What to do when your Skylan speaker stands are too short?

You make a stand riser. I talked with Noel at Skylan to see if I could just buy some longer posts for my 18 inch Skylan stands and he understandibaly explained that the labor of packing and shipping and parts costs for new posts does't make it cost effective.

I also am not married to my current listening chair and wanted some flexibility in stand height to keep the tweeters close to ear level.

I made the riser from 2 sheetsof 3/4 inch MDF glued together. I used a router to round the edges and use wood putty to seal the seam between the MDF sheets before painting. I found I still can't paint worth a crap and up close you can see brush marks, but all in all I was happy with the end result.

liutb3owdg0n.jpg
cck0syzy685m.jpg

Comments

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Nice, simple solution, and if I saw that first pic without knowing, I would just assume that's how they were made! :)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Or taller spikes :p
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Stretch'um
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Looks awesome!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    You matched the paint perfectly, nice!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    But... but... Where'd you find the black paint?
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    You need to spike the stands and would have gained the extra height by doing so.

Tip for painting, Krylon rattle can.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,497
    Looks great problem solved
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,619
    edited April 2018

F1nut wrote: »
    You need to spike the stands and would have gained the extra height by doing so.

Hard to tell from photo but the stands are already spiked (thick carpet and pad). I tried to find taller spikes but didn't find anything substantially taller - thus the risers.

What actually happened is that I started with spray paint which worked great on the top, but not so good on the edges. On the edges where I had applied wood sealer to cover the seam between boards, I did not cover the entire edge with sealer and the paint was absorbed by the MDF and required a second, and a third coat. Even when it dried overnight the edges still looked blotchy. I then decided to sand it all down and start fresh using the brush.

Live and learn, next time when working with MDF I will completely seal the edges prior to painting and go with the rattle can.
  • Polkitup2
    scubalab wrote: »
    But... but... Where'd you find the black paint?

Very difficult, I had to special order because they did not have the black I was looking for. They just had regular black. I was looking for extra black paint.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Nice job! How did you attach the risers to the stands?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Polkitup2
    I used the same thing between the riser and the stand as between the riser and speaker. 3M makes these non-staining things called bumpons which have an amazing hold on anything that sits on them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y1TMJZH/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Thanks for the info! I was wondering also if you primed the surfaces before shooting the color? A few coats of primer usually takes care of the absorptive rates of different materials.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Polkitup2
    The spray paint was a combo primo and paint in one can. As a matter of fact it also claimed to contain 2 cans worth of paint in one can. No wonder it didn't work well, too much going on in one can of paint!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Polkitup2 wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »

Hard to tell from photo but the stands are already spiked (thick carpet and pad). I tried to find taller spikes but didn't find anything substantially taller - thus the risers.

What actually happened is that I started with spray paint which worked great on the top, but not so good on the edges. On the edges where I had applied wood sealer to cover the seam between boards, I did not cover the entire edge with sealer and the paint was absorbed by the MDF and required a second, and a third coat. Even when it dried overnight the edges still looked blotchy. I then decided to sand it all down and start fresh using the brush.

Live and learn, next time when working with MDF I will completely seal the edges prior to painting and go with the rattle can.

For future reference, take a look at Adona Multi-Element cones, which are 2.5" tall.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Polkitup2
    Thanks for the tip, I will check those out.