Vintage Monitor and SDA Speaker Deals

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Sure looks like it to me. :o Dang, that's a GREAT price!!! B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Is that $115 for both pairs?

It appears so, and not even 3 hours from me... If I could, I would.
  • 250GTLusso
    250GTLusso Posts: 163
    @Jaybeez , the Lake Forest SDA 2 recon mission is complete.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/d/polk-audio-speakers-sda-2/6490365747.html

Here is my assessment:

Model: SDA 2B
    Wood: Oak veneer
    SN: L SDA 2 22984
    SN: R SDA 2 22284
    IC: Pin/Blade (Missing)

Appearance:
    Top Plank:
    -
    Mild water stains, some delaminating veneer on edge strip
    Bottom Plank:
    -
    Missing on both speakers
    Cabinet Front:
    -
    4 small chips on the right speaker at right side front edge (appears to be due to staples?)
    Cabinet Sides:
    -
    Glue residue, but no damage to vinyl (other than 4 small chips noted above)
    Cabinet Back:
    -
    Applique present on both speakers, small tear on right applique, small tear in vinyl on right speaker (resulting from same contact that damaged the applique)
    Cabinet Bottoms:
    -
    Glue residue, holes from staples, but remarkably no damage to vinyl due to removal of bottom planks.
    Grills:
    -
    One small tear in grill cloth, no damage to baffle (wood), loose Polk Audio badges on both speakers (i.e. easy to spin, but still retained by spring clips)

Functional Assessment:
    Cabinet:
    - PR push test: PASSED (3+sec MW recovery time)
    - Cabinet Tap Test: Solid, no evidence of separation at any of the exterior structural joints, no evidence of water damage.
    - Treelocks: All present, and retain the grill firmly
    Drivers:
    - SL2000: Functional, no scratchiness, no damage to the domes
    - MW6503 (Stereo Driver): Functional, Butyl rubber surrounds very supple with no tears, Passed VC push test (no rubbing)
    - MW6511(SDA Driver): Butyl rubber surrounds very supple with no tears, Passed VC push test (no rubbing), no IC so functionality is unknown.
    - SW121 (PR): Butyl rubber surrounds very supple with no tears

Interesting Observation:
    - It does not appear as though any of the drivers have ever been removed based on the following: There is brown paint in the exact same place (4 O'clock) on each of the MW6503s, MW6511s, and SW121s, and the screw heads have not been touched since that paint was applied. Now I have never seen this paint on a Polk speaker before. Has anyone else seen this before? Could this possibly be some form of anti tamper indication?

The Seller:
    - I was greeted by the Seller's brother, and very nice man. He was representing them for his brother who is stationed in Germany (F/A-18 pilot).

The Offer:
    - I told the Seller's brother that the speakers appeared to be functionally sound, however without the IC cable I could not assess the MW6511s and the condition of the SDA circuit. The speakers obviously had some significant cosmetic issues that would need to be addressed, and that I could not offer him $200 based on the cosmetic condition alone. I asked him to let his brother know that I was interested in them, but could only offer $100 for the pair at this time. The brother said that he would present the offer to his brother within the next day and let me know.

Photos:
    - Here are some better photos of the speakers in question (the photos in the CL ad left a lot to be desired)

