Signature Series setup/crossover frequencies

I have a 5.1 setup that consists of the two S60's and an S35 for the front soundstage, and S10's for the rear, and a HTS-12 subwoofer. When I set this up in my receiver, should I have the S60's set for large or small? I've read that they do a great job with the lower frequencies and that you may not even need the sub... is that true, or will it still be better with the sub?

Also, if I set the S60's to large, do I need to define a crossover frequency? There is a place to put one in, but I didn't think it made sense on large. If I set them to small, what crossover frequency should I set for them? What about the S35 and S10s? Obviously they would have a higher cross over frequency, right?

Thanks for your help. I'm very new at this, so I don't know much about it what these different settings mean.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    What receiver are you using? How its menu reacts to you setting them to large will define how you must proceed. Can you set center and rears to small with a separate cut off point for them? If so try large in front and LFE to sub or both sub and fronts. If you set the fronts to say 60hz and cannot set the rears lower that would be no good.
  • mlurie31
    mlurie31 Posts: 8
    I have a Denon x3400h. I'm not home right now, so I can't check for sure, but I think I can set separate cutoff points for the center and rears. What does LFE to sub mean?
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    Small on everything. Crossover at 80hz.
    Nice speakers.

Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • pitdogg2
    dolbyd wrote: »
    Small on everything. Crossover at 80hz.
    Nice speakers.

yes for that model I agree with this ^^^^^
  • mlurie31
    mlurie31 Posts: 8
    Okay, I'll try it out. Is there a reason why it should be that?
  • pitdogg2
    edited April 2018
    mlurie31 wrote: »
    Okay, I'll try it out. Is there a reason why it should be that?

Makes the sub do the heavy work. Allows the receiver to not work as hard to reproduce those frequencies. there is smoother integration across all speakers.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    I agree with the others. I have the S60s and a sub is needed. While the 60s can go low, they will struggle to play the really low notes thereby muddying the mid range as well.

Having a sub will let the 60s shine with the midbass they are designed to handle, making everything clearer.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2