but I don’t know if there is one here, or if I’m even allowed to enter since I don’t go to a school (homeschooled).
    Micah
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    I think you were probably just joking around, but you should never base an audio related purchase on what would be more impressive, or what the tastes of your friends are.
    I would probably still get a sub for the 703s, so that I can (every once in a while) crank the bass to 11 and rock out. That’s not something I usually do, but I have a friend who is a basshead and my system has to impress :wink:

• mlistens03
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I think you were probably just joking around, but you should never base an audio related purchase on what would be more impressive, or what the tastes of your friends are.

I definitely was. I don’t care at all what my friend thinks about my system, and he doesn’t care what I think. I think it’s silly to want to blow the windows out with bass, and he thinks it’s silly too but he still enjoys it. LOL.
    He also believes firmly in using pro gear in a home setting. :confounded:
    Before you get a poor idea of this guy, he does have a HiFi system with some nice JBLs, and then he has his other basshead system.
    Micah
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    I think you should get the 703s and use them in a 2.0 setup. For the type of music you listen to you won't need a sub.

They come up for sale often on our FS section, Polk eBay refurb store, Polk F&F sale, and on Adorama deals as well. Surely a great deal is bound to present itself before long.

Like Scott said, they will be more revealing to changes you make upstream.

If money were no object, I'd love to see you get the 703s and pair them with a Dayens Menuetto integrated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ho-NW0wX-Y
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Smaller drivers with a TL enclosure would easily be smaller than your LSis...
  • mlistens03
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I think you should get the 703s and use them in a 2.0 setup. For the type of music you listen to you won't need a sub.

They come up for sale often on our FS section, Polk eBay refurb store, Polk F&F sale, and on Adorama deals as well. Surely a great deal is bound to present itself before long.

Like Scott said, they will be more revealing to changes you make upstream.

If money were no object, I'd love to see you get the 703s and pair them with a Dayens Menuetto integrated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ho-NW0wX-Y

2.0 is the plan for now, if I find that I need a sub then I will get one.

All I need to do is sell the LSis and Infinities, then wait. It’s hard to wait while sitting on a pile of cash you could take to the flea market, ya know? :wink:

Hopefully the Technics won’t be unbearable on these speakers, but it’s all I got for now. Will these make mp3 unbearable to listen to? Because that is to my misfortune pretty much all I got.

That Dayens looks incredible, but although I’d love to say money is no object, that’s only true up to around $300 for amp and $300 for receiver or $600 for integrated. A classic Yamaha integrated would be awesome.
    Thanks again,
    Micah
  • mlistens03
    Using Google Chrome is obviously helping with the acces restricted issue from the other thread, because literally every sing one was restricted :confused:
    I’ll try again in safari.
    Now in safari: didn’t work, I’ll try again tomorrow on my laptop. So annoyed by that.
  • mhardy6647
    edited May 2018
    FWIW: At least in Massachusetts (where we raised our kids) the home-schooled kids were, by and large, very much welcome to participate in many of the school events.

I used to judge the science fairs when I was on the School Committee (school board) in the MA town where we used to live. It was a little grueling, but much fun for a scientist to do.

PS. Oh, feel free to design a two way loudspeaker; crossovers are, nowadays, fairly easy to design and implement -- or go hog-wild with an active crossover (old-school analog or via DSP using something like the hyper-cool

Parts Express, bless their hearts, offers a nice suite for forums, projects & resources for DIY loudspeakers: https://www.parts-express.com/resources
    http://projectgallery.parts-express.com/
  • mlistens03
    FWIW: At least in Massachusetts (where we raised our kids) the home-schooled kids were, by and large, very much welcome to participate in many of the school events.

I used to judge the science fairs when I was on the School Committee (school board) in the MA town where we used to live. It was a little grueling, but much fun for a scientist to do.

I didn’t think I was able to, but I will look into it again.
    You were a judge? That’s pretty cool, I’d guess you saw a lot of awesome things there, right?
    Micah
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    Where I live, home-schooled kids are shunned, or at the very least stoned and heckled when seen in public.

I'm just messin' with ya! :smiley:
  • mlistens03
    Hermitism wrote: »
    Where I live, home-schooled kids are shunned, or at the very least stoned and heckled when seen in public.

I'm just messin' with ya! :smiley:

‘Bout the same here actually :tongue:
    A public schooled kid once wanted to go head to head against me in a math quiz, and he said since he was educated better, he would finish faster and get more right. Well guess who did both of those things? :grin:
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    A public school kid ? Surprised he even knew what Math was. If he used the common core method, he neither came up with the right answer and it probably took him a day and a half to come up with one.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mlistens03
    tonyb wrote: »
    A public school kid ? Surprised he even knew what Math was. If he used the common core method, he neither came up with the right answer and it probably took him a day and a half to come up with one.

Pretty much how it worked out, he got 3 out of 10 questions in 45 minutes. i got 10/10 in 15 :lol:
  • mlistens03
    Here is my stand design, it would be a 1.5 inch thick cherry veneered plywood, probably be about 8 inches wide by 10 inches wide, with four 2 inch dowel rods in the four corners of the bottom plate (placement depends on the size of the top). Then in the middle there would be a 4” think PVC pipe, filled with sand/lead shot. On top there would be another piece of cherry veneered plywood, the same size and shape as the speaker cabinet. I think I will make it 36” tall, but I haven’t measured where I would want them yet so I’m not 100% sure.
    Here is a basic sketch:
    is9mdmsxo72g.jpg
    In this pic I drew the base a little to big on the right side, so I scribbled it out as you can see.
    y7zm0bi4pvqj.jpg
    Here is a general idea of what he base would look like, once again, it’s not to scale and nothing is placed exactly where it’s gonna be.
    So do you guys think it will work? Do you think it will be too top-heavy? Would it resonate “like a fine tuned guitar”?
    Thanks again,
    Micah
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Micah

How old are you? Are you in school and saving up for a 703?
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • mlistens03
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Micah

How old are you? Are you in school and saving up for a 703?

I am 14. I’m planning on selling the LSis and the Infinities and I will then use the money to put towards the LSiMs.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    There are some really good diy speaker stand threads here on this forum.
  • mlistens03
    Hermitism wrote: »
    There are some really good diy speaker stand threads here on this forum.

I will look into it and see what I can find. Thanks :smile: