Is This Real Life?

Nightfall
Nightfall Posts: 10,042
edited March 2018 in The Clubhouse
Am I dreaming? I'm going to go ahead and go die now, talk to you guys later.

UUHaBZD.jpg

aXlL2WK.jpg

ycLGTT1.jpg
afterburnt wrote: »
They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Mr Clean erasers?
  • Nightfall
    No, sir. Stupidity. Just another day for me I suppose. I thought "I can dust between the turntable and the cartridge without removing the cartridge just this one time, I got small hands." Then it happened. I just stared at it for a while before absolutely shouting "You f&*ing IDIOT!!!!!" at myself. My dog ran out of the room. I am so livid at myself right now.

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    edited March 2018
    You broke the stylus clean off! omg! Or jammed it up inside there!
  • Nightfall
    Has anyone done the Soundsmith thing? Is it worth it or should I just move on?

• Clipdat
    How expensive was this mistake?
  • Nightfall
    Clipdat wrote: »
    How expensive was this mistake?

It's a $1,000 cart new, I bought it from John used.

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    I'm no TT guy... But there's something missing
  • Clipdat
    tenor.gif
    Nightfall wrote: »
    It's a $1,000 cart new, I bought it from John used.

• Nightfall
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Josh, it's alright...we all have those moments where we think we can but can't. I'm fairly certain someone on here might have a cart for you.

I say it all the time lately it seems but crap happens...sometimes from great heights.

I'm starting to calm down already. That initial rush of anger was very real though.

*It* does indeed happen sometimes. I still have a job, food, and a roof - not the end of the world and all will be well.

• Nightfall
    I have the original LOMC Yamaha cartridge. My tube phono pre only does MM and HOMC though. I tried it once and it worked although much quieter. It didn't sound very good though, I suspect it's pretty wore out.

I get paid tomorrow though, I'll probably just buy a $99 Shure M97XE off Amazon to get me back up and going for now.

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited March 2018
    Oh man... brutal... a friend of mine had the same mishap after a few too many drinks. The cartridge was a clear audio Stradivari.. ouch!

Those 20x2’s are killer cartridges. They punch way above their price point.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Alright, what are we looking at, here? Obviously that is a football, but is that some electronic device for deflating footballs? Perhaps one of our members from southeastern New England could be of assistance?
  • Nightfall
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    Oh man... brutal... a friend of mine had the same mishap after a few too many drinks. The cartridge was a clear audio Stradivari.. ouch!

Did he end up going the Soundsmith route or did he just throw it in the trash and get a new one?

• Nightfall
    The Denon DL-110 is only about another $100 vs the Shure... I'll probably just do that for now while I save up and decide if I want to have Soundsmith put a new cantilever and tip on this Dynavector.

• mikeyb128

Did he end up going the Soundsmith route or did he just throw it in the trash and get a new one?

They have a 1500$ trade in value. So that will be the route.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    I'd look into the Soundsmith route ... breathe bro breathe
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Nightfall

Is that offer something direct from Clear Audio?

• mikeyb128

Is that offer something direct from Clear Audio?

Yes it is. Not sure what they do with them. Probably refurbished and sold as B stock?
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    Has anyone done the Soundsmith thing? Is it worth it or should I just move on?

Another good option is The Needle Clinic in Washington State. I have carts retipped by both Soundsmith and The Needle Clinic and the work is comparable. The advantage of the Needle Clinic is they are more reasonable and offer way faster turnaround. Soundsmith typically has quite a large back log.
  • afterburnt
    edited March 2018
    How is your dog, does he still think he's an idiot?
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Concerning cartridges with non (user) replaceable styli -- I know the question is not if, but rather when.

:(

We all feel your pain.

I am just waiting for the day I do that to my DL-103.
  • afterburnt
    Is this just fantasy?
    Caught in a landslide
    No escape from reality
    Open your eyes
    Look up to the skies and see
    I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy
    Because I'm easy come, easy go
    A little high, little low
    Anyway the wind blows, doesn't really matter to me, to me
  • Nightfall
    Thanks for the option @Dawgfish

I have a Denon DL-110 on the way. I was close to going with the Audio Technica AT440MLB because of the easily replaceable stylus but ultimately I've had the Denon on my setup before and it sounded great.

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I like your choice!

I just went out and checked what Denon cartridge is on my SL-1400MKII that I love. It's a Denon DL-160. :p

Bought it from a member here years ago. One of the best buys I ever made. ;)

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    dromunds wrote: »
    Dude, if you want I’ll loan you either a DL-110 or a Shure M97xe if you wanna cancel your order until you decide on Soundsmith

No dusting!!!