Keep the 10A’s or get SDA 2A

So I have some monitor 10a’s but there are some sda 2a near me for 300. Should I keep the 10s or sell and get the sda.

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Get the SDA and keep both!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    300.00 might be a little high.. IMO
  • the person selling them said they would go down to 225. I have a guy interested in my m10 for 250 wich would be a 180 profit

• pitdogg2
    225.00 is about right. I'd still keep the 10's
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Get the SDAs and compare. Take your time. Then, you can sell the ones less favored. You may not like how the SDAs perform, they aren't universally favored. Also, SDAs don't work well in all rooms. Are you (pretty) sure they will fit well in your listening area?

Other considerations: SDAs and vintage Monitor series Polks sound their best after they've been updated/modded. Monitor 10As and SDA-2As are both over 30 years old and would benefit greatly with a refresh. Are you planning on doing this to whichever speakers you keep? Some models - usually depending on what crossover components they have - are much more expensive to complete than others are. Do you have a clean and powerful common ground amp? This is a must for SDAs to sound their best.

Then, if you're like most around this place, you'll find some lame excuse for keeping both pairs and will start your descent down the ol' rabbit hole. Take it from me, I have SDA-1Cs, Monitor 7s, Monitor 10Bs, Monitor 5Jr+s, etc., etc. around this joint and I enjoy them all! Aaaahhhhh hahaha....So Back Off!!!
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Go get em and get some more! Lots of hoarders, ahem collectors here on CP. Besides it’s loads of fun swapping pieces out and comparing. :smiley:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • pitdogg2
    Take it from me. SDA 2a is one of those that are very pricey to rebuild the crossover. They're are some large value caps in there. Even in the cheap cap camp they're pricey. They are two board SDA's and you must get creative to fit it. They certainly shine after though.
  • You could also search around a bit for a pair of SDA 2Bs. You might pay a little more up front, but you will save on the crossover mods. Plus they are a little more amp friendly good luck and enjoy the ride.
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• Nhpenn
    Nhpenn Posts: 56
    Sell the monitor 10s, buy the SDAs, if you don't like the SDAs sell them, buy new monitor 10s
  • pitdogg2
    Nhpenn wrote: »
    Sell the monitor 10s, buy the SDAs, if you don't like the SDAs sell them, buy new monitor 10s

That's just silly talk....
  • helipilotdoug
    helipilotdoug Posts: 1,229
    I have both 10As and 2As. Because they are SDAs, the 2As have a much wider soundstage, and sound pretty good, but with the stock tweeters can give you listener fatigue. Upgrading the OEM SL2000 tweeters to the newer RDO194 helps with this. As posted above, the crossover rebuild can get expensive. The 10A's have the old Peerless tweeters, and I play mine all day long in the shop with no fatigue at all. Much better high frequency sound than the 2As. Both have good mid and bass, but when it comes to choosing between the two, I'd opt for the 10As. Just my 2 pennies worth....
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Keep those 10's...ones in good enough shape to rehab are getting scarce...
  • MER71
    MER71 Posts: 5
    I think I would keep them both. Unless money is tight. I have my SDA 1A in my main, 10a in my daughter's room and 10b just sitting here.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    Ahh just let yer earzzz decide :)
    Randy/Maine
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    So @Thataxeguy what did you decide?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • ThomasD
    ThomasD Posts: 260
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    So @Thataxeguy what did you decide?

^^^^^^^
    I was following this thread and wondering the same. Really like my original 2a's (listening to Robert Cray on them as I type) and surprisingly haven't noticed the 'harsh tweeter' or listening fatigue that I noticed right away with my original M7c's. Only powering the 2a's with a Rega Brio at the moment. Waiting for my Carver M200t, C2 & TX2 to get back from the Carver Salon. But the little Brio powers the 2a's surprisingly well @ only 50wpc, though the volume knob is usually at 10 or 11 where the M200t hardly ever goes beyond the 8 position. The M7's X/O's are with @westmassguy getting the TL treatment right now. Will be sending the 2a X/O's (all 4 of them) in for a similar TL treatment when the 7's get back. And I'm looking at getting a pair of 10b's so was very interested on @Thataxeguy take on the two choices. I find the SDA's very position sensitive, with a small, finite sweet spot. Where my 7's are much more room position friendly which is what I would think the 10's would be.
    Carver M4.0t, M1.0t, M200t, TX2, C1, C2, Marantz 2230, 2010, 4070, 1030, APPJ 2013, Rega Brio, Marantz Imperial 7's, Klipsch Heresy III, Quartets, KG4's, KG1's, 'The Sixes', R-12SW, Polk SDA 2a's, Monitor 7cTL's, SDA CRS's, 4a's, Zu Audio Dirty Weekends, Pro-ject Acryl TT, Cambridge 851N, 351C, Panamax 5300PM
  • Thataxeguy
    Thataxeguy Posts: 14
    Well I decided the 10A’s aren’t going anywhere but the 2A’s are still for sale, I just don’t have the money to buy them if they were less I would. I think @Nhpenn should buy them to go with his rta’s
  • Nhpenn
    Nhpenn Posts: 56
    edited July 2018
    Not with, replace
    Post edited by Nhpenn on
  • Thataxeguy
    Thataxeguy Posts: 14
    I think those (your) RTA’s have been ran through there paces and need some work

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    So all this & you didnt buy them. Shame on U :) kickn ur own bu tt later
    Randy/Maine