Audio Fidelity is closing down

F1nut
F1nut Posts: 49,781
Damn!!!
Dear Music Lovers: 

After much deliberation and much back and forth, I have decided to wind down Audio Fidelity.

It was a very, very difficult decision.  It has been a great 17 year run with Audio Fidelity.

Looking back, we have been fortunate to work with so many great artists.  These recording stars have trusted us with their music and have applauded the quality of our albums and CDs.  I’m grateful to Cosby, Stills & Nash, Phil Collins, Elton John, Stevie Wonder, Simon & Garfunkel, Kate Bush, Sade, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, Jethro Tull, the Doors, Deep Purple, Yes, Cat Stevens, James Taylor, Linda Ronstadt, The Grateful Dead, Dio, Billy Joel, Santana, Rush, Alice Cooper, The Beach Boys and many, many, many more along with their managers and representatives. 

Many of our original soundtracks such as Blade Runner, Tron were among our most successful releases.  So many great titles, so much great music.

I want to give a special thanks for the support that our 24K Gold, Vinyl and Platinum Club Members have given us these many years.  Your support, encouragement, suggestions have been very important to our success. 

I look back with enormous pride to be able to work with Steve Hoffman (again) Kevin Gray (again) and Stephen Marsh.  We were always on the same page with our goal to create the best sounding remasters.  Our goal was to enhance the sound…never to change it.  I am certain that the Audio Fidelity catalog will stand the test of time.

It’s time to move on.  There are other passions and projects that have my interest.

We have made an arrangement with Bob Bantz of Elusive Disc to handle all current inventory. He will take care of all your CD, SACD and vinyl needs.

The Vault will remain open on the Audio Fidelity website for a short period of time.  I’ve given our archives and collectible titles to two of our employees, who will keep the Vault and the collectibles available to you until they are sold out. 

I want to thank you all of you for your suggestions and your support over the last 17 years.   It’s been a nice ride and I’m glad that you were able to ride along with me.

Will the bug bite me again?  I can never say never but for now I want to thank you for allowing us to have shared with you the music we love.…Marshall

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Comments

• dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    Wow!
    This has not been a good year for Audio enthusiasts.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,548
    edited May 2018
    Well that sucks :(:( I've bought many
  • F1nut
    I'm a bit surprised at the lack of comments about the loss of this great audiophile label. Just because one can stream, download or whatever hi-rez music doesn't mean it was mastered worth a crap and expert mastering is what Audio Fidelity was all about because that's truly what counts the most.

It's a very sad day for those that appreciate the best.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    I'm just not familiar with them. I know of Mobile Fidelity, which I own some records of, but that's the only one.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,055
    I don't understand todays world at all. I see so many companies going out of business. It's like how we grew up and what we loved are all going away.
    I hate hearing things like this.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    F1nut wrote: »
    I'm a bit surprised at the lack of comments about the loss of this great audiophile label. Just because one can stream, download or whatever hi-rez music doesn't mean it was mastered worth a crap and expert mastering is what Audio Fidelity was all about because that's truly what counts the most.

Yep....but this generation doesn't appreciate quality in ....anything. I life of mediocre existence is all they strive for.....and even that they don't want to pay for.

I must admit though, at Axpona I was really feeling good about the industry as there was many younger folks there. Just being interested in audio quality is a good step in the right direction. Still, many uneducated in the ways of audio reproduction/mastering. Many still don't know it's "a thing". Try talking to the average Joe about it and you get the deer in the headlights look.

In my day, everyone had a stereo of some sort. Today, it's all about listening to highly compressed music from your phone with earbuds. High quality is not the deciding factor there. Many homes I go into don't even have a stereo, at all.

The lack of appreciation for the arts, of which music is one, is simply astounding today. In my view, it all starts at home, then is knocked around, knocked down at school . By the time they get into the real world, they're ripping down statues, defacing paintings and other works of art, listening to music with overtones of activism, smacking down artists on social media.

It's a brave new world, one we are creating every day.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,020
    Being an Old Guy, when I hear the name Audio Fidelity, I think of the groundbreaking 1950s/1960s audiophile* record company. Was this incarnation in any way related to the original (e.g., was the choice of name an homage?).

q51m2fwhr52b.png

xne8x9fjtgay.png

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    tonyb wrote: »

Yep....but this generation doesn't appreciate quality in ....anything. I life of mediocre existence is all they strive for.....and even that they don't want to pay for.

I must admit though, at Axpona I was really feeling good about the industry as there was many younger folks there. Just being interested in audio quality is a good step in the right direction. Still, many uneducated in the ways of audio reproduction/mastering. Many still don't know it's "a thing". Try talking to the average Joe about it and you get the deer in the headlights look.

