LSiM703 and LSiM702F/X which to use for surround vs rear surround

So I'm going to use a part of LSiM702F/X and LSim703's for surround vs rear surround in a 7.1.4 setup. I keep going back and forth on if I should use the LSiM702F/X as the surround or rear surround speakers. At first I thought about putting the LSiM702F/X slightly ahead of main listening position with the tweeter pointing to the listening position. Then I thought about using them as the rears mounted on the rear wall with the tweeters pointing into the room towards the main listening position.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    702 for sides
    703 rears
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited March 2018
    Looking at the layout suggestions and the fact that Dolby does not recommend Dipole speakers for ATMOS....I think you are good either way...meaning both will work in either position. So, given that the sides should be on axis with this listener maybe use the 703s on the sides. Then put the 702s in the rear at the proper distance apart to get the desired projection angle of the Sonic engine drivers to listening location as in the Polk diagram.

hxnxqzaxyaiu.png
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Here's a pic of the room as well.

2shx275xw9ox.jpg
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,310
    The real show starts when you step on those wire cutters in the dark and stub your toe on the front sound stage ladder.
    I disabled signatures.
  • WLDock
    Yep, just move the 703 to the sides then put the 702s on the rear walls.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • How high would you guys mount the 702s on the rear wall? The 703's are on 36 inch stands. Considering I'm going to do 4 in ceiling atmos speakers should I keep the 702's about the same level as the 703's?
  • whostorm05
    whostorm05 Posts: 7
    edited April 2018
    f8m9i9idjp4e.jpg
    Here's a pic of the front sound stage minus the ladder. lol I haven't decided on final placement of the sub yet.
  • WLDock
    Dolby lays it all out...

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dolby-atmos-speaker-setup/7-1-4-setups.html

"You'll get the best sound when the front and surround speakers are at or slightly above your ear level when you're seated. Wall-mounted surrounds can be higher, but no speakers—especially Dolby Atmos enabled modules—should be higher than half the height of your wall.

The angles shown in all diagrams represent the ideal placement range relative to your listening position.

Ceiling Height and Materials

The ideal ceiling height is between 7.5 and 12 feet, and the maximum recommended height is 14 feet. The ceiling should be flat and made from an acoustically reflective material, such as drywall or plaster."

• WLDock wrote: »
    Dolby lays it all out...

Ceiling Height and Materials

The ideal ceiling height is between 7.5 and 12 feet, and the maximum recommended height is 14 feet. The ceiling should be flat and made from an acoustically reflective material, such as drywall or plaster."[/i]

I wonder if that part is only relevant to upward firing atmos speaker modules? If the speaker is ceiling mounted why would it matter if the ceiling is acoustically reflective?

My ceiling is 11.5 feet high so that shouldn't be an issue either way.
  • pawelmwo
    pawelmwo Posts: 137
    WLDock wrote: »
    Looking at the layout suggestions and the fact that Dolby does not recommend Dipole speakers for ATMOS....I think you are good either way...meaning both will work in either position. So, given that the sides should be on axis with this listener maybe use the 703s on the sides. Then put the 702s in the rear at the proper distance apart to get the desired projection angle of the Sonic engine drivers to listening location as in the Polk diagram.

Not to derail the thread but noticed you had the Artison Portrait LRS. Are you happy with these? I've been shopping around for some rears in a 5.1 setup and these would blend in with the grey wall vs the 702's much smaller profile and wife approved. Doesnt seem like you can buy these anymore but they look fantastic! Just picked up a 705 and 706c and shopping around for the rest.

• WLDock
    edited January 2019
    These Portrait LRS speakers were $500 retail and are small good looking speakers. That however only tells part of the story. They have a large diffused uncolored sound and are a great option for those wanting unobtrusive wall mount speakers. They use quality Vifa drivers are worth the purchase if a used set pops up. I paid about $90-$100 for my set used some years ago. They worked great with LSiM703/706C, Chane, Polk RT, Boston Acoustics speakers I've had since I've had over the years.

It looks like Crutchfield still have the in-wall versions available but they are $699.99!