UBER

tonyb
tonyb Posts: 32,902
Few weeks ago, I decided to give them a try. Down loaded the app to my phone, set up the account, easy peasy. Used them to go to the airport when I went to NC for a wedding.

My first taste of annoyance came with all the flippin' notifications they send you. Literally 6 notifications to take one trip. Ride went as planned, no cheaper than a regular taxi though. Then my phone starts going off with more notifications while in the TSA line asking to evaluate my driver, leave him a tip, blah blah. My second taste came the next day, when sitting in the ceremony and my phone is getting bombed with notifications telling me my uber driver is 15 minutes away.

I never ordered a Uber driver while in NC. 15 minutes later, a second separate uber driver is sending me notifications that he's outside xyz waiting for me. WTF is wrong with you people. I called them back to explain I never ordered an uber but they were oblivious as to what to do to rectify the situation.

I get home, 3 days later.....yep, getting notifications again my Uber driver is on his way. Deleted the app. Sorry Uber, your lack of customer support and aggravation isn't worth my time.
HT SYSTEM-
Sony 850c 4k
Pioneer elite vhx 21
Sony 4k BRP
SVS SB-2000
Polk Sig. 20's
Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
Grant Fidelity tube dac
B&k 1420
lsi 9's

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited April 2018
    Interesting report from the trenches. Thanks for sharing your experience/impressions.
    I've never tried 'em (imagine that).

Sounds like they've (already) jumped the shark, though.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    I've used uber exclusively for the past 5 years or so and have never experienced any of the issues you are describing. Yes they send you updates as to when your driver is on the way, i can potentially see how that can be annoying to some, but it is also incredibly useful so you don't have to sit outside and wait to be picked up. As far as erroneous trips, all i can guess is something weird with your specific app install.
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    used twice in NYC to and from LGA all went well and a few bucks cheaper............
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited April 2018
    I use and really like Uber and have had the app for years. Never a glitch or any issues as mentioned by the OP.

Tony, you must have a bunch of bad Karma owed you.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • tonyb
    My first thought was someone snagged my account. None of the drivers I talked to knew how to rectify the problem or who to call. Everything needed to be done on the internet and pages of B.S. to sift through. I don't have time for that, nor would I want to with any service. If you can't give me a real person to talk to, I have no need for your business.

Plus the notifications are a bit extreme. If my pickup time is xyz, I'll be out there, don't need 5 reminders of it followed by more notifications after the ride is complete. Maybe it's a generational thing, I was brought up to be responsible, on time....not so much the newer generations and Uber's business model reflects that with all the notifications. I can understand a notification if the driver is going to be late, but being on time is expected, so the constant notifications is very irritating.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Only taxis for me, and there are plenty around. When I see Uber or Lyft drivers downtown they usually look like they are lost. I would rather get in a car with someone who drives all day as a professional.

Taxis in DC have got a lot better. Used to be a few years ago the cab companies were driving Ford Crown Victorias with several hindred thousand miles on the odometer and worn out suspensions and brakes. Now the cars are mostly new hybrids with computer hookups to pay easily by credit card and go.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Sounds like someone might have a hit out on you. An unsuspecting fella might have been taken for a ride...
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited April 2018
    Use it a fair amount when we are having cocktails and don't want to drive. We don't have a great taxi system here, but UBER has been pretty much flawless and very convenient.

My app has none of the issues you experienced Tony, easy peasy and smooth each time. A couple times he had a hard time finding us, but it's a mutual thing. You need to be looking for them when they are very close as well as them looking for you.

It's really been great, since our taxi system here is pretty much non-existent. We've used UBER in the 'burbs (Naperville) and in Michigan when we were traveling, etc. We've actually participated in more local events that serve alcohol, knowing we don't have to worry about driving home should we get a bit past the legal limit. It's great peace of mind as Illinois is like the N a z i party when it comes to DUI's, and check points and now mandatory in the field blood tests starting May 1st.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Interesting report from the trenches. Thanks for sharing your experience/impressions.
    I've never tried 'em (imagine that).

Sounds like they've (already) jumped the shark, though.