In my day, everyone had a stereo of some sort. Today, it's all about listening to highly compressed music from your phone with earbuds. High quality is not the deciding factor there. Many homes I go into don't even have a stereo, at all.

The lack of appreciation for the arts, of which music is one, is simply astounding today. In my view, it all starts at home, then is knocked around, knocked down at school . By the time they get into the real world, they're ripping down statues, defacing paintings and other works of art, listening to music with overtones of activism, smacking down artists on social media.

I wish that people would strive for the best. That’s what I’m trying to do. I think that if people don’t stop settling for “good enough” then this hobby is not going to last long. In our house, real art is celebrated; good music is played (except for my sisters music), paintings on the wall, and big stereos throughout. If my mom had her way, there wouldn’t be a speaker larger than 3x3x3 inches. She has tried to get my dad to get rid of his sound system for years. She managed to get him to give away his old Cerwin Vegas, which he has regretted since the day he got rid of them. Since he hasn’t gotten rid of any speakers that work and sound good, although he still doesn’t have many (doesn’t buy audio gear much), just his Boston’s and Eosones. My mom has managed to get him to push his Eosones back into the corner, and have the receiver off to one side with his TT. I’m using the Boston’s, along with many others, standing quite literally smack in the middle of the room :mrgreen:
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,055

I'd like to figure out a way to bring it back man.
    On a side note we carry Meridian and I'm working with a older Audiophile to outfit his man cave with a killer system. It's refreshing to meet someone who still cares about high quality audio. Meridian makes incredible stuff and I'm so looking forward to putting together this system for him.
    Over the last 5 years I have only sold 6 higher end systems for people.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • pitdogg2
    Blame apple....

;)
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,013
    edited May 2018
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Being an Old Guy, when I hear the name Audio Fidelity, I think of the groundbreaking 1950s/1960s audiophile* record company. Was this incarnation in any way related to the original (e.g., was the choice of name an homage?).

q51m2fwhr52b.png

xne8x9fjtgay.png

Wow, that name on 78's is a sign of how old the term is. ;)

Quality vacuum you've got there! We have a Miele and Riccar dealer around the corner. I lucked up on a "like new" Riccar upright from Goodwill a few years ago for the high cost of 12.00. Yea, I know.. :D:pB) Here's a pic. from the web of what mine looks like. Not sure if it's the same one though but it looks to be.
    590mtsopll1h.png

If it wasn't for me going into that Vacuum dealership to get hoover parts, I wouldn't know what those two brands represent at all. I love how this Riccar operates too. The bags are expensive though. But the bags are the nicest bags I've ever seen for a vacuum. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Maybe a little truth in there, but you're using too broad a brush. My experience has shown me that there's wide acceptance of mediocrity across all generations, and many in your (our) generation don't want to pay more for something they don't perceive as better. Face it, fine audio is a niche. If this creates a void that some enterprising person thinks they can profit from, there will be another Audio Fidelity type business to come along, IF there's enough perceived demand. I guess you're thinking it will never happen, but I think it will. Maybe the distribution model will be different, but there are still many artists out there who care about the quality of their product, and probably enough consumers of those products that care, too. Physical media is dying - of that, there's little doubt, and it makes sense, too - just not to everyone. Maybe the golden age of HiFi has passed, but it won't go away completely, IMHO. We've seen lots of changes in the past 3-4 decades, and I doubt we've reached the end.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,020
    Tony M wrote: »
    [...

Wow, that name on 78's is a sign of how old the term is. ;)

Quality vacuum you've got there! We have a Miele and Riccar dealer around the corner. I lucked up on a "like new" Riccar upright from Goodwill a few years ago for the high cost of 12.00. Yea, I know.. :D:pB) Here's a pic. from the web of what mine looks like. Not sure if it's the same one though but it looks to be.
    590mtsopll1h.png

If it wasn't for me going into that Vacuum dealership to get hoover parts, I wouldn't know what those two brands represent at all. I love how this Riccar operates too. The bags are expensive though. But the bags are the nicest bags I've ever seen for a vacuum. ;)

Not my 78 nor my Miele, I fear. :#
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098

What can one say Jesse?...It seems to be a sign of the times..Most of the consumer market doesn't have the disposable cash that they once had..Nice things cost money..but a lot of the money is searching for cheaper substitutes without reguard for true quality...Sad times for the audio market...
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,752
    Wow, that is truly sad....I wonder if someone else can pick up the company. I dont know the finances or logistics involved but I just cannot see this going away....what a huge blow to the community.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,089
    Sound United has been buying everything else lately... Alexa, what do you think?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Marfly
    Marfly Posts: 66
    Well, look at it this way, what we own on the AF label just went up in value and I own quite a few. It still sucks however.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I'm just not familiar with them. I know of Mobile Fidelity, which I own some records of, but that's the only one.