5b0d81oeluds.jpg

9hrwe6crvhpm.jpg

82l0z8bcnhio.jpg

j1nb4667advv.jpg

6n9y19ihxwr5.jpg

vglq0z0kia7d.jpg

t6mlnmltp24x.jpg

lbyy5p5bszcb.jpg

4r3kk9zkpy8u.jpg

0g342878m5mu.jpg

zdq722yb0d5c.jpg

4ql3459s7sc6.jpg

fuhtr4j566gz.jpg

2sex8gujyk2q.jpg

9zz4g9ne7h1o.jpg

ngoln9ibpvu6.jpg

5or6df3fb8z8.jpg

upjjr7mielrx.jpg

oxk3bvy6q8ay.jpg

f4gvsahzyq3p.jpg

7fcq3el14f7s.jpg

mud9l3kymdfo.jpg

641qqp203yqr.jpg

w8q0yjbbbeq1.jpg

u9xkwpwrilwy.jpg

Watch this space!
    HT
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (Front), Adcom GFA-585 Amp (Side), Adcom GFA-555 Amp (Rear), Adcom ACE-515, Pioneer CLD-3070 Laserdisc, Sony CDP-605esD, Sony BluRay BDP BX59, Samsung 50" Plasma, Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL Front (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Side (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Rear (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom ACE-515, Sony CDP-705esD, Magnum Dynalab FT-101A Etude, Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS 2 (Walnut), STAX SR34 Electret Earspeaker System.
    2 Channel (Office)
    Adcom GFP-555 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-555 Amp, Sony CDP-605esD, Adcom GFT-555 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 1C (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Garage)
    Hafler DH-110 Pre-amp, Hafler DH-220 Amp, Sony CDP-505esD, Hafler DH-330 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 2B (Walnut).
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    FestYboy wrote: »

Dayum... Run don't walk. They are oak vinyl, not birch though...
  • kmeek
    kmeek Posts: 225
    @250GTLusso, Dude you rock! You should do paid gigs doing recon!! Nice write up with pictures. :)
  • 250GTLusso
    250GTLusso Posts: 163
    @kmeek , Thanks! Always willing to help out a fellow CP member.
    HT
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (Front), Adcom GFA-585 Amp (Side), Adcom GFA-555 Amp (Rear), Adcom ACE-515, Pioneer CLD-3070 Laserdisc, Sony CDP-605esD, Sony BluRay BDP BX59, Samsung 50" Plasma, Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL Front (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Side (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Rear (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom ACE-515, Sony CDP-705esD, Magnum Dynalab FT-101A Etude, Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS 2 (Walnut), STAX SR34 Electret Earspeaker System.
    2 Channel (Office)
    Adcom GFP-555 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-555 Amp, Sony CDP-605esD, Adcom GFT-555 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 1C (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Garage)
    Hafler DH-110 Pre-amp, Hafler DH-220 Amp, Sony CDP-505esD, Hafler DH-330 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 2B (Walnut).
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    250GTLusso wrote: »
    @kmeek , Thanks! Always willing to help out a fellow CP member.

WAY beyond thorough! Thanks for checking them out for me. I knew they'd be a project, but everything looks pretty do-able, and I've seen posts on most of the cosmetic stuff here on the forum.

Thinking the sides might have come loose and someone might have tried to staple them.

Interested to hear back on the offer.

Again, much appreciated and I do owe you a beer or whatever for your effort!
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Jaybeez wrote: »

A beer? That report was worth a fifth of 18-year-old single-malt scotch. :p
  • Jaybeez
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Jaybeez wrote: »

A beer? That report was worth a fifth of 18-year-old single-malt scotch. :p

I could do that too / instead!
  • Viking64
    I see a new strategy for seeking-out potential future speaker purchases. :p
  • kmeek
    edited March 2018

What? Beer and/or scotch before making purchase decisions on speakers we all love????
    OR
    Having someone scout for speakers who knows what their looking at finding you the diamonds and/or diamonds in the rough?

Either on is brilliant! Count me in!!! :D
  • Jaybeez
    kmeek wrote: »

What? Beer and/or scotch before making purchase decisions on speakers we all love????
    OR
    Having someone scout for speakers who knows what their looking at finding you the diamonds and/or diamonds in the rough?

Either on is brilliant! Count me in!!! :D

The latter more sensible. The former more fun!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Clipdat wrote: »
    It's only hording if there's no longer walkways, and you have piles of stuff that could topple over and kill you at any moment.

