Craftsman at Lowes

So Sears sold it off to Stanley/B&D last year. Sears still has the rights to sell it.
Lowes now is a Craftsman dealer!! Good news, since it's unlikely Sears will still be
in business much longer. And they are moving tool production back to the USA!
And they are supposed to honor the Craftsman warranty. Win for the consumer.
I go to Lowes all the time. I haven't set foot in a Sears in a long time.
My guess is they sell a lot of tools. I have a ton of the stuff. Literally.
I'm hoping for the quality to pick back up. I have tools from them going back
45 years. About the only stuff to break were some 1/4" ratchets, a couple of 1/4"
sockets, and some screwdrivers that failed as prybars. So nothing really failed under
"normal use". It's not snap-on, but it's not priced like it either. Yes, I have some of
their stuff as well(bought used". What do you tool guys think?
"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Most of my hand tools are craftsman. I have a 40 year old ratchet set that I got from my Dad that still works great. As a teenager, my first mechanics tool set was craftsman.

Lately I've been buying dewalt power tools, but I still have a bunch of craftsman power tools from over the years.

I have 3 tool chests and many tool boxes that are craftsman.

I just installed 3 craftsman wall cabinets in my basement workshop. I'm looking to get a craftsman stool for the workbench (seville classics), and a couple of craftsman rolling tool cabinets to put down there.

I did enjoy the very generous return policy over the years, of which IIRC they curtailed a bit.

Good to hear the production is being sent back to the USA.

My basement workshop. WIP.

aanimw2f611t.jpg
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I've been using Craftsman tools for 40 years. Love em! woodworking, carpentry and hand tools. Saws and socket, I have them all.

I saw the men shopping in the tool aisles go from one in any aisle at any time of day to NONE shopping at times except me. I saw the decline! SAD. :(

A lot of younger people can't figure out a receiver, so automotive work and tool related projects needing more than a hammer and pliers is out of the question.

Computers in autos pretty much-ruined home car care beyond oil changing for the normal person with all the tools one could have for auto repair.

Also, younger people have NOWHERE to store tools anymore!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    I've got a lot of Craftsman tools. Nothing to complain about.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    When my Grandfather died in 1986 I was the only grandson interested in the tools he had collected. All Craftsman. I took the whole room.
    They have all held up and I appreciate the fact that my grandfather was a hands on type of guy. I learned a lot from him.
    Now who does the my brother and sister call for help or to borrow a tool.

I sometimes feel sad about what Sears has become when I pick up one of these Craftman tools.
    It was a great place to go back in the 70s as a kid.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    Kind of like the decline and fall of Radio Shack.
    My older son is a tool kind of guy. Younger one not at all.
    I guess a lot of the next generation will be writing a check.
    I have a decent car codereader and can find my way around
    under the hood of modern cars.
    The network techs at work stripped some screwheads
    pulling equipment out of racks. It all stayed in the rack until I
    brought in my drill and took care of it. We're talking about months here.
    I happened to mention I had to go out and drill out a screw on a UPS
    and they sent me to take care of the stuff at other sites.
    I carry a voltmeter in my toolbag. Guess I'm an old school tech.

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • verb
    I got a bench top drill press very similar to that! Craftsman!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,480
    Craftsman is sold at Farm and Fleet and wal-mart as well here. I have some Craftsman hand tools (wrenches, router, jig and circular saw)

I was gave a ton of brand new gear wrench X-beam stuff. Full sets of both metric and English stubby and full size. I really like those a lot fit real good in the hand.
  • Tony M
    edited May 2018
    I bought a radial full-size Delta drill press. Made a lot of mortise and tenon joints years ago with attachments. It was on sale at a tool supply house 5 blocks from my home. I felt like I was cheating on Sears too! But the drill I bought had great reviews and you know I like sales and deals.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    The first thing I bought with my first paycheck from my first job (December 1980) was a set of Craftsmen tools. Both the 1/2" and 3/8" ratchets have been replaced a few times, and a few screwdrivers, and I think one cracked socket. That's it. :)
  • helipilotdoug
    helipilotdoug Posts: 1,229
    I only have good things to say about Craftsman tools. In Jan. 1970, home on leave after Vietnam tour, I went to Sears and bought a everything from 1/2" and 3/8" socket sets with ratchet and breaker bars, complete sets of open end and box end wrenches, screw drivers, and a tool box to put them in. Still have most all those tools and that tool box 48 years later. The 1/2" ratchet broke, only because I needed a hammer in a hurry and used it as one. And of course am missing that 7/16 socket that for some reason seems like everyone comes up missing. Craftsman was a very good choice for tools back then. Hopefully with them returning production back to the States, the quality will be there again.
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    I have lots of Craftsman tools, all at least 15 years old. None of the newer made in China junk. With production moving back to the US, I hope quality improves because these days I'd pick Harbor Freight before Craftsman.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Where are all of those 7/16" sockets?

For me, lately, it's 10 mm sockets that have (as we'd say in my line of work) a surprisingly high vapor pressure.

• Tony M
    That's funny!!^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • verb
    I just picked up another craftsman (now I have 4) tool chest off CL. This one is for the workshop in the basement!
    lrmeprjtx1zp.png
  • Tony M
    I'd make room for that one! Nice find!! It looks new!

I have two stationary Craftsman workbenchs/tool storage w/drawers and Galv. tops.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited May 2018
    One of my aspirations is to own nice toolbox/chest like that for when I work on my car.
  • verb
    The Mrs just bought me a new craftsman work stool!
    dl84il9eu1k3.jpg
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Great looking workspace!
  • verb
    Thanks Drew. Still WIP. Just 2 weeks ago, that area was completely jammed with moving boxes from the old house. The previous owners left a particle board shelving unit with mirrored glass doors/drawers/polished brass accents in there. Wonder why they left it? :smile: Tore that down to make room for the workbenches and wall cabinets.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    I was wondering why you had such a clean workspace. I thought to myself, that looks cool but he must work on reading books or some s**t because I don't see one drop of oil, cut mark, hammer mark or scratch on anything. Time to make some character marks man! Get to work.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • verb
    Haha! That's the basement! Never had a workspace entirely dedicated to my hobbies. The garage is a mess! :smile:
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    edited August 2023
    500.00 for can win survey. Seems Odd. Reported
    Randy/Maine
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I know where the 11/16" sockets went...
    c99jm7agvcht.png
    aorf02ejuqlq.png
    1 finger discount?
    I disabled signatures.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    edited August 2023
    ^^^^ That's highly collectible, very low number 9 of 50660. :)
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    boston1450 wrote: »
    500.00 for can win survey. Seems Odd. Reported

DAMmit! and it made me think this was a current thread.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,480
    edited August 2023
    So I'll chime in on the Craftsman tools. Last week or the week before there was an article in the Wall Street Journal about how Stanley had spent over $90 million dollars to build a state of the art tool manufacturing facility in Texas to produce Craftsman hand tools again in the U.S.A. They had brought some special machines from a European country that specializes in automation machines. They also had hired some folks who worked for the last craftsman factory here in the states. Most long retired.
    Long story short they (Stanley) couldn't make it happen, had tons of problems with the machines, couldn't get them to make consistent proper sizes and other problems. Stanley decided $90 million was enough of a money pit and pulled the plug and sent the machines back to Europe.
    I was not aware that Stanley also makes Mac tools. I guess those aren't made in America either I always thought they were.