New 2000 Cherokee XJ - Need Some Recommendations Polkies!

Hi all -

In an effort to get a solid vehicle for my daughter to drive - last weekend I purchased an older Jeep Cherokee XJ - 2000 model year. And no - that's for me, NOT for her! She'll get my newer car instead. (Though after riding around in it - she seemed perfectly willing to adopt my new Jeep). I'm not a stranger to Jeep's having modified an old YJ Wrangler when we lived in Boston. I enjoyed it immensely until the wife decided to sell it to a friend of ours - but that's another story LOL.

Anyhow - this one has already had the factory stereo replaced with an aftermarket head unit (JVC - 22W RMS into 4 and 50W peak allegedly) digital media only and BT - no CD, Cassette, or 8-track).

I have space it appears for four 6.5" speakers (round) without mods (I don't want to mod the stock speaker locations), and also am going to get an XJ Pod for the rear side panel that will hold up to an 8" DVC Sub. I also plan to dynamat roof under headliner and the pans and doors to the extent that I can.

A few questions I could use some help with - with the understanding I want to do this as reasonably as possible, but still have decent sound - (not sounding like tin-can crap). I prefer not to go separates FWIW.
  • Are the older 8" Polk EX series subs DVC? Saw one on the bay for cheap and would love a simple and inexpensive solution if thats it.
  • Any thoughts on the MB Quart "Discus" series DVC subs if that Polk doesn't work?
  • Which of the new Polk 6.5" speakers (5.25" also fits) would be best - taking into account shallow mounting depth is a plus in at least two of the stock locations, the rear roof has more space I think.
  • Anyone have a recommendation for a simple and durable 5-channel amp - I'm not looking to shake the neighborhood, I just want the fuller sound that will come with a sub.

Many thanks for your insights if you have them!
ow6edsr9g8pi.jpg

VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
SACD Marantz DV8300
Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
Yamaha YP-D6
Soundcraftsmen PCR800
Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
Pho-700 Phono Pre
Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    LOL, I can't tell if your daughter is giving you the stink-eye for taking that photo, or if she's smirking.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Definitely smirking LOL, she was really trying to work the ole "you should just leave this one here for me" angle all weekend. Funny though, my other (younger) daughter walked in the house (apparently, I wasn't there) and said, "Dad is really excited about this Jeep, it's totally ugly so just don't say anything to him about it". Ha!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• Clipdat
    edited February 2018
    I would be very surprised if they were DVC. It's almost certainly single.

I've actually used an 8" MB Quart car sub in the past and it was very nice. No complaints.

Best way to account for mounting depth concerns and other installation compatibility issues is to go on crutchfield.com and put in your car's make/model and then filter to speakers that will fit. Most of the time this is a good start. But then additionally, find out the maximum mounting depth for the speakers, and then look at and double check the manufacturer's mounting depth specification.

Regarding a 5 channel, you could probably get away with class-D: https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_68872_JVC-KS-AX3205D-1000W-5-Channel-Amp.html
    MrBuhl wrote: »
    [*] Are the older 8" Polk EX series subs DVC? Saw one on the bay for cheap and would love a simple and inexpensive solution if thats it.
    [*] Any thoughts on the MB Quart "Discus" series DVC subs if that Polk doesn't work?
    [*] Which of the new Polk 6.5" speakers (5.25" also fits) would be best - taking into account shallow mounting depth is a plus in at least two of the stock locations, the rear roof has more space I think.
    [*] Anyone have a recommendation for a simple and durable 5-channel amp - I'm not looking to shake the neighborhood, I just want the fuller sound that will come with a sub.

• MrBuhl
    Thanks @nbrowser, factory is 5.25 for sure, I had read on the various forums that you can do 6.5 though without modification depending on the drivers. Guess I have to get my read on again.

Hate to just delete the rears - not sure how familiar you are with the setup in the Cherokee but given the high location and slightly forward facing mounting, I think they aren't the typical low rear door installation and may actually be additive vs. not really present like the latter. If you have experience to the contrary, it's much appreciated!

Any one have any thoughts about which Polks to use? Ive been looking at the DB's? I guess it doesn't have to be Polk, but I'm partial to them as a Polkie, and price/value wise they always seem like a good bet. Get decent reviews online as well.

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• Clipdat
    These look sweet:

db652.jpg

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_112177_Polk-Audio-DB652-DB-6.5-inch-DB-652.html
    Any one have any thoughts about which Polks to use? Ive been looking at the DB's? I guess it doesn't have to be Polk, but I'm partial to them as a Polkie, and price/value wise they always seem like a good bet. Get decent reviews online as well.

• MrBuhl
    ^^ Those are the ones I have been looking at in fact! ^^ Crutchfield says they fit with no mods too.

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• Clipdat
    Since you are going to be using a sub, the low frequency extension for them isn't too important. Rather, the quality of the tweeter is, and this looks to use a high quality dome tweeter taken straight out of their signature series perhaps?
    ^^ Those are the ones I have been looking at in fact! ^^ Crutchfield says they fit with no mods too.

• MrBuhl
    nbrowser wrote: »

Rear door is fibreglass, vibrates like a mo...I had two XJs....always unhooked the rear speakers.

Yea - those '84-96 rear fiberglass hatches definitely have a rep - the later ones, including the 2000 I have are steel, and the speakers are in the roof vs. the back hatch.

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• Clipdat
    I just realized that the protective grill doubles as a wave guide. Look at that built in wave guide! So cool!
  • JLStice
    JLStice Posts: 41
    If you're going co-axial, either the DB652 or 651 will perform nicely afaik. You may have to widen the cut-out a little bit on the door metal (hammer, not saw), tap in new screw holes, which you'll want anyway. You have plenty of depth in the front doors, the DB65s are relatively shallow mount for the power they can handle, as compared to similar 6.5's from other namey brands. Polk has a knack for strong, compact basket design. As big a square of MAT as you can fit ( or a few layers) on the area immediately behind the front door speakers... while you have it open. The XJ is a noisy beast.

Iirc, there is a slight tweeter construction change between the 651 and 652, and as you can see the look is much sharper on those 652s. If you have a tan interior the 651s with the silver look go well. I run the older, silver tweeter 1s (not the 2's) in my WJ because I like to pay less for equipment and they're hidden behind grilles anyway... ymmv.

I was thinking about a 5 channel myself, but I just bit the bullet and am going to run three separate amps in my WJ for the ability to cross-over and trim where I need to. It's going to be a puzzle fitting them all under the back seat for sure. Maybe you're less picky. Was the 5-channel a space saving idea? Roomy, the XJ is not.

FWIW, there's a whole lot you can do in an XJ... I had a good friend who was running SPL comps with an XJ ... Kicker 6.5's all around and a pair of 15" Kicker L7s. The rear speakers come in handy - leave the back gate open and have a beer.

And it sure looks like you're going to be buying another Jeep for your daughter...