Tony is still at the respectable "collector" level. :)
    verb wrote: »
    Reminds me of my workshop (aka storage room) in the basement. They make reality shows about us Tony! :smile:

Collectors unite!!! I hope I am still in the respectable range... Lol! Here is some of my projects I still need to get to......

h4uzw7lu7g90.jpg

Whomever got those SR2's for a hundred got a smoking deal. Thought my set for $200 was good. Ohio why are you so far away???? :)

Uh... You need help. You should should start by selling me the Roy Rodgers toy lantern. That would clear up enough space!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    @kmeek what's in the Monoprice box?
  • kmeek
    edited March 2018
    @kmeek what's in the Monoprice box?

What's not in the Monoprice box is the better question....

And there are multiple boxes!!! (you just see one)

I don't know about you guys but their next day shipping service is almost as rediculous as Amazons. Instant gratification baby!!!! :D
  • Viking64
    I just traded my 2.3TL's for some Monoprice SDA's because they have a snazzy wireless interconnect cable and an Alexa-powered adjustable crossover. B)
  • kmeek
    I just traded my 2.3TL's for some Monoprice SDA's because they have a snazzy wireless interconnect cable and an Alexa-powered adjustable crossover. B)

And are they the size of the Bose cubes?

That my friend is a girlfriend/wife requested speaker upgrade!! :D
  • Viking64

HAHAHAHA My ex-wife had about as much interest in audio as I do in knitting. My girlfriend lives about 3000 miles away and has a stereo worth more than most people's houses, yet she is almost never home to enjoy it. She likes it because it was "expensive and pretty". HAHAHA

My new Monoprice SDA's are about the size of a box of POP-Tarts. The sound field is 40 feet wide, 10 feet high, and deeper than Junior Sample's overall pockets. :o
  • kmeek
    edited March 2018
    @Viking64, I don't know about you but I am sure a lot of us can attribute getting some of our smoking deals on speakers where the initial conversation with the seller starts with something like this.....

"I love these speakers but my (insert significant other here) says they are (Insert Adjective here: too big, too tall, too loud, too ugly....) and need to get rid of them".

I know as a single guy I would personally like to thank all of those significant others that convinced their significant other to sell the speakers we now lovingly have in our collections..... B)
  • Clipdat
    edited March 2018
    Picture of girlfriend's rack?
    HAHAHAHA My ex-wife had about as much interest in audio as I do in knitting. My girlfriend lives about 3000 miles away and has a stereo worth more than most people's houses, yet she is almost never home to enjoy it. She likes it because it was "expensive and pretty". HAHAHA

• Viking64
    @Viking64, I don't know about you but I am sure a lot of us can attribute getting some of our smoking deals on speakers where the initial conversation with the seller starts with something like this.....

"I love these speakers but my (insert significant other here) says they are (Insert Adjective here: too big, too tall, too loud, too ugly....) and need to get rid of them".

I know as a single guy I would personally like to thank all of those significant others that convinced their significant other to sell the speakers we now lovingly have in our collections..... B)
    LOL

I've never bought or sold any audio gear privately, except for a few items from members here. The whole time I was married, my "big boys" sat in storage. Those speakers lasted me 9 times as long as my marriage did, and I just got finished doing a full mod with Vr3 crossovers. So thankfully I didn't sell them to make 3 years of misery slightly less....miserable. :p
  • Viking64
    Picture of girlfriend's rack?

I actually mentioned it a few months back, saying it was a 10K rack. A 10K AUDIO rack. And I wasn't kidding. Still, that comment got deleted!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA
  • Clipdat
    But seriously, I want to see her
    audio
    rack.
    I actually mentioned it a few months back, saying it was a 10K rack. A 10K AUDIO rack. And I wasn't kidding. Still, that comment got deleted!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited March 2018

I have a Monoprice tube amp that'll run those SDA's real good! :smiley:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb

My new Monoprice SDA's are about the size of a box of POP-Tarts. The sound field is 40 feet wide, 10 feet high, and deeper than Junior Sample's overall pockets. :o

You're divorced? I'm shocked! :smiley:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Clipdat
    But his current girlfriend has a $10k rack. So I'd say he upgraded.

• verb
    But his current girlfriend has a $10k rack. So I'd say he upgraded.

Yes but she's 3000 miles away. Must be a pretty big rack! :smiley: