Killer DIY test disc

cletusmcgee
cletusmcgee Posts: 25
edited April 2002 in Technical/Setup
for those of you out there who don't want to shell out for a sine wave test disc or the one you have does not have the frequency you need, try this.

1. download the demo of goldwave digital audio editor from goldwave.com

2. open up a new file, chose CD (44.1Khz, stereo) and enter in the duration that you want the test tone to last.

3. using the expression evaluator function, chose the waves catagory and select sine wave under the subcatagory.

4. enter in the frequency you want and then render the wavefrom.

5. save it as a .wav, repeat for other desired frequencies

6. burn it on a CD

most of you probably have an SPL meter so that with your disc and some graph paper you can plot the response of your system. It is especially useful for working around those nasty bass modes in your room and determinining crossover and phase settings. the pure bass sines are great for finding what resonates in your room too. I dunno, I'm too cheap to pick up the avia disc, plus, this is DIY-power to the people!
Post edited by cletusmcgee on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited April 2002
    Thanks
    that is just a cool post, the avia disk does do the same thing, the one sony made.
    But very cool none the less, I will be burning it!!!
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • vtec11
    vtec11 Posts: 82
    edited April 2002
    hey mantis,

are you the same mantis as on the dss forum ??
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited April 2002
    how's the quality/acuracy in making your own test disc in this method?
  • cletusmcgee
    cletusmcgee Posts: 25
    edited April 2002
    all the waves are the same amplitude if thats what you mean. and my freqency response graph is consistent with my rooms axial modes so it seems accurate to me. the tones are very clean sounding but are a bit louder than regular cd audio, so it's wise to turn the system down a bit. oh, and get ready to hear a lot of port noise...