WTB: high current amp

2»

Comments

• Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    No worries, i was thinking about running a 20a line anyway. This will just "force" me to.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    No worries, i was thinking about running a 20a line anyway. This will just "force" me to.

for both sides of the amp......2 lines, two outlets
  • Gerres26
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Two duplex outlets for one amp? I know it has two power cords but do you think each side needs its own dedicated 20a line? I figured one dedicated line to a duplex outlet would be good for now since where my setup is located in the house now isn't where it's going to be staying.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474

Two duplex outlets for one amp? I know it has two power cords but do you think each side needs its own dedicated 20a line? I figured one dedicated line to a duplex outlet would be good for now since where my setup is located in the house now isn't where it's going to be staying.

If it was me and in it's final resting place yes I would run TWO 20amp dedicated lines to two outlets.
  • Gerres26
    I agree, for now I'll run atleast one but maybe two dedicated lines. When i finish the basement and get a dedicated listening room again, i plan to run atleast 3.

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    That, HCA 3500 when hottodded became what is the Parasound JC series. That 3500 is an awesome kit.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165

If it was me and in it's final resting place yes I would run TWO 20amp dedicated lines to two outlets.

That's what I just did and my amp has no such need, but they told me to do it, so I did! My father would have asked, "If they told you to jump off a bridge, would you do it?" Well, Dad, it depends on how high that bridge is... :)
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    If all my friends were jumping off a cliff, I would jump after.
    Their bodies would break my fall :tongue:
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    mlistens03 wrote: »

I have absolutely no desire to land on any of my friend's bodies.
  • Gerres26
    Well, the Hca3500 deal fell through due to logistics...the search continues
  • mlistens03
    Viking64 wrote: »
    mlistens03 wrote: »

I have absolutely no desire to land on any of my friend's bodies.

Haha good point. Still though, better than going splat.
  • Gerres26
    What is everyone's thoughts on class D amps like the Wyred4Sound sx1000 monoblocks? I've read that they have a ton of power obviously but will they be as sweet/smooth sounding as class A, or A/B?
  • Gerres26
    That's what i was worried of, especially since i prefer a "warmer" sound to an analytical one.
  • mlistens03
    edited April 2018
    My dads Pioneer SC-25 receiver sounds pretty good on his speakers, and it uses class D, but I’ve never given it a serious listen. Besides, his speakers aren’t anything great, although he does have a nice Luxman TT
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    DSkip wrote: »
    The Pioneer SC series are superb receivers and a type of class D I can stand, but they still don't compare to proper separates. The sound is still two dimensional, though the tone is not as artificial as other D amps I've experienced.

I think that's a fairly good assessment. Class D just lacks some musicality to my ears.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Anyone have ears yet on the latest PS Audio class D amps?
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Gerres26
    I've been reading some about that Musical Fidelity A5 integrated and it has me intrigued. The specs look good, its deceiving because it doesn't seem to be a physically large piece of equipment. Do you guys think this would be a step up from my B&K seperates and will it have any trouble pushing the big Polks?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I've been reading some about that Musical Fidelity A5 integrated and it has me intrigued. The specs look good, its deceiving because it doesn't seem to be a physically large piece of equipment. Do you guys think this would be a step up from my B&K seperates and will it have any trouble pushing the big Polks?

Yes it's a step up and no, won't have a problem pushing the Polks. The MF A5 is a nice integrated no bones about it. If you can snag one for a great price, do so.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Gerres26
    tonyb wrote: »

Yes it's a step up and no, won't have a problem pushing the Polks. The MF A5 is a nice integrated no bones about it. If you can snag one for a great price, do so.

Thanks Tony, what would a fair price be on one, under 1k?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    They float around from $850-$1200

There's one for $900 on US audiomart right now

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649431963-musical-fidelity-a5-integrated-amplifier/
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Gerres26
    That's the one I'm interested in, if all looks good i should be able to grab it in a couple days.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    That's the one I'm interested in, if all looks good i should be able to grab it in a couple days.

Did you get it?
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Gerres26
    vmaxer wrote: »

Did you get it?

Meeting him tomorrow, he was nice enough to drive half way. I'll post some impressions once i get my ears on it.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116

Did you get it?

Meeting him tomorrow, he was nice enough to drive half way. I'll post some impressions once i get my ears on it.

Well..,.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Gerres26

Did you get it?

Well..,.

Sorry for the delayed post, i wasn't able to get it set up until last night. First off, the build quality on this thing is very nice. The amp is much beefier/more nice looking than pictures on the interwebs show. I turned it on and played a few songs to let it warm up while I was doing other things, then i sat down with some bourbon and listened for a while.

First thing I noticed when compared to my B&k gear is a much more quiet background. The imaging is great. I could pinpoint instruments and voices more so than ever before. Overall it has a very smooth musical sound with strong bass and great highs without being shrill. And Tony was correct, this amp has no problem pushing the big Polks, it can really crank if you want it to. I'm very happy with my first impressions and can't wait to listen some more today.