Same here. I was trying to place them, but couldn’t. I was thinking another audio store.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Marfly
    Marfly Posts: 66
    Think Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray.
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    I can't say I am surprised. The market for CD/SACD has been shrinking and it is only a matter of time when the accounting doesn't add up. Unlike Mobile Fidelity (MoFi), whose parent company is Music Direct, Audio Fidelity (AF) doesn't have much (i.e. sale of audio hardware) to fall back on if one of two titles stiffed in the marketplace.

The number of SACD titles released worldwide has been at historic high during the last 3 years (around 800 titles released worldwide each year), but this year has seen a significant drop off.

I do hope companies such as Intervention Records can pick up where AF left off.
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited May 2018
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Nightfall wrote: »

Same here. I was trying to place them, but couldn’t. I was thinking another audio store.

AF released these titles on SACD, amongst many other....

Soundtrack of "Close Encounter of the Third Kind"
    Soundtrack of "Blade Runner" (music by Vangelis)
    The Best of the Doors (in 4.0 multi-channel)
    The Best of Bread (in 4.0 multi-channel)
    B.B. King & Eric Clapton - Riding With The King
    Rage Against The Machine's self-titled debut album
    Styx - Paradise Theater
    Asia - Alpha

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,889
    edited May 2018
    IMO, the bigger problem is how many times can a title be rereleased? A lot of SACD/Gold CD’s regurgitate the same artist, and or titles, it gets old, and that is the biggest reason I don’t venture into looking for them anymore, if I run into something or someone post something new, I might look at getting it..

Also there is more to music than Classical, and Classic Rock...

Edit: I should also note mofi is just as bad in this business model...
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Agreed, plus I think the main reason they do a lot of classical is because the label doesn't have to worry about paying anyone royalties since they are all dead.

I would like more rock titles released, The Eagles, Beach Boys, Michael Jackson, Carly Simon, James Taylor, the list is endless.

But then they would charge 30-50.00 per disc, and I'm not about to pay that when I already have good cd's that cost me 15.00 to 20.00 brand new!

I love the sacd & dvd-a's that I already have, but if they decide to stop production, I won't lose any sleep over it.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • pitdogg2
    I'll pay 30/50! I'd like to have all Rush up to Roll the Bones on SACD. And many many others....

Sick and tired seeing the classical repackaged for the 6 millionth time.
  • F1nut
    But then they would charge 30-50.00 per disc, and I'm not about to pay that when I already have good cd's that cost me 15.00 to 20.00 brand new!

$30 to $50 is the going rate right now. I have no problem paying those prices because the music sounds WAY better than those $15 to $20 versions.

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906

$30 to $50 is the going rate right now. I have no problem paying those prices because the music sounds WAY better than those $15 to $20 versions.

That it does Jess, but multiply those numbers by just half of your library and it's big money. Which circles us back to "good enough" standards most use who are not audiophiles.

If that good enough standard is used when buying gear, the same people will certainly use the same standard when buying music.

The disposable income comment earlier was also a valid reason. Good audio for many is a luxury, and when it comes to luxuries , priorities have to be made. Audio is usually at the bottom of that list, if your a family man anyway.

One has to still appreciate the value of quality recordings, whether you can afford them or not.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,013
    edited May 2018
    When I was younger, I had a car payment and other payments to payout.

What I didn't have was a 100.00+ phone bill to have to deal with. I could afford to join that record club and get records quite often. I bought a nice stereo set-up and enjoyed the latest hit albums every so often. But I didn't have tuition to pay back or a 100.00 phone bill every month burdening me.

I think people's extra cash is going elsewhere beside physical music media. :(:|

People now pay as much for their phone as I did for my first car. My car would get paid off but insurance keeps on but it's cheap in a way. Phone's get paid off but the service keeps on and it's not as cheap as insurance I don't think. Liability coverage that is. Not full coverage and add-ons.

Collage tuition and drinking and eating out all the time, and the above bills leave very little for Audio Hobbyists or passionate Audiophiles. Very little! And people don't know how to run wires under carpet or DON'T want to run wires across their hardwood floors at all. I don't blame them. Carpet is disappearing from new homes FAST. :|
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,089
    The price of SACD's is why I pursued vinyl instead. I feel that an LP, properly transferred to digital is at least equal to SACD in quality, if not better and vinyl playback for just listening is as good as it gets.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    The price of SACD's is why I pursued vinyl instead. I feel that an LP, properly transferred to digital is at least equal to SACD in quality, if not better and vinyl playback for just listening is as good as it gets.

MoFi Brothers In Arms

SACD $29.99
    180g vinyl $34.99

Buy the SACD and save $5.00.

President of Club Polk