WTB - Power Amp

I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive solid state amp. Leaning towards 2-channels, but if there is a good deal on a 3-channel that would work.

I'll probably need to stay in the couple/few hundred dollar range.

If anyone has something they're looking to get rid of please let me know!
Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, McCormack DNA-HT5, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk LSiM702, SVS SB16-Ultra

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    And you are where?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    I have a Superphon DM 220 that is sitting in my garage wondering if I will get around to building a pair of subwoofers for it to play again. The answer is probably not. I don’t have enough posts here to list it in the for sale section. So I’m going to put it on Agon sometime soon. This is the company started by Stan Warren when he left PS Audio. I would likely list it in the range you are interested in. 125/200 wpc at 8/4 ohms. You might also look at some used Adcom amps.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    It's high time you ditch the generic avatar thing.
  • maxward
    Probably. But I’m somewhat illiterate when it comes to that stuff. Plus I’m not sure what “thing” should replace it. Maybe a picture of Bill Frisell playing.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    How does an Adcom 5503 - 3 channel amp sound?
    200 W into 8 ohms .... 350 W in to 4
    57 pound behemoth
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    FWIW - I have an amp I have struggled parting with - for many years it ran my SDA's 2A's flawlessly, and I enjoyed it immensely, in fact, for years I considered it the perfect amp. 100wpc, and stoutly built, (but not necessarily pretty), it's a relatively rare. SS but with what I would now call a warmish tube nature, and oodles of reserve power.

Audire Model One. They were designed by a gentleman (Julius Siksnius) who worked on the NASA Apollo communication systems from my understanding. I spoke to him on the phone after I bought the amp, a real gem of a gent who clearly had a love not just for his designs, but audio in general. Its originally 70's era, but was refreshed late 90's - early 2000's. Julius mentioned it was among the first they produced when I spoke to him.

2 channels, 100w, this particular one has speaker binding posts as well as 1/4" jacks. You must use 3' cables or less for your RCA component connections.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• dr1978
    dr1978 Posts: 424
    Thanks guys, but I just picked up a Parasound HCA 1200 yesterday.
    Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, McCormack DNA-HT5, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk LSiM702, SVS SB16-Ultra
  • maxward
    There you go. Good choice.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Side note @dr1978 - Hopslam = mmmmmmm
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• dr1978
    I used to live in Michigan, so I was spoiled. Not that there was much available when they first started making it, but at least I could pick up a couple 6-packs and knew of a couple places that had it on tap. Then when I moved to Virginia I had at least an hour drive to get anything, and even that was no guarantee.

Luckily my local craft beer shop has been working their Bells connections and actually got a decent delivery this year (including a mini-keg that I snagged). I know a lot of people think it's over hyped, and it is, but it's my first beer love so I'll always represent.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    I don't drink alcohol anymore, but Bells Two Hearted Ale was my all time favorite beer ever. :)
    dr1978 wrote: »
    I used to live in Michigan, so I was spoiled. Not that there was much available when they first started making it, but at least I could pick up a couple 6-packs and knew of a couple places that had it on tap. Then when I moved to Virginia I had at least an hour drive to get anything, and even that was no guarantee.

Luckily my local craft beer shop has been working their Bells connections and actually got a decent delivery this year (including a mini-keg that I snagged). I know a lot of people think it's over hyped, and it is, but it's my first beer love so I'll always represent.

• dr1978
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I don't drink alcohol anymore, but Bells Two Hearted Ale was my all time favorite beer ever. :)
    dr1978 wrote: »

Two Hearted is actually why our local guy secured his Hopslam. He also has a burger joint that serves beer, and he keeps Two Hearted on tap all the time. So basically they hooked him up for being a good customer. It's definitely nice being able to get a fresh Two Hearted whenever I want!
  • audioluvr
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I don't drink alcohol anymore

Not recommended. This shortens your lifespan just like traffic jams and ex-wives... So I'm told. :D
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • dr1978
    I think I'm going to set my sights on the B&K sound. If anyone has a B&K amp they're looking to sell please let me know.
  • maxward
    What is it about the Parasound that you are not happy with?
  • dr1978
    Well I was pretty happy with it until I plugged it in for the first time and it started smoking!
  • dr1978
    Turned out to be a piece of junk, but at least I was refunded right away.
  • maxward
    That would do it. I probably should have reread the thread.
  • dr1978
    Man, that would be awesome. Way outta my price range and too big for my current rack as well. It did get me contemplating things for a minute, but there's no way.
  • gwh
    gwh Posts: 1,451
    GlennDog wrote: »
    How does an Adcom 5503 - 3 channel amp sound?
    200 W into 8 ohms .... 350 W in to 4
    57 pound behemoth

Are you selling one?
    HT:
    Martin Logan Motion 40
    Martin Logan Motion 50XT
    Emotiva Airmotiv E2
    SVS SB16 Ultra
    Def Tech Reference Sub
    Yamaha RX-A3070

Signal Cable speaker wires & interconnects.
  • audioluvr
    maxward wrote: »
    Probably. But I’m somewhat illiterate when it comes to that stuff. Plus I’m not sure what “thing” should replace it. Maybe a picture of Bill Frisell playing.

Post your password here we'll come up with something for you...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• maxward
    Thanks, audioluvr, but I have tech support in the form of my sons. I just need to get an idea for an avatar. Is yours a wind turbine under construction?
  • audioluvr
    Yup. One I was putting up.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• dr1978
    Thought I'd revive this thread. I'm still on the lookout for an amp, preferably B&K or Parasound. I need to keep this on the inexpensive side - a few hundred or so. I do have a pair of Signature S20's and an S35 that I could include in a trade if anyone's interested in them.

I'm in zip 24540 in case anyone is local to Southern VA.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,963
    I'm looking to upgrade from my HCA1000 and I'm also looking toward another Parasound or B&K. Let me know if the HCA I have would work for you, nothing wrong with it, last year had the power button replaced and benched at that time @ 150w/channel.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    What are you driving (left, center, right)?
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • dr1978
    Left and right. I have an AMC 2100 that I'll be driving my center with. At least that's the plan right now