Leon Russell's estate sale -- I had to smile

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Wow, he had really, really bad tastes in furniture.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Neat :)

Speaking of SPL meters...
    I've been meaning to get one of these things since before RS "closed". I feel guilty because my purchase could probably have floated them another year. Is this still the one to get, or are other "cheap inaccurate" models worthwhile as well?
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Dibs on the skunk pelt :p
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    F1nut wrote: »
    Wow, he had really, really bad tastes in furniture.

Probably the booze and drugs; I like to think positively about the guy.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    This is his "**** that I haven't used in years" barn sale. There isn't anything in there that looks like it might have been part of his later life.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    The pro gear, bottom of the line Yamaha club speakers.. I am surprised at that. Even the board is a 12 channel yammy that I use for my DJ work.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • dekuda
    dekuda Posts: 756
    wow,I did not know he passed.I remember seeing him at Buddy Guys Legends club here in Chicago in early 2016 I believe. He came often..I did not know how great of a pianist he was until I saw him live in person. Room full of maybe 60-70 people or so.Too small for a legend in my opinion. Many times he would stop in between songs and tell a story about either the song he played or was going to play. He stayed and signed autographs and I was lucky to shake his hand. Still had the big bushy white beard and hair under his cowboy hat which he said he got from Stevie Ray . He had a big following among fellow artists. Many of who played on his early albums. Rock and Roll hall of famer..He will be missed.Great memories!
    HT System
    Parasound Halo A51 Amp, Marantz AV 8003 Pre, Arcam FMJ CD36 cd player, Marantz 7007 BD/SACD player,Acoustic Zen Matrix IC's, Analysis Plus Crystal Copper Oval IC's, Acoustic Zen Satori speaker cables, B&W 703's Fronts, Center Martin Logan Motif hybrid, Surrounds DefTech BPX, 2 X DefTech Supercube Reference Subs, DSpeaker Antimode 8033 EQ.
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    I also have a bit of a story to say about Leon Russell. He was the very 1st performer I had seen multi tasking . This was the famous spring weekend at S.U.N.Y. New Paltz where the Sunday line-up was the Jefferson Airplane and then the entire Joe Cocker and Mad Dogs and Englishmen tour. There had to be close to 25/30 people on stage w/ multiple horn players, back up singers guitarists. Now Leon was 1st, the band leader, then played his baby grand then to my surprise straps on an older Gibson Black Beauty standard and just wailed away. They were having such a good time they even called up their tour bus driver who played a great harp . What a weekend. Now multitasking is common as just look towards Larry Campbell and many others.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • Luki13
    Luki13 Posts: 1
    For your information F1nut all the furniture is antique and he actually had great taste in furniture. This wasn’t the every day stuff this was the I am going to make sure my family is provided for after I am gone. Also Mhardy6477 it wasn’t the drugs, he had a great eye and a lot of this stuff has great value not only because it reminds me of my childhood but also because they are pretty unique antiques. Dennis Gardener, this is not his **** sale of stuff that was never used. My name is Honey Bridges, I am one of his daughters-look me up on Facebook if you don’t believe me-all of this stuff was in the house he last lived in. Having lived with my parents I can assure you this stuff was present pretty much my whole life. One final note here for you guys who think it’s oksy to make assumptions about someone you don’t know, just because it’s the internet doesn’t mean you should be tactless. He was my dad and he was a great person so how about you show some kind of respect.
  • mhardy6647
    Point taken.

My response to F1nut's observation was meant in jest, but probably seems much more mean spirited than humourous. My apologies.

... and seeing the Radio Shack SPL meter (a common artifact for many of us) really did make me smile.

I think it is safe to say that many of us admired and enjoyed Leon Russell's music and songwriting. I certainly did.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited May 2018
    Gee Hardy, you were hunted down and smacked down......Ouch.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited May 2018
    She is still grieving the loss of her father, just as I still am with the loss of my mom... Nobody here has said a bad thing about Leon Russell, or his legacy of song. Some simply questioned his taste in furniture.

She has every right to defend her father, but doing so over something that is open to personal taste is a bit of a reach.

Personally, I hope she hangs out here for a while. We can help her put together a fantastic system for preserving and playing her father’s music, and perhaps we can learn more about him and gain some insight into his genius. I would love to know more about Bangladesh and his work with Elton John.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    I also hope Honey sticks around. I was first turned on to Leon's music in early High School. His music has a lot of memories for me and knowing more about him from a first hand source would be priceless.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Some of the comments were...not cool..to say the least...and she's right...Some people tend to put the brakes on their fingers on the net..and say stuff they wouldn't in person..I hope..Leon has,a legion of fans who are dry protective of him and his family...they are called lifers
  • Muncybob...we have 3 pages/groups on fb
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Luki13 wrote: »
    For your information F1nut all the furniture is antique and he actually had great taste in furniture. This wasn’t the every day stuff this was the I am going to make sure my family is provided for after I am gone. Also Mhardy6477 it wasn’t the drugs, he had a great eye and a lot of this stuff has great value not only because it reminds me of my childhood but also because they are pretty unique antiques. Dennis Gardener, this is not his **** sale of stuff that was never used. My name is Honey Bridges, I am one of his daughters-look me up on Facebook if you don’t believe me-all of this stuff was in the house he last lived in. Having lived with my parents I can assure you this stuff was present pretty much my whole life. One final note here for you guys who think it’s oksy to make assumptions about someone you don’t know, just because it’s the internet doesn’t mean you should be tactless. He was my dad and he was a great person so how about you show some kind of respect.

I stand by my comments. You don't have to like them just as I don't have to like the furniture and no, it's not all antique.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• prosper56
    prosper56 Posts: 1
    I visited the Russell estate sale and had to go back twice. The furniture was quality and beautiful, and reflected the tastes of someone who had traveled the world over.

I am a huge LR fan and see him as someone whose talent came before his time. Today we admire artists of Leon’s talent and originality and appreciate those who crossover between genres.

RIP Leon and God Bless Elton for reminding us we had a living legend in our midst before he went to the spirit world.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Ms. Bridges, my condolences on the loss of your father.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2023
    Since I still, in all seriousness, feel some guilt and remorse about this thread, I feel compelled to drop this here.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/central-music-history-forgotten-legacy-070219428.html

https://www.amazon.com/Leon-Russell-Journey-Through-History/dp/0306924773

He was a significant musician in many different ways.
    This new biography may well be worth checking out.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    I have a few of his albums but never really knew much about him, thanks for sharing.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • mhardy6647
    He could indeed be argued to have stolen the show at George Harrison't Concert for Bangladesh. B)

https://youtu.be/oirZRJEwOv4

2fr8i1d1zzga.png

best thing I could find of his 10-ish minutes in the spotlight at that famous event is this somewhat sketchy video:
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1cpfdk

• SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,491
    I thought for a sec he died again.

You know, I died on Broadway.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • mhardy6647
    You probably know how to get to Carnegie Hall, too. B)