On a binge again...

Comments

• delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Well I did it again... This time on eBay.
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=263286392401&alt=web
    I think I did ok... What say the forum?

I saw those too. You did good. The seller messed up on his description and it cost him.

I am thinking those are a very early pair of SDA-2s before they started printing the connect instructions on the back. It also had a very early style connector. I think they are original and not a reworked pair of Frankenpolks.

Even if they are by the time you part out the 10 drivers and tweeters (with 2 new RDO's) you will come out way ahead,
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    edited November 2017
    No part out... They will be cleaned and modded and enjoyed... Just don't know where yet...

@TNTsTunes I should specify that I have the first pair posted, not the ones with the RTA/SDA PR.
  • delkal
    No part out... They will be cleaned and modded and enjoyed... Just don't know where yet...

@TNTsTunes I should specify that I have the first pair posted, not the ones with the RTA/SDA PR.

I know you won't but when I first saw them I first thought they were something put together. Cheesy stickers for left and right channel and some "unknown" interconnect cable (there are some post here saying they are not original but this is wrong). So I started thinking part value............

But they are original and you did even better.
  • FestYboy
    So my thoughts are to take one of the RDOs and stick in the other cabinet, then disable the 1000s in the SDA position... Or should I grab another pair of RDOs?
  • delkal
    edited November 2017
    So my thoughts are to take one of the RDOs and stick in the other cabinet, then disable the 1000s in the SDA position... Or should I grab another pair of RDOs?

I don't think SDAs work as well with 2 tweeters. I would take the RDO's and put them in another project (You just saved $100 off of the cost of the speakers). Then use the Sl1000 for the main treble and figure out some kind of plug on the sda position holes to keep the speaker airtight.

Those older 1000's are much nicer then the 2000's. They have value and shouldn't be used just for a placeholder. You should like the way they sound but if you don't put in the RDOs............

Then send the 1000's to me. I can give you some SL2000s that would Be perfect to fill a hole :)
  • FestYboy
    Ok, I'll check them out first and see how they fit my ears.

On an unrelated note: I just lost a set of 7s because the seller sold them out from under me... 2 days ago... Even when there were plans for Tuesday... I had them dead to rights 4 hours after they were posted and he called me that night to confirm... Then he acts surprised when I call him on it "isn't that how it's supposed to work?!" The lack of respect out there blows my mind.
  • delkal
    edited November 2017
    Ok, I'll check them out first and see how they fit my ears.

On an unrelated note: I just lost a set of 7s because the seller sold them out from under me... 2 days ago... Even when there were plans for Tuesday... I had them dead to rights 4 hours after they were posted and he called me that night to confirm... Then he acts surprised when I call him on it "isn't that how it's supposed to work?!" The lack of respect out there blows my mind.

Were these the ones in Bucks for $60? I called him too the next day. He said someone wanted to get them but couldn't come over till Tues. And someone else called and was supposed to come over Sat after work.

I told him if the deal didn't work out to call me back I would pick them up in 1/2 hour.

He didn't call me back.

• FestYboy
    Them's the ones!!!
  • delkal
    Did you really think you would get a a pair of SDA's and a set Monitor 7's for $135 (on the same weekend). You would be a legend here!

I was briefly thinking the same thing.......But at least you have a nice set of SDA2s.

I don't have anything new.
  • FestYboy
    edited November 2017
    delkal wrote: »
    Did you really think you would get a a pair of SDA's and a set Monitor 7's for $135 (on the same weekend). You would be a legend here!

That was the plan... ;) Hopefully my NAD deal doesn't fall through... It's one of their bigger units for a bill, destined to replace the living room rig and that stuff will then move to the garage to replace what's out there... The SDAs will replace the 11Ts in the living room and the 11Ts will take place of the Infinitys in the TR as main L&R and the recent 5jr purchase will go into the L&R wide positions. This will require rearranging the on wall shelves (fun) :# Then there's the 12Bs to deal with, and the 5s, 7s, 9s, 10s, and 11s to deal with... I'll eventually have a rig it 2 per room.

And yes, I know I'm nuts so we'll get that out of the way right now. Oh, and I'm blaming you all as enablers.
  • You need more SDA's and some big SRS's too.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• FestYboy, you are a BEAST!!! LOL
  • FestYboy
    Picked up the SDAs... They're all real wood!!! 2 pin IC cable, no indication of a serial number anywhere. PO stated they were obtained directly from the shop after CES in 82? They sound fantastic for a quick listen.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Picked up the SDAs... They're all real wood!!! 2 pin IC cable, no indication of a serial number anywhere. PO stated they were obtained directly from the shop after CES in 82? They sound fantastic for a quick listen.

You know the rules pictures dang it
  • delkal

Don't tell me that. I should have bid on them!
  • FestYboy
    edited November 2017
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Hold on...
    0l0ejbapn8ut.jpg
    I need to reseal the one with the RDOs... The other is almost as good as the LF14
  • FestYboy wrote: »

I'm betting real wood means real wood veneer on the MDF the speakers are made out of. That is how my SDA 2's were. My early CRS's were veneered also.

"Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• FestYboy
    ^ yes. They need some serious love, and I'll be after some advice from more experienced members here to get them looking as good as they sound.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Hold on...
    0l0ejbapn8ut.jpg
    I need to reseal the one with the RDOs... The other is almost as good as the LF14

Ok my bad you posted those i thought these were different set. They had that funky RTA type cable connect. Correct?
  • FestYboy
    Yeah, using only 2 of the 3 positions in the socket.

Btw, the grills are underneath, flipped face down so the IC bung is protected from touching the "floor" in transit.
  • FestYboy
    What the H3LL is wrong with me!?! Just picked up another pair of early 10As for half a bill...

And Tues I'm slated to get a pair of 4.5s for $40

I

Can't

Stop...
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited November 2017
    Back away Art, just back away!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • FestYboy
    In for a penny...?
  • FestYboy
    And so the new year begins: RTi 6 for $40 in fantastic shape.

These will go in place of the Infinity A6(?) that are serving as main L and R in the HT for a while.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    This thread is contagious. CP has a lot of enablers in it BTW. I should be working on my 1C's but instead i'm sitting on my arse looking to add to my collection !!!

Nice grab on the RTi's !!!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    Festy's Sound Museum
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • FestYboy
    Add RTA 11s to the list... Picks in the light tomorrow.

Thanks @mdaudioguy for the opportunity AND the karma (Integra AVR to hold me over till I go separated).
  • FestYboy
    Ok so I'm way late on the RTA 11 pics, but y'all know what they look like.

Anywho, just brought home a steal of a deal CS-350... Why didn't I find one earlier!?! This thing is awesome!

If this is just a taste of what the SRT center can do... I need one... Yesterday! :D
    But they're hen's teeth so it's either be patient, or make my own...
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Ok so I'm way late on the RTA 11 pics, but y'all know what they look like.

Anywho, just brought home a steal of a deal CS-350... Why didn't I find one earlier!?! This thing is awesome!

If this is just a taste of what the SRT center can do... I need one... Yesterday! :D
    But they're hen's teeth so it's either be patient, or make my own...

Congrats on you purchase of one of the best centers out there! :p

NOW...you should pull each woofer out and check the spiders for glue not holding anymore. Maybe half a spider might be loose. You don't want to burn a voice coil out on those rare woofers. SERIOUSLY. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • FestYboy
    Will do, thanks for the heads up.