ok tinker toys?

Comments

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    People here question power cords and this guy has “spacial sextets”. :open_mouth:
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    I didn’t know the Pope was an audiophile! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Just think of the odd ball room interactions! Didn't see much in the way of treatment and IIRC there's a kick out on the one side of the room for a closet on the other side?

Ok, yeah it's expensive, and might even sound good, but I'm betting dollars to doughnuts the room and placement aren't helping one bit.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited April 2018
    wasn't "ok tinker toys" the working title for the follow-up to one of Radiohead's more famous albums?

:#
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    It is it closer to Ozzy's Mr. Tinkertrain?
  • mhardy6647
    FestYboy wrote: »
    It is it closer to Ozzy's Mr. Tinkertrain?

https://youtu.be/BR2RVaXKQiE
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    edited April 2018
    That dude should try to smile, like me! :#

Maybe it's those ugly speakers?

Sedating effects of that depressing sweater?
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • afterburnt
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    People here question power cords and this guy has “spacial sextets”. :open_mouth:

Wonder if that's audiophile twine on those cables?
  • afterburnt
    I want a "housafire"
  • afterburnt
    Ten pressings of one LP? I am gonna cut my losses and buy a plane.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited April 2018
    This should be a warning to everyone about the dark side of being an audiophile. Even with a million dollar system, if you have unlimited resources you can never stop.

His speakers cost hundreds of thousands but they are not good enough, He has to modify the base with diamond encrusted mpingo disks. His room is not optimal so he put in many thousands of dollars (more than my whole system costs) in little wood hockey pucks to create a "cone of silence".

At what point would it be cheaper to just buy another house? Sometimes you just need to relax and enjoy the music.
  • afterburnt
    @delkal I was done until I was told by these guys I need a sub. Now I gots to know.

You know that guy with the diamond hockey pucks is only 32 years old. That should be a warning to all.
  • mhardy6647
    afterburnt wrote: »
    You know that guy with the diamond hockey pucks is only 32 years old. That should be a warning to all.

Wasn't that a song by Paul Simon?

https://youtu.be/uf4YyXVoWeA

• mhardy6647
    jeez, next thing you know, I'll be buying a fleet of pugs or something...
  • mikeyb128

And he says buy one tape instead, which seems to imply a tape is hundreds of dollars!

Those little hockey bucks are almost 5 grand.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited April 2018

Is that just the cost of the wood disks or did you include the price of the hockey puck stands.

I am sure the stands are specially engineered with a complementary wood that will soak up even more of the "Sympathetic Resonance". My guess they are AT LEAST $500 per stand (but at this point I wouldn't be shocked if they were MUCH higher).
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2018

And he says buy one tape instead, which seems to imply a tape is hundreds of dollars!

The current crop of audiophile prerecorded tapes are indeed several hundred dollars a pop, if that is what is being referenced.

http://tapeproject.com/catalog/

98olmhn8o4id.png

$450.00

http://store.acousticsounds.com/s/462?x=y&banner_id=317

ug1igqpn8f2e.png

$450.00

Both of these tape reproduction enterprises supply their wares as 15 ips, half-track real-time duplications on 10-1/2 inch reels of 1/4" tape. Your RT-707* cannot help you now, as Darth Vadar might say.

How many times does an audiophile play an album before he considers it worn out?
  • mikeyb128
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

The current crop of audiophile prerecorded tapes are indeed several hundred dollars a pop, if that is what is being referenced.

http://tapeproject.com/catalog/

98olmhn8o4id.png

$450.00

http://store.acousticsounds.com/s/462?x=y&banner_id=317

ug1igqpn8f2e.png

$450.00

Both of these tape reproduction enterprises supply their wares as 15 ips, half-track real-time duplications on 10-1/2 inch reels of 1/4" tape. Your RT-707* cannot help you now, as Darth Vadar might say.

Wow, that was my take on it. 10 albums at about 40 bucks a pop.

Those decks are really cool though. Would love to hear one.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• mhardy6647
    couple of half-track, high speed decks here. Not the upper echelon, but they're not bad.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    POS VTI rack detected.
  • afterburnt
    Clipdat wrote: »
    POS VTI rack detected.

Is he casting diamonds before crummy racks?
  • Clipdat
    I don't know wtf he's doing. I couldn't make it through the video. I had to stop when he started touching/fiddling with the drivers of the speakers when he was talking about them.

Is it so hard not to physically touch and fondle something when you're describing it? Doesn't he know that if you touch your speaker's drivers, the oils on your skin will eventually degrade the material over time? What a foolish fool.
    POS VTI rack detected.

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    jeez, next thing you know, I'll be buying a fleet of pugs or something...

a3ecjb97xi9u.jpg
  • mikeyb128
    I don't know wtf he's doing. I couldn't make it through the video. I had to stop when he started touching/fiddling with the drivers of the speakers when he was talking about them.

Is it so hard not to physically touch and fondle something when you're describing it? Doesn't he know that if you touch your speaker's drivers, the oils on your skin will eventually degrade the material over time? What a foolish fool.
    POS VTI rack detected.

I like to Fondle. You should try it sometime.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Clipdat
    I did try it once, but she ended up pressing charges.
    I like to Fondle. You should try it sometime.

• afterburnt

POS VTI rack detected.

That didn't bug me as much as him fidgeting with the knobs. I wonder if he is on drugs?
  • Clipdat
    Music is his drug!
    That didn't bug me as much as him fidgeting with the knobs. I wonder if he is on drugs?

• That was painful. His inability to speak plainly was very uncomfortable. Why all the flowery **** smoke blowing nonsense? It’s his money. He can spend it any way, and on anything he wants. He just comes across as a huckster to me.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    What I remember about this video after watching it last fall was the way the guy pronounced "woofer". I had never heard it that way my entire life. WTF?