sounds like Mott the Hoople?

Comments

• chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    I think you got it backwards.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Which came first the Bowie or the Mott?

Anyway it's funny that I played Mott after playing Bowie. I thought my player glitched and put Bowie back on again lol.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    I like Mott's Young Dudes better than Bowie's.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    That happens a lot. Tonight I was listening to a new download from Bleed From Within. The first song, Clarity, reminded me of Baby Metal.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • afterburnt
    Baby Metal reminds me more of Marilyn Manson or Cindy Lauper not sure which one.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    BlueFox wrote: »
    That happens a lot. Tonight I was listening to a new download from Bleed From Within. The first song, Clarity, reminded me of Baby Metal.

Now I am playing Kai Hansen, Left Behind, and it reminds me of Smashing Pumpkins. Is there nothing original left in the world? :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    Just picturing Mott the Hoople doing, say Heroes or Blackstar...

https://youtu.be/kszLwBaC4Sw
  • gfong
    gfong Posts: 1,079
    edited April 2018
    Bowie wrote the song for them. Most people get it mixed up and think that Bowie is singing.
    Wiki....
    Was released in 72 after Bowie found out that the group was breaking up. Bowie offered them Suffragette City off of his yet unreleased album Ziggy but Mott turned it down so he wrote Dudes for them. Mott the Hoople been around in various incarnations since 69.
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2018
    All the Young Dudes -- which has been said to be, it is probably worth noting, a parody, of sorts, of Hey Jude -- contains one of my favorite lines in all of rock and roll.
    Is there* concrete all around or is it in my head?

I did not know that Bowie had offered Suffragette City to Mott the Hoople.
    It's a great song.

I didn't much appreciate Bowie too much when he was in his prime; he struck me as far too much of a poseur. Only later did I realize that every time he changed style, he was at the vanguard of a new thing. He did lead the charge over and over again -- at least in the mass (pop) market.

• motorhead43026
    edited April 2018
    Unless you were drunk, I think it would be difficult to mistake Bowie for Mott.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• afterburnt
    Unless you are a **** it is difficult to deny the influence. "David Bowie had long been a fan of the band. After learning from Watts that they were about to split,[1] he persuaded them to stay together and offered them "Suffragette City" from his then yet-to-be-released Ziggy Stardust album.[1] They turned it down. Bowie also penned "All the Young Dudes" for them and it became their biggest hit."
  • motorhead43026
    edited April 2018
    Dude, I have been both a Mott and Bowie fan since 1969 early 70's for Mott. Yes there is an influence but neither sound at all alike to me, anyway. No need to go off the rails. You asked the question, don't like the answers?

Go lick your **** then.

BTW, Motts rendition of "Dudes" is superior to Bowies. Just happens to be one of my all time favorite songs, ever.

• decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    Now children, play nice !!!!!
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • afterburnt
    Dude, I have been both a Mott and Bowie fan since 1969 early 70's for Mott. Yes there is an influence but neither sound at all alike to me, anyway. No need to go off the rails. You asked the question, don't like the answers?

Go lick your **** then.

BTW, Motts rendition of "Dudes" is superior to Bowies. Just happens to be one of my all time favorite songs, ever.

Figures, you must be on drugs.
  • afterburnt
    Don't try to play innocent Richard.
  • motorhead43026
    afterburnt wrote: »

Go lick your **** then.

Figures, you must be on drugs.

Only on weekends, never during the week.

• Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Is there nothing original left in the world? :)

Plenty. You just won't hear it on any media that resembles mainstream. Pretty much all "new music" I hear on local radio, Apple Music and TV I can pick up the influence(s) they are trying to meld together into something new immediately.
    Listen to NPR, sometimes on Spotify, or go to small clubs in hotbed cities where artists think they could make a living (LA, New York, Nashville, Seattle, etc.) and you just might hear something you've never heard before.
  • motorhead43026
    NPR, I agree is a good place to discover new music.

• mhardy6647
    edited April 2018
    new*?
    try some Lucius, tUnE-yArDs, or DakhaBrakha

https://youtu.be/8Pk_2dVPjms

https://youtu.be/c8FML8QhcZo

https://youtu.be/hsNKSbTNd5I