RTi A9 Crossover replacement

Speakerphile
Speakerphile Posts: 3
edited March 2018 in Electronics
Have a pair of A9's that I just replaced the tweeters on. They were both fried. Verified by no sound when hooked up directly to receiver. Spent $150+ on those, which I feel is a little excessive, but I digress. Installed, reassembled, still no sound from tweeters. Seems as though the crossovers are fried as well. Haven't called in yet to get the official price, but assuming they're about $50/ea, based on a previous post that listed the A7 XO's at about that price. Are there any alternative sources for the crossover? Putting $250 into a pair of speakers I only spent $500 on to begin with feels like a bit of a waste.

Before anyone asks, I was powering them with an Elite SC-05, which I've come to understand is much more underpowered for these speakers than I thought. Just had an XPA-3 delivered to remedy that problem.

Worst part is that the warranty only expired about 6 months ago...:(

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    edited March 2018
    You don't need new crossovers, you need to replace the 5 watt resistor you cooked along with the tweeters. Pull the crossovers, it'll be easy to spot. Replace with the same ohm value, but up the wattage value to 10 or 12 watts and get the Mills resistors not those cheap ceramic block types.

BTW, that was the wrong amp to buy for inherently bright speakers, which those are.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Thanks for the advice. You don't happen to have a link to the resistors I need to buy, do you? I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to electrical components. I am mechanically savvy though, and believe I could re-solder a new resistor.

Regarding the amp, would bi-wiring an MM7055 be a better match? Don't really want to spend more than $1k and need the third channel for a center.

Thank you for your help!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Bi-wiring will do zero for your problem. You need an amp with current, and some control on the volume dial.

Most use a warmer amp, since the 9's are fairly bright. Example would be Parasound HCA 1200 or 1500, B&k amps, McCormack amps, Belles, just to name some.

Try the resistor as mentioned above, but when you pull the crossover look for any other burned items on the board.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    Thanks for the advice. You don't happen to have a link to the resistors I need to buy, do you? I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to electrical components. I am mechanically savvy though, and believe I could re-solder a new resistor.

Regarding the amp, would bi-wiring an MM7055 be a better match? Don't really want to spend more than $1k and need the third channel for a center.

Thank you for your help!

I don't know the ohm value, so you'll have to look at your crossover. You can buy Mills resistors at Sonic Craft.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Thanks, that is helpful. I will pull it and look.

Regarding the Amp, unfortunately, I work for a retailer that I receive substantial discounts at, so the cost for other brands is significantly higher. Brands I have access to on the Amp side are Marantz, Arcam, Rotel & McIntosh(Out of price range). May just fix these and sell, buying different speakers that are a better match for the amp.
  • this might be old but I have never had a brightness issue on my A9S. i just turn down the treble.