I was reading.

gwh
gwh Posts: 1,451
Yes it gave me a headache but I found something interesting.

"A similar situation exists with home theater setups where the customer THINKS that the front speakers are "full range". Even so, the BEST approach is to seal the ports, operate the 5 channels as "small", crossover at 80 (or even a bit higher, but NEVER lower) and correct the timing issues inherent in all modern subs by setting (in the receiver or processor's setup menu) ALL the distances THE SAME, and to a small number such as 7 feet; then set the sub to 12 feet MORE (i.e. 19 feet) and THEN use the variable phase control on the sub to fine tune the relationship at the 80 Hz crossover point. Some better speaker companies that make "large" speakers (such as B&W) are aware of this port issue and supply port plugs just for this purpose. Kudos to them.

People who have fought with their systems for weeks or years finally email and call me to tell me that for the first time they are finally satisfied — in fact thrilled — with the incredible integration of their JL Audio subs."

That info came from here.

http://www.soundoctor.com/whitepapers/subs.htm

I have not played around with the ypao much but I noticed it was trying to set the distance of my sub much further away than what it actually was is it trying to adjust the timing between the mains and subs by doing this?

HT:
Martin Logan Motion 40
Martin Logan Motion 50XT
Emotiva Airmotiv E2
SVS SB16 Ultra
Def Tech Reference Sub
Yamaha RX-A3070

Signal Cable speaker wires & interconnects.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    There's no reason to seal the ports, just set the speakers to small unless you are using a separate power amp.

As a side note, sealing the ports can cause damage to speakers and should never be done unless approved by the manufacturer.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gwh
    gwh Posts: 1,451
    I didn't plug any ports I did set the levels manually, all the distances to 7 sub to 19 crossover at 90, been playing with the phase I have it around 90 now. Localization of the sub in my case has been drastically reduced and the quality of the bass has increased. Like anything new you need to spend a few days with it before you make a final judgment so I'll leave it like that for a while.
    You old dogs probably know about all this, for the newbs try it out and see what you think.
    HT:
    Martin Logan Motion 40
    Martin Logan Motion 50XT
    Emotiva Airmotiv E2
    SVS SB16 Ultra
    Def Tech Reference Sub
    Yamaha RX-A3070

Signal Cable speaker wires & interconnects.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I'd hate to set my RT3000p's to small. I do know a nice quality system of small satellites and quality Sub or two can sound FANTASTIC too.

Either or, I say. Both are fine. Music or Home Theater. I've heard great sound in many ways over the years.

But I haven't heard JL Audio Home Subs yet. Just the reviews and our forums' home installer's rave reviews of his installations on one of his jobs. If I had JL subs in the walls, I'd probably want in-wall speakers all the way. Ceiling too. That would be cool.

Awesome sound and not a speaker in site on the floor or the walls. Just some inconspicuous grills. Maybe one day! B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • On a side note about port plugs. I have my Monitor Audio RS8 towers connected to my main 2 channel system. They are away from the wall, so according to MA, I don't need to use the port plugs.

A few months ago, I was using them in another system and they were just about up against the wall. The MA manual states that I should use the rear port plugs in this case, so I did. They're just foam cylinders, but apparently not big enough. Every time I went to use the speakers with the plugs, I had to pick them off of the floor and re-insert them. They kept getting blown out the back. Every time...
    Main System:
    Proton AA-1150 ~ Yamaha C-4 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Sennheiser HD600 ~ Monitor Audio Silver RS8 & FB210 ~ Martin Logan Dynamo ~ Teac R-919X ~ Marantz CD5003 ~ Squeezebox Classic ~ Music Hall dac25.2 ~ Dual 1229/Acutex M312 III STR ~ Music Hall mmf-5.1/Goldring 1012GX ~ Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0

Home Theater:
    Vizio V585-H11 ~ Yamaha RX-V800 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Marantz DV6001 ~ EPI M90 ~ Polk Audio RT35i ~ CS400i ~ (2) Polk Audio PSW450

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    Some years back (1990s), at the height of the single-driver loudspeaker craze (yes, there was one, at least in certain circles), there was a fairly popular DIY/kit design built around a 12 inch, "extended range" twincone musical instrument driver made by Eminence called the Beta 12LT(A). The designer/builder was a fellow (now deceased) called John Wyckoff and the loudspeaker was called the Hammer Dynamics Super 12.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0600/super12.htm
    http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/manufacture/johnwyckoff.htm

a1dfmz7fqeto.png

Now, I told you all of this for a reason :) The enclosure was a large vented box.
    Wyckoff recommended using styrofoam peanuts as internal damping material for the enclosures. A hifi colleague (J. Melhuish, he of the then-popular "Full-Range Driver " site and forum) built a pair and we had a good listen to them one day.

It was amusing to see certain bass notes cause a few peanuts to flutter out of the reflex port.

:|

I really thought that story was gonna come out better when I started typing it than it actually did! :p

PS The Eminence Beta 12LTA is still available and still isn't a bad deal for a high-ish sensitivity, fairly wide-band driver. Just sayin'.

https://www.parts-express.com/eminence-beta-12lta-12-full-range-pa-driver--290-409

9bvsy17ckrec.png
    37deqz0xdnz5.png

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    When I bought those Cerwin Vegas last fall and hooked them up, one spit out a few insulation batting bits that a mouse had chewed on and left in the bottom of one speaker. Quite the site to see. It's funny in a way. :D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I really thought that story was gonna come out better when I started typing it than it actually did! :p
    You were right. I wasn't amused at all until I got to this sentence. :D
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    Lord knows I try...