Is 5.2 worth the hassle?

mlistens03
mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
I am thinking about setting up my own 5.2 system. At this point I have a 2.2 channel system, with my LSi25s and one of the built in subs, along with my velodyne. I’m thinking about running cables behind me and either using my infinity speakers or my Boston Acoustics speakers (probably the Boston’s, as the infinities are a completely different sound) as surrounds, and with a Boston Acoustics center channel. The Boston speakers in question are Boston Acoustics CR75s, and a CRC center channel. I will probably switch these out later for LSi7s and a LSiC, but at this point, it’s what I got. Anyway, is 5.2 worth it for almost solely music listening? Or is it better to just stick with stereo for music? And if so, how should I set this up? I never looked into home theater, so I don’t really know.

Thanks again for all your help,
Micah

Comments

• Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    Unless you have a player capable of 5.1 audio as well as that material (SACDs) I’m not sure it would make sense to go to the trouble of setting up a 5.1 or 5.2 system.
    2 channels with a sub should sound terrific for music.
    If you plan to use the setup for Home Theater a 5.2 setup makes sense.
    I have 5.1 in HT currently but switch my AVR to 2.1 for music. I do have multi channel stereo but don’t like the sound as well as 2.1.
  • mlistens03
    I do not have a 5.1 CD player, but I think that my DVD player that I use should be able to do that as dvds are recorded in 5 channel usually, right?
    I will probably use it for movies occasionally, But I don’t know if setting this up is worth the occasional movie if it isn’t going to be as good for music.
    I should mention, I probably am not going to lose anything by doing this other than have one long piece of 45 foot cable cut into 3 peices (2 long, 1 short), and I don’t think that is such a big deal. I probably should just try it and see how I like it.
    So how do I set this up as in, where do the speakers go behind me?
  • mlistens03
    Oh and do you know if Apple Music or amazon prime music support 5 channel tracks?
  • mlistens03
    I just set it up and that was... AWESOME. You couldn’t even tell where it was coming from, it was just left and right, it did not sound at all like it was coming from in front of me. That was definitely the best listening experience I have ever had. I think I’m gonna keep it like this at least for now. I am going to get the LSi7s and LSiC later on, but I’m happy with this for right now.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    See, until you tried it, you didn't know what you were missing! Enjoy.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • mlistens03
    Haha, you’re right, and I will enjoy it. I’m definitely gonna try more new stuff with this system.
    Garth brooks has never sounded more real. Except now I can hear a lot of distortion, specifically when I listen to him (I could hear it before, but it’s more noticeable now).

Can you guys suggest some stands for my Boston CR75s? I have them sitting on top of my infinities right now, and it’s not pretty, and the infinities are huge, so I don’t know if they will work long term.

Thanks again,
    Micah
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Can you build your own stands?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mlistens03
    I guess I can, but I’ve never done it before, and I don’t know how to do it.
    Also, to add another challenge to this stand thing, I also need to be able to put LSi7s on it for when I find a pair.