woffer is not working in RT 15

tenappolee
tenappolee Posts: 7
edited April 2002 in Technical/Setup
Hello --I have a sick RT 15!!. It seems to have come down with quiet - itis. as far as the woofer is concerned. There was a slight to moderate smell associated with what ever burned out. The tweeter is fine and i am wondering if it could be the Dynamic balance or the crossover, or the voice coil. Where is a really good place to take the speaker in and around the Toronto- Canada area. Thanking you in advance-tenappolee.:confused:
Post edited by tenappolee on

Comments

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2002
    How long have you had it? They have a 5 year warranty. Call Polk and they will tell you what to do. Plus if it is out of warranty you (as a Club Polk member) should be able to get a discount if you order a new woofer or parts from Polk.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited April 2002
    tenappolee

Take the driver out of the cab and get a 9 volt battery. Get 2 wires and connect the battery to the driver for one second. If the driver is good it should jump about 3/8". If not the driver is bad and order one from Polk.
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • tenappolee
    edited April 2002
    Hello again ---Thankyou for the wonderful answers!! I purchased the rt 15's on june 14 99 but the store is now out of business but that's okay i will try the test on the speaker and if it is truly gone i will have it replaced. I never thought of the five year warranty it slipped my mind---THANKS--tenappolee:)
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2002
    I don't know if I would use a 9 volt, maybe an AA, 1.2 or so....

(I have heard of people doing it, just seems like a little much to put on that coil)

If it stank, you might have a toasted cap in the network, while you are in there, take a look around...

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • tenappolee
    edited April 2002
    Hello russman -- yes i definetly had a good stink happening and i have had a visual at the board mounted on the inside of the speaker but i don't see any substance protruding from any of the parts. And thanks for the tip on the battery size.---Tenappolee:)
  • nascarmann
    edited April 2002
    I don't know if I would use a 9 volt, maybe an AA, 1.2 or so....

OK! But this is how Reney at Polk Audio in San Diego told me how to test there drivers??:confused: What is the voltage on a AA?:confused:
  • RuSsMaN
    edited April 2002
    I'm not saying its wrong, but 'some' people say its too much voltage.....

AA is 1.2volts.

I personally think the amperage is too low to matter on either, but that's just what I've heard.... A lot of people use it to assure they have the polarity correct to. I've only had to do it once, and used a 9volt, but since I have been told its not the greatest idea....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • nascarmann
    edited April 2002
    10/4 Will the driver move the same distance with 1.2v? Or do you look for less movement?
  • tenappolee
    edited April 2002
    Thanks for all of your care and concern and when i have a chance i will take care of business. Come to think of it the battery test is how we always used to test speakers in our cars especially in the old BUG -- i guess that's why they called it the voltswagon!!
    Seeya --Tenappolee
  • RuSsMaN
    edited April 2002
    It should be noticeable, if polarity is correct (pos on the batt to pos on the speak), the driver should move out...

If its pos to neg, it should move in. The amount of movement I assume would be less with a 1.2, but it should still be there.....

Got me thinking, what if you a 12" with a HUGE magnet and voice coil...1.2 might not do squat....

Cheers,
    Russ

Hell, just hit it with some jumper cables off your car battery, then you will know the driver is fried for sure...
  • nascarmann
    edited April 2002
    i guess that's why they called it the voltswagon!!

LOL!smiley_rotflmao.gif