Amp for rti a9

13»

Comments

• tonybtonyb Posts: 31,649
    Stevemac wrote: »
    Very informative info on this site from last year!
    Any current simple solutions(deals) for a 7.1 AVR with pre amp feature, and a proper power amp to feed my very new RtiA9 towers??
    Stevemac

All AVR's have a pre-amp section. Ideally you want an AVR with preouts that allows you to add an amplifier. Most here use Yamaha, Pioneer, Marantz receivers.

AMPS- You want one a bit warmer sounding to offset the brightness of the A9's. Parasound amps work well, B&k, McCormack, Belles, just to name a few. Buy used, save some coin.

Use good quality cables too.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,647
    Don't go with a pro amp. Seriously, DONT. I did, and now I’m stuck with it.
    Not Tom or Trey or Jim just Micah
    KEF Q150s, NAD 1155 preamp and 4155 tuner courtesy of DaddyJT, NAD C352 playing power amp, BJC Belden cables, Technics SL3200, Marantz CD6004 courtesy of Clipdat, Salamander Archetype rack, Millenium Falcon :)
    I've always thought the goal of high-end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.

Resident Child of Club Polk
  • rjmaurerrjmaurer Posts: 4
    I've been watching this tread for a while because I'm in the same boat - new A9s and feel they could use a bit more power.

A bit of background - this is my home theater system which is 7.1 using a Denon 3313ci AVR and in wall/ceiling RT line speakers. The fronts were my old Monitor 10s from the late 80s. I replaced the 10s with RTI A9s and while movies sounded great, 2 channel stereo seems a bit thin.

So to solve this I've ordered a Parasound A21. It arrives this week. I'll report back what my impressions are going from a 130 watts (stereo mode) AVR vs 250 watts power amp.
  • holden64holden64 Posts: 1
    Hi all new to this forum and a old audio nut from the early 80’s getting back into the game. I to recently got the RTi-A9 and need a new amp as well. Any recommendations to make these beasts sing to full potential without breaking the bank? I just want to run two sets of speakers for the sole purpose of music so a two channel is all I’m looking. My home theatre set up is a separate entity and sufficient as is. I currently run a Sony GX50ES receiver with a pair of PSB Avante speakers and then a 2nd pair of home builts from radio shack parts (yes I thought I was an audiophile in the day) but really just a handy experimental woodworker. They do sound not bad but now want to replace with the 9’s now help any advice! I live in Canada and don’t really want to spend more than 1500 if I can help it and willing to hike across the border for a parasound if you say so! Somewhere to Washington state if I have to lol
  • cory30189cory30189 Posts: 3
    I have a pair of RTI A9's also and i have a crown xls 2002 running them now, and i was thinking of upgrading to a Parasound 2250, but my biggest use is for home theater, video games, movies. Is it worth it to upgrade and will it make a noticable difference for my use of them?
  • verbverb Posts: 8,226
    Not much love for Crown here, but I would say that would be a huge upgrade. Welcome BTW!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
  • gp4jesusgp4jesus Posts: 1,260
    cory30189 wrote: »
    ...I was thinking of upgrading to a Parasound 2250, but my biggest use is for home theater, video games, movies. Is it worth it to upgrade and will it make a noticable difference for my use of them?
    should make significant SQ improvement.

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED
    Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro
    Samsung BDP, DirecTV Rcvr, Xbox 360, Dennon LDP, Phillips CD chgr

Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside; CC outside
    BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside & out
    8 ga Powerline - LR woofers, inside & out

LR: tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; M&T - 981
    CC: Rotel RB985 -> tri-amped CSi A6
    5 Audio Pro Subs: 1 B1.39: an Evidence at each corner
    Surrounds: Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3
    Power Conditioning & Distribution:
    3 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 4 Furman Miniport 20s
  • PhroPhro Posts: 3
    musichigh wrote: »
    I did find a gfa 555 in Edmonton. Used for 490 Canadian. The guy couldn't tell me how old it is though

I just found one of these for 450 locally. I don't know enough about how to use them with my RTIA9's and Sony Str Dn1080. Would this suit my needs?
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 6,010
    Phro wrote: »
    musichigh wrote: »
    I did find a gfa 555 in Edmonton. Used for 490 Canadian. The guy couldn't tell me how old it is though

I just found one of these for 450 locally. I don't know enough about how to use them with my RTIA9's and Sony Str Dn1080. Would this suit my needs?

Yes, it would power your 9s MUCH better than the receiver alone. Not the most refined power however. I would look for something like a B&K reference 200.2 or a parasound HCA-1200 or 1500.

However, the problem is that your receiver does not have preouts for the mains (only zone 2 and subs), so you cannot use ANY external amp with it. You will have to upgrade the receiver in order to add an amp...
    Living Room 2.1: Dynaudio Contour 1.3mkii; Energy s10.2 sub; Cambridge Azur 851a; Cambridge Azur 752BD; Bryston BPD-1; NVidia ShieldTV
    Game Room HT: Denon AVR-X4200w; Definitive Technology SM350; Definitive Technology LCR2000; Definitive Technology Procinema 800; Mirage Nanasats; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP;
    ; Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45, ACI Titan Subwoofer Squeezebox Touch
  • DaveHoDaveHo Posts: 2,492
    Could use one of these. It's not a solution I would choose, but it'll get the job done.

https://amazon.com/Speaker-Level-Converter-Adaptor-Control/dp/B007VTMSEO