Marantz SR5012 with Polkaudio RTI A9

Good morning. I kindly need a suggestion. I'm going to buy a power amplifier Marantz SR5012 and a couple of Polk Audio RTI A9. I need to know if the Marantz SR5012 is technically compatible with the RTI A9 and if its power is suitable to move such a big floorstanding speakers.
The best practice is to listen an hi fi system before buy it, but in my case it's impossible. In Italy, at this time, there aren't hi fi store with the brand Polk Audio.
For this reason, I ask you if you ever tested this power amplifier with the RTI A9. If yes, the system sounds good? If no, do you think that, referring to you experience in audio systems, SR5012 + RTI A9 will be a good choice? Thank you, kind regards.

Comments

• dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    edited May 2018
    You will need a high current amplifier with the 9s.
    The Marantz is a great receiver and has pre amp outputs for all channels of amplification.
    If you go with a 2 channel amp you can use the receiver for the rest of your speakers.

Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • Maurillio
    Maurillio Posts: 2
    Thank you dolbyd for answer.
    The Marantz SR5012 is a 7.2 system.
    Will a solution be, that I bi-amp the RtiA9 using the surround ports of the amplifier?
    The room in which the system will play is small (23ft x 16ft). The purpose is to have a
    system that sounds at low volumes clearly and reproducing all the frequency of
    music.
    Referring to what I have written, do you suggest to proceed with be-amplification or is better than I choose a smaller system, both speakers and amplifier?
    Thank you, best regards
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Maurillio wrote: »
    Thank you dolbyd for answer.
    The Marantz SR5012 is a 7.2 system.
    Will a solution be, that I bi-amp the RtiA9 using the surround ports of the amplifier?
    The room in which the system will play is small (23ft x 16ft). The purpose is to have a
    system that sounds at low volumes clearly and reproducing all the frequency of
    music.
    Referring to what I have written, do you suggest to proceed with be-amplification or is better than I choose a smaller system, both speakers and amplifier?
    Thank you, best regards

If I was you I would get the Marantz and the speakers, then get a used (or new) separate pre amp. Used I would look at used Parasound/B&K/NAD (anyone else have suggestions? I know there are more but I can’t think right now), new I would look at the same brands or for budget Emotiva or if you have a REALLY low budget, a Crown or similar PA amp (although I would suggest going used instead).
    If this is for music then I would not suggest the RTiA series, as they are great for movies but are terrible for music (they have really harsh highs that are extremely fatiguing). I would go with the LSiM or Signature series, or if you want to buy used you can get a pair of LSi series speakers (although with the LSis you will need a beefy amp, they are hard to drive).
    We are here for more help if you need it.
    Micah
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    The AVR is fine for the rest of the speakers, but you're going to need high current to drive the 9s. The AVR should have preouts ( I haven't looked) but should support an amp inserted between the AVR and the speakers. Don't bother with the bi-amp on the AVR to your speakers. Won't help near as much as a separate amp.
    At another location I'm driving some RTiA7s with an older Sherwood 5 channel amp and really helps to deliver a better sound. Few hundred bucks and really helps the sound. Actually helps them sound better with music also.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra