Yamaha (then and/or now)

2»

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Picking my favorite between the PX-3 and the PF-1000 would be tough, but I'd give a slight advantage to the PX-3 because I always liked the smooth tonal character of the linear tables.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited March 2018
    Viking64 wrote: »
    For Christmas 1988, my brother bought me a Yamaha CDX-510U. It was my first CD player ever.
    c66dan6xsp22.jpg
    My first CD player was a J.C. Penney MCS rack system around '86. My second system around '90 was a Yamaha rack system with an integrated amp, turntable, dual cassette, tuner, and that same CD player as yours!

Currently, I would like to try out one of their MusicCast preamp streamers, the WXC-50 or the WXA-50 with the IcePower amp. Its a nice little piece of kit for the money...as they say overseas.
    The WXA-50 is a new-concept audio component that goes beyond conventional audio thinking. It let you access a wide variety of audio content such as music from streaming services or stored on a smartphone, and enjoy high quality sound and style thanks to the ability to network with Yamaha’s exclusive MusicCast multi-room audio system. High functionality and performance bring you musical enjoyment just the way you want it.
    •Simply by adding to your speaker system, enjoy streaming music or a full MusicCast (multi-room audio) system
    •2.1-Channel powerful sound
    •--- 90 W per channel (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.9 % THD, 1-ch driven)
    •--- 70 W per channel (6 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.06 % THD, 2-ch driven)
    •Compatible with all types of music sources and services, such as streaming services
    •MusicCast App for easy operation. The app lets you control other MusicCast-compatible components
    •One push play — Pressing any button turns the unit on and initiates playback of the previously selected source
    •Retro modern and superior quality
    •48-bit digital volume control is far greater than the input signal bit resolution, achieving high quality control
    •Supports DSD 5.6 MHz and FLAC / WAV / AIFF 192 kHz / 24-bit for high resolution reproduction
    •Compact body only 214 mm (8-3/8") wide fits in any convenient location, can be used horizontally or vertically.
    •Easy installation - Suitable size for 1U rack with a width of 214 mm (8-3/8") and height of 42 mm (1-5/8") (without feet).
    •Low standby power consumption: 1.8 W

53DF9694DE4740C1B8DD4158384C650C_12073_740x579_03a7e5c217d498a2a6e4d44e7c0c7a38.jpg
    https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/wireless_streaming_amplifiers/wxc-50/index.html

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Mr_Hz
    Mr_Hz Posts: 176
    edited April 2018
    Back in the day... circa 1985 when I was stationed in 'West' Germany... I purchased my first pair of Polk SDA2's. I mated that pair of speakers to a brand new Yamaha M80 Amp, C80 pre, and T80 Tuner (and a Teac RX-999 Cassette player). Sold the C80 and T80 off, but refurbed the M80 via Legendary Amps in Florida... better than new! I've added a couple of newer amps since then (Bryston & Parasound) but still have my Yammy M80 and those SDA2's. Thinking about handing off both the Yamaha and SDA2's to my son.
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    CRS+'s (4.1 TL's) - Office
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • steveinaz
    Mr_Hz wrote: »
    Back in the day... circa 1985 when I was stationed in 'West' Germany...

I was there from 83-89, I was at Patch barracks (Vaihingen/Stuttgart), where were you?

Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Kingrat
    Kingrat Posts: 74
    Most of my equipment was Technics, and I still have a couple of their old cassette decks that still work fine and look new. About 1978, I started buying Yamaha. I had an R-9 receiver, an amp I can't remember the model of, and the PX-3 turntable, it was my last one. I really liked it a lot. I sold it for a ridiculously cheap price about 10 years ago, with 1 super expensive Grado cartridge and an AT spare tossed into the deal.
    My R-9 went to Australia, the shipping was more than it cost the buyer.
    Cable atheist: They're just trying to get your money like a TV preacher!
    Vinyl system: I'm long done with the snap, crackle, and pop.
  • Rich502
    Rich502 Posts: 146
    Tony M wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^ NICE.
    c9r0nz5tpgns.png

This is nice, always wanted it or the subsequent 2092 or 2095 around the time they came out. But I was in high school and had no dough.
  • steveinaz
    Yamaha's build quality was always stellar.
  • Kingrat
    Rich502 wrote: »
    Tony M wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^ NICE.
    c9r0nz5tpgns.png

This is nice, always wanted it or the subsequent 2092 or 2095 around the time they came out. But I was in high school and had no dough.

A friend of mine got a super clean "monster" Yamaha receiver on ebay recently. I don't know the model number, but the list price was $3200 on it, and he got it shipped for about 10% of that. It's a 2012 model and the only thing missing was the remote. I had one, so he was all set. It looks new and sounds great. Only thing we did was pull the cover and suck out a little cat hair.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited April 2018
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Yamaha's build quality was always stellar.

Yamaha fanboy that I am, I would never disagree :p but the innards of their modern "statement-level" equipment runs rings around the 1970s era hardware of more or less comparable "level", at least aesthetically.

I mean this in the most complimentary way possible -- 'cause the 1970s Yamaha equipment was pretty darned nice.

I mean, the CA-2010 ain't bad looking inside, but the AS-3000 is freaking gorgeous from a high-volume manufacturer.

io4qrri55vhn.png

kfrtnhoh36a9.png
  • Kingrat
    Very nice. I was on Ebay a couple of days ago and saw a really nice looking old Rotel amp that I want really badly, but I'm done for a while.. I can't seem to get the pics to post here..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rotel-RB-980BX-2-Channel-Power-Amplifier-MINT-Condition-Fully-Tested-Adjusted/222914697501?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited April 2018
    when all else fails, digital brute force* is your friend.
    seu5rrbbwx7j.png

No idea what this has to do with Yamaha, though...

• Kingrat
    No matter what I did, it refused to let me post it. Just a very nice looking unit. I didn't mean to derail the thread.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    I picked up one of these a number of years back. I have been a Yamaha fan for years.

Been running it in my theater and the thing is a beast. Was Yamaha's TOTL offering at the time. It has kept me off the AVR merry-go-round and I'm glad since I watch about 3 movies a year.

I currently have it configured with my McIntosh 2 channel system via theater bypass.

Yamaha RX-Z9 (These are pictures off the web)

5g81laoblh5i.jpg

xf2546og21b7.jpg

You can see it on the top shelf left.

vqaor3f10wzs.jpg

2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Picked up a 840 in 2016.

Just sitting on a shelf.
  • pongshi
    pongshi Posts: 376
    edited May 2018
    fbwosj2s4lim.jpg This is a pic of my CR-2020 which recently departed :(
    Being a vintage guy, I have owned a CR-1020, CR-2020, and CR 2040. I have found these to be very neutral with fantastic phono stages. Clarity and accuracy are their strong points. Highly recommended for Classical, acoustical, mellow jazz and music with vocal emphasis. Alas, I prefer the kick-**** factor and lower reach of Sansui G-Series receivers for Rock and Roll and R&B. The Yamaha is your prom. The Sansui is your Spring Break.
    Post edited by pongshi on
    Living Room
    Parasound Model 2250v2 amplifier
    Parasound P5 preamp
    Turntable 1 - Technics SL-1210Mk2 turntable with Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Turntable 2 - Dual 1229 turntable, Dual AS-12 45 RPM stacker, Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Schiit Mani Phono Preamp for Turntable 2
    Oppo UDP-205 CD/SACD USB and FLAC duties
    Technics RS-1500US reel to reel
    Polk SDA SRS (2nd Gen) fully modded
  • cvc
    cvc Posts: 65
    Viking64 wrote: »
    My first Yamaha component was an A-500 integrated amp that I bought in 1984. It was 80 watts and I mostly used it with various types of headphones for about 8 years.

0jb6qobjswme.jpg

For Christmas 1988, my brother bought me a Yamaha CDX-510U. It was my first CD player ever.

c66dan6xsp22.jpg

In 1992, I built my first home theater around a Yamaha DSP A-1000 Dolby Pro-Logic surround sound integrated amp. At that time, I also bought my Polk SDA SRS 2.3TL's for my mains, a Polk CS100 for my center, and a pair of 4.6's for my rears. I already had a pair of Polk 4.5's, so I used those for front effects.

cjjh32zwlejv.jpg

In 1999, I upgraded from Dolby Pro-Logic to Dolby Digital with a Yamaha DSP A-1 integrated amp. At that time, I added a Polk CS400 for my center channel and a pair of Polk RT55's for my rear channels. I also bought my first DVD player: A Yamaha DVD S700.

4cll4fw8boh0.jpg6363yu6l1q74.jpg

The 1999 Yamaha DVD player only lasted 5 years, but the DSP A-1 that I got at the same time is still working, although I eliminated it from my rig a few months ago. That's 18 years of daily use!

When I bought my DSP A-1000 in 1992, I gave my 1984 A-500 to a friend and he used it for another 5-7 years until it finally died. 13-15 years of steady use.

When I bought my DSP A-1 in 1999, I gave my 1992 DSP A-1000 to a friend and he used in his home theater up until 2 years ago, when he finally replaced it with a new Yamaha Aventage. That's 25 years of daily use!

I have been very happy with my Yamaha gear and the way it sounds paired with my various Polk speakers.

I'm currently still using my DSPA-1.. I'm curious what you upgraded to and if your new piece is much better sounding then the A-1..