Just wondering

Now that I have my 703's and 704C dialed in across the front of my HT setup (5.1) I'm wondering if it's critical to match them with a set of 702f/x for surround? I currently have a set of FXi A4's that sound pretty darn good for both surrounds as well as the occasional multi channel music duty. The are in bipole mode, against the back wall, about 6 feet away and 1 foot above the listening position. Would timbre matching within the series make a big difference? I've been on a bit of a buying spree of late, and would prefer to not spend any more $$.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    For the most part the sound coming out of the surrounds is ambient, so not the critical.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,903
    agreed ^^^^

Save your coin or put it somewhere else in the system.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    thank you both. Much appreciated.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Jay---
    Off topic, Sub – Rhythmik F12SE....what's your impression
    I see you are using it for HT, but has it been used for music much???

Thanks
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Jaybeez
    Actually I used it for music for a couple of years along with a set of Ascend Sierra 2s.
    Loved it for music and may well move it back but find most of my 2 channel listening these days is near field which sort of minimizes the need for a sub.
    It also sounds great in HT and fits perfectly in the stand which is a huge plus with the Mrs.
    Not knowing the correct audiophile term, the F12 is “fast” and keeps up with everything I’ve thrown at it, both music and HT.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    TFS
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Sub sounds good. + a not unhappy lady. Sounds like a pair of keepers.
  • Jaybeez
    I might add that I do listen to music on the HT system. I run the Denon in pure direct mode (or whatever the button is labeled) which only fires the 703s and Rythmik and I believe bypasses all the room correction.
    Sounds pretty darn good with plenty of punch from the sub.