I would hardly use one story like Tony's to form an opinion. They have their issues for sure, as many start ups do, but in certain situations when a ride is needed, it has been great for us and not that expensive.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited April 2018
    tonyb wrote: »
    My first thought was someone snagged my account. None of the drivers I talked to knew how to rectify the problem or who to call. Everything needed to be done on the internet and pages of B.S. to sift through. I don't have time for that, nor would I want to with any service. If you can't give me a real person to talk to, I have no need for your business.

Plus the notifications are a bit extreme. If my pickup time is xyz, I'll be out there, don't need 5 reminders of it followed by more notifications after the ride is complete. Maybe it's a generational thing, I was brought up to be responsible, on time....not so much the newer generations and Uber's business model reflects that with all the notifications. I can understand a notification if the driver is going to be late, but being on time is expected, so the constant notifications is very irritating.

So there aren't any variables that might not make you on time. It's a traffic based, on demand service. No one can predict traffic or where they will be in relation to where you are, so to say they should be 100% on time or they are irresponsible, does show you're getting old and don't understand the purpose of the business.

I like notifications (within reason) so I know when they will arrive. it's not an exact science and a couple notifications shouldn't upset you that much.

Maybe the service isn't for you, but I have found it so damn convenient and not all that expensive. We probably use it 2-3 times a month and more in the Summer months as more actives seem to be going on.

H9
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    x43xevgydab9.jpg

Gabe: You know what an UBER is?
    Walker: Nope.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
  • tonyb
    heiney9 wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    So there aren't any variables that might not make you on time. It's a traffic based, on demand service. No one can predict traffic or where they will be in relation to where you are, so to say they should be 100% on time or they are irresponsible, does show you're getting old and don't understand the purpose of the business.

I like notifications (within reason) so I know when they will arrive. it's not an exact science and a couple notifications shouldn't upset you that much.

H9

Brock my good man, nowhere in my posts did I complain about being on time. Of course it's traffic based, just like a good old Taxi is, but that was never my complaint. I'm not talking a couple notifications either, one ride....start to finish....12 notifications. From the time I booked it, until after they dropped me off.

...and btw, I'm not too old to understand the nature of their business. I do understand when service is annoying, when customer service is lacking. I'd imagine you'd have a few complaints about audio companies with lousy service, does that mean you don't understand their business model ? ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Maybe the algorithms, new you were old and they just wanted to make sure you understood :pB):D:D:D
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited May 2018
    Wanted to make sure he was awake when the Uber arrived.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    Danny Glover never had this problem.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    If I can't drive there myself, I don't go, and if I plan on having enough to drink that driving may be ill-advised, I stay home.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Very regular Uber and Lyft user, never experienced your issues either Tony, though there are glitches here and there, rare, but there nonetheless.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I refuse to use Uber as I consider them scabs. If you want to be a taxi driver then go through the process of every other taxi driver and pay fees, licenses, bonding and/or insurance. To me it's nothing more than a way to get around well established laws that regulates and maintains standards for an industry..
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I refuse to use Uber as I consider them scabs. If you want to be a taxi driver then go through the process of every other taxi driver and pay fees, licenses, bonding and/or insurance. To me it's nothing more than a way to get around well established laws that regulates and maintains standards for an industry..

Agree with @kharp1 especially with all the sensationalized stories out there about passengers getting victimized. And worse.

Every industry has it's growing pains, but when it comes to safety there is no compromise.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    I've used Uber all over the country and never had an issue. Drivers on time, get me where I need to go on the shortest route, and cars are WAY cleaner than most cabs I've been in over 30+ years of business travel.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Jaybeez wrote: »
    I've used Uber all over the country and never had an issue. Drivers on time, get me where I need to go on the shortest route, and cars are WAY cleaner than most cabs I've been in over 30+ years of business travel.

It wouldn't matter to me if they were driving limo's, I'm not going to help undercut a business by bypassing established standards and regs. That's just me.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    We are regular users of uber. Much cheaper than cabs in our city. A trip from home to the airport by cab is about 70-75$ uber is about 45-55$. We used it often when in London too as well as San Francisco if I'm not mistaken.