Super Video or Component Video

scottvamp
scottvamp Posts: 3,277
edited August 2001 in Technical/Setup
Hello fellow polksters, santa came early this year aka (mastercard). I just ordered my front projection system. I wrote a previous thread on the overwhelming benifits of them over huge rear projections systems. Not to many responses though. Anyhow this projector is what they call HD compatable. Which I under stand to be such if the source is HD, say a standard DVD, that it will project it as such. The only other time this term has been used is on the Mit. TV's and meant that later on you had to buy a $1000 add on. My question-- is there a big difference running component video or super video? I understand that component got a big boost because of HD video. I am already invested in super video. No one seems to be able to answer this question. They say to try both (well duh) but I have in invest in component cable to find out, $100 to $200 bucks. Can any home theater buffs out there clear this up for me? Thanks Scottie
PS - if anyone has good advise on setting up a front projection system, my eyes are open.
Post edited by scottvamp on

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2001
    My only experience with differences between s-video and component video was a direct comparison of one of the large Sony Vega flat screen (non-hdtv version) and a DVD player with both outputs (I don't think the DVD was progressive scan but I'm not sure). The component video input was much better. I got the feeling that the screen had much depth with the component input. It was almost as if you could reach through and grab something rather than seeing a picture right against the glass. Pretty different setup than what you have so keep that in mind.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited August 2001
    If you're going to invest all that money in a video setup, you better get a progressive scan DVD player. In that case you'll have to use component video cables anyway.

Aaron
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited August 2001
    Thanks for the info., progressive scan is on my wish list but I going to what for them to come down in price.:)
  • schumach
    schumach Posts: 199
    edited August 2001
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2001
    I found that site to be enlightening. Thanks for posting it! It's hard to find a decent "this is what it is" description. If anyone knows of a similar site for CD, DVD, CDR, CDRW etc format descriptions please post it as well.
    Thanks,
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited August 2001
    1) RGB
    2) Component video
    3) S-Video
    4) Composite
    If your TV have the component video inputs, use them..., picture quality is much better than S